Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Trailer hitch lock is stuck

I bought an old used pickup truck a few months ago that has a trailer hitch
with a lock on it. I have the keys to the lock, but I can't get the lock to
open so I can remove the towbar/ball (or whatever that is called).

Here's a link to an online image of a lock that looks like the one I have:

http://www.pacifictrailers.com/index...4,s :0,i:110/

Hopefully, the link will work.

The lock has a press-type button on the end. The key goes in, and
everything seems to turn freely, etc. But I can't get the lock to come off
so I can pull the bar out and remove the towbar/ball.

I have used oil etc. to get everything loose, and I have tried tapping on
the mechanism. It just won't come apart. If I can't figure it out, I guess
I'll have to cut the lock off.

Does anyone have any suggestions of what else I could try?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/13/2012 7:04 PM, TomR wrote:
I bought an old used pickup truck a few months ago that has a trailer hitch
with a lock on it. I have the keys to the lock, but I can't get the lock to
open so I can remove the towbar/ball (or whatever that is called).

Here's a link to an online image of a lock that looks like the one I have:

http://www.pacifictrailers.com/index...4,s :0,i:110/

Hopefully, the link will work.

The lock has a press-type button on the end. The key goes in, and
everything seems to turn freely, etc. But I can't get the lock to come off
so I can pull the bar out and remove the towbar/ball.

I have used oil etc. to get everything loose, and I have tried tapping on
the mechanism. It just won't come apart. If I can't figure it out, I guess
I'll have to cut the lock off.

Does anyone have any suggestions of what else I could try?

Give me a pair of safety glasses and a DeWalt disc grinder and I'd have
it off in 60 seconds or so.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 05/13/2012 07:04 PM, TomR wrote:
I bought an old used pickup truck a few months ago that has a trailer hitch
with a lock on it. I have the keys to the lock, but I can't get the lock to
open so I can remove the towbar/ball (or whatever that is called).

Here's a link to an online image of a lock that looks like the one I have:

http://www.pacifictrailers.com/index...4,s :0,i:110/

Hopefully, the link will work.

The lock has a press-type button on the end. The key goes in, and
everything seems to turn freely, etc. But I can't get the lock to come off
so I can pull the bar out and remove the towbar/ball.

I have used oil etc. to get everything loose, and I have tried tapping on
the mechanism. It just won't come apart. If I can't figure it out, I guess
I'll have to cut the lock off.

Does anyone have any suggestions of what else I could try?

Abrasive cutoff wheel in an air cutoff tool or 4.5" angle grinder. Not
worth any more effort on a $20 part.

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Posted to alt.home.repair

You already did the oil and hammer method. Try to hammer harder!!!!
It's junk anyhow.....

If that dont work, use an angle grinder and cut it off. Thats a no
brainer....

Of course you'll have to buy a new one, but it dont have to be the
locking type unless you live in a real high crime area. The non-lock
type are about $5.

On Sun, 13 May 2012 19:04:30 -0

400, "TomR" wrote:

I bought an old used pickup truck a few months ago that has a trailer hitch
with a lock on it. I have the keys to the lock, but I can't get the lock to
open so I can remove the towbar/ball (or whatever that is called).

Posted to alt.home.repair

http://www.pacifictrailers.com/index...duct.prodInfo&....

Hopefully, the link will work.

The lock has a press-type button on the end. *The key goes in, and
everything seems to turn freely, etc. *But I can't get the lock to come off
so I can pull the bar out and remove the towbar/ball.

I have used oil etc. to get everything loose, and I have tried tapping on
the mechanism. *It just won't come apart. *If I can't figure it out, I guess
I'll have to cut the lock off.

Does anyone have any suggestions of what else I could try?

Could you straightn out the bent end of the bar using a large pipe
wrench or something else to get the needed leverage? Or, just cut the
bar off.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/13/2012 6:04 PM, TomR wrote:
I bought an old used pickup truck a few months ago that has a trailer hitch
with a lock on it. I have the keys to the lock, but I can't get the lock to
open so I can remove the towbar/ball (or whatever that is called).

Here's a link to an online image of a lock that looks like the one I have:

http://www.pacifictrailers.com/index...4,s :0,i:110/

Hopefully, the link will work.

The lock has a press-type button on the end. The key goes in, and
everything seems to turn freely, etc. But I can't get the lock to come off
so I can pull the bar out and remove the towbar/ball.

I have used oil etc. to get everything loose, and I have tried tapping on
the mechanism. It just won't come apart. If I can't figure it out, I guess
I'll have to cut the lock off.

Does anyone have any suggestions of what else I could try?

just have the local weld shop zip it off with a cutting torch.

Also, if that pin lock is that bad, the ball mount may never come out of
the receiver anyway.

--
Steve Barker
Posted to alt.home.repair

If the lock is stuck, the tow bar may also be rotted to the receiver. More
heat and beat. I've seen tow bars that were seriously stuck on.

One time, I also helped a friend remove a ball hitch from a SUV. That took
heat, and impact gun to get the bolts to loosen.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

wrote in message
You already did the oil and hammer method. Try to hammer harder!!!!
It's junk anyhow.....

If that dont work, use an angle grinder and cut it off. Thats a no
brainer....

Of course you'll have to buy a new one, but it dont have to be the
locking type unless you live in a real high crime area. The non-lock
type are about $5.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Why does the tow bar need to be removed?

Where are you? You're likely not in Arizona, where things don't rust.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"TomR" wrote in message
I bought an old used pickup truck a few months ago that has a trailer hitch
with a lock on it. I have the keys to the lock, but I can't get the lock to
open so I can remove the towbar/ball (or whatever that is called).

Here's a link to an online image of a lock that looks like the one I have:

http://www.pacifictrailers.com/index...4,s :0,i:110/

Hopefully, the link will work.

The lock has a press-type button on the end. The key goes in, and
everything seems to turn freely, etc. But I can't get the lock to come off
so I can pull the bar out and remove the towbar/ball.

I have used oil etc. to get everything loose, and I have tried tapping on
the mechanism. It just won't come apart. If I can't figure it out, I guess
I'll have to cut the lock off.

Does anyone have any suggestions of what else I could try?

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Nate Nagel" wrote in message
[...]

Good point. Unless I hear of some trick to get the lock off with the key,
I'll probably end up doing that. A friend of mine already offered to just
cut it off with his angle grinder.

I guess that I was thinking that since everything seems to move freely with
the lock itself, and the bar slides back and forth easily, that maybe I was
doing something wrong in how I was trying to unlock it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
You already did the oil and hammer method. Try to hammer harder!!!!
It's junk anyhow.....

If that dont work, use an angle grinder and cut it off. Thats a no
brainer....

Of course you'll have to buy a new one, but it dont have to be the
locking type unless you live in a real high crime area. The non-lock
type are about $5.

That's true. I don't need it to lock. I have another trailer hitch on my
car and I don't use a lock with that one.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in message
.. .
Why does the tow bar need to be removed?

I just want to be able to take it off because it sticks out and is in the
way.

Where are you? You're likely not in Arizona, where things don't rust.

I'm in New Jersey.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 13 May 2012 22:29:10 -0400, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:

Why does the tow bar need to be removed?

Where are you? You're likely not in Arizona, where things don't rust.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org

In some states, it is an equipment violation to leave them in place if
it extends more than a couple of inches beyond the bumper. Pull into
a parting space behind one and it becomes plain why it would not be
there.
Posted to alt.home.repair

When I have a trailer hitch, I tend to walk into it, and bang up my legs.

Yoo in Noo Joyzee? Ahm een Noo Yowk State.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"TomR" wrote in message
"Stormin Mormon" wrote in message
.. .
Why does the tow bar need to be removed?

I just want to be able to take it off because it sticks out and is in the
way.

Where are you? You're likely not in Arizona, where things don't rust.

I'm in New Jersey.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Stormin Mormon wrote:
When I have a trailer hitch, I tend to walk into it, and bang up my
legs.

Me too. Plus, with the towbar sticking out, when I haul stuff to the
landfill it makes it more difficult to back right up to the edge of the
dump-off point. And, if I have an extra heavy load (really too heavy for
the vehicle) the towbar hangs very low causing problems getting in and out
of driveway ramps etc. This just happened when I took a chimney down and
had a load of bricks and debris to take to the landfill.

Yoo in Noo Joyzee?

Joyzee.

Ahm een Noo Yowk State.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 14 May 2012 13:05:14 -0400, "TomR" wrote:

Stormin Mormon wrote:
When I have a trailer hitch, I tend to walk into it, and bang up my
legs.

Me too. Plus, with the towbar sticking out, when I haul stuff to the
landfill it makes it more difficult to back right up to the edge of the
dump-off point. And, if I have an extra heavy load (really too heavy for
the vehicle) the towbar hangs very low causing problems getting in and out
of driveway ramps etc.

I had a cargo carrier that went on via the trailer hitch. 16 y.o. car
probably with weak rear springs. Put my old stove on it and went to a
friend's house. His street has speed bumps and it really scraped on
those.

Instead of tapping the lock with a hammer, whack it hard (wear glasses
in case the hammer chips) . I guess the key should be turned when you
whack it.

This just happened when I took a chimney down and
had a load of bricks and debris to take to the landfill.

Yoo in Noo Joyzee?

Joyzee.

Ahm een Noo Yowk State.

Posted to alt.home.repair

I have the same type of cylinder lock without a key attached to my receiver. I think the lock is titanium so cutting will not likely work. I'm going to try the big hammer method and hope the lock pins inside the lock break.
For those wondering why we use such a heavy duty lock. I moved halfway across the Country towing a trailer with all of my worldly possessions. I still have all the stuff so I'll assume it worked.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Saturday, September 17, 2016 at 8:59:21 AM UTC-5, wrote:
I have the same type of cylinder lock without a key attached to my receiver. I think the lock is titanium so cutting will not likely work. I'm going to try the big hammer method and hope the lock pins inside the lock break.
For those wondering why we use such a heavy duty lock. I moved halfway across the Country towing a trailer with all of my worldly possessions. I still have all the stuff so I'll assume it worked.

"Titanium" is just a name...it makes you think something is strong! It's most likely hardened steel.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/17/2016 9:14 AM, bob_villa wrote:
On Saturday, September 17, 2016 at 8:59:21 AM UTC-5, wrote:
I have the same type of cylinder lock without a key attached to my receiver. I think the lock is titanium so cutting will not likely work. I'm going to try the big hammer method and hope the lock pins inside the lock break.
For those wondering why we use such a heavy duty lock. I moved halfway across the Country towing a trailer with all of my worldly possessions. I still have all the stuff so I'll assume it worked.

"Titanium" is just a name...it makes you think something is strong! It's most likely hardened steel.

Like your skull?

Titanium is a chemical element with symbol Ti and atomic number 22. It
is a lustrous transition metal with a silver color, low density and high
strength. It is highly resistant to corrosion in sea water, aqua regia,
and chlorine.

Symbol: Ti
Melting point: 3,034°F (1,668°C)
Atomic mass: 47.867 u ± 0.001 u
Electron configuration: [Ar] 3d24s2
Atomic number: 22
Discovered: 1791
Boiling point: 5,948°F (3,287°C)

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
I have the same type of cylinder lock without a key attached to my
receiver. I think the lock is titanium so cutting will not likely work. I'm
going to try the big hammer method and hope the lock pins inside the lock
break.
For those wondering why we use such a heavy duty lock. I moved halfway
across the Country towing a trailer with all of my worldly possessions. I
still have all the stuff so I'll assume it worked.

Is it really titanium or just branded "titanium"?

For example, Master Lock Titanium Series locks are made with a stainless
steel body and a hardened steel shrouded shackle.

http://www.masterlock.com/personal-use/product/187XD

Use an angle grinder with a metal cutting wheel. If you see sparks while
cutting it is made of steel.

If it actually is titanium then use a stone cutting wheel.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Saturday, September 17, 2016 at 9:29:11 AM UTC-5, Unquestionably Confused wrote:
[...]

Hey idiot, I was talking "titanium", as in a name...not the metal. Get with the ****ing program!
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/17/2016 9:27 AM, bob_villa wrote:
[...]

You mean those Kryptonite bicycle locks are not really made of . . .
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Saturday, September 17, 2016 at 9:59:21 AM UTC-4, wrote:
I have the same type of cylinder lock without a key attached to my receiver. I think the lock is titanium so cutting will not likely work. I'm going to try the big hammer method and hope the lock pins inside the lock break.
For those wondering why we use such a heavy duty lock. I moved halfway across the Country towing a trailer with all of my worldly possessions. I still have all the stuff so I'll assume it worked.

Why do you assume that the lock worked? How do you know that your trailer would have been
stolen if you didn't have a "heavy duty lock" or any lock at all for that matter?

Do you see evidence of tampering?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sunday, May 13, 2012 at 7:04:30 PM UTC-4, TomR wrote:
I bought an old used pickup truck a few months ago that has a trailer hitch
with a lock on it. I have the keys to the lock, but I can't get the lock to
open so I can remove the towbar/ball (or whatever that is called).

Here's a link to an online image of a lock that looks like the one I have:

http://www.pacifictrailers.com/index...4,s :0,i:110/

Hopefully, the link will work.

The lock has a press-type button on the end. The key goes in, and
everything seems to turn freely, etc. But I can't get the lock to come off
so I can pull the bar out and remove the towbar/ball.

I have used oil etc. to get everything loose, and I have tried tapping on
the mechanism. It just won't come apart. If I can't figure it out, I guess
I'll have to cut the lock off.

Does anyone have any suggestions of what else I could try?

Tom, did you ever get that trailer hitch lock off? I'm having the same problem. https://groups.google.com/forum/#!to...ir/v3ZbUNncQZs

Posted to alt.home.repair

My hip is made of titanium. I bought it because the name sounded cool. I am getting a titanium rod next. Rod equals Richard for this auto spell check freak.

Think notch as mentioned.
Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to Stormin Mormon, CampingMagic wrote:
If the lock works , turn the lock barrel quarter turn to the right. Use a
medium size flat blade screwdriver inserted upwards through the hole in the
bottom to unscrew the set screw and release the lock.
If you don't have the key, drill upwards through the bottom hole to allow
access with the screwdriver. It's about 1/4" hole and you are drilling
through a soft alloy.

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...ck-697443-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to TomR, CampingMagic wrote:
The Master Lock 30 Hitch Lock is held in place by a large set screw that is
tightened with a screwdriver through the hole underneath the lock. The key
allows the alloy barrel to be rotated to block screwdriver access to this hole.
If the key operates the lock loosen the set screw with a screwdriver.
If the key is missing or the lock does not work, drill upwards through hole
the get access with a screwdriver and loosen the set screw. Good Luck.

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...ck-697443-.htm