Mike Patterson

Default Trailer hitch question

I bought a 1-1/4 bolt-on frame hitch receiver, after getting it on I
noticed that the hole for the pin that locks the hitch into the
receiver is drilled _vertically_ instead of horizontally.

I've never seen one like this before, did I get a defective hitch?

Thanks
Mike
Mike Patterson
Please remove the spamtrap to email me.
"I always wanted to be somebody...I should have been more specific..." - Lily Tomlin
Vaughn

"Mike Patterson" wrote in message
I bought a 1-1/4 bolt-on frame hitch receiver, after getting it on I
noticed that the hole for the pin that locks the hitch into the
receiver is drilled _vertically_ instead of horizontally.

I've never seen one like this before, did I get a defective hitch?

Well, I have never seen one that way. But there are lots of things I
haven't seen. These things are highly individual to the make and monel of the
car it is made to fit. Can you get to both ends of the pin so you can easily
slide on the hitch pin clip? Can you see any reason why it would not work if it
were horizontal?

Vaughn

DanG

I don't know, but I have never seen one with the hole vertical. I
have never seen any ball assemblies with the hole vertical either.
How are you going to change hitches?
(top posted for your convenience)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Keep the whole world singing . . . .
DanG (remove the sevens)

"Mike Patterson" wrote in
message ...
I bought a 1-1/4 bolt-on frame hitch receiver, after getting it
on I
noticed that the hole for the pin that locks the hitch into the
receiver is drilled _vertically_ instead of horizontally.

I've never seen one like this before, did I get a defective
hitch?

Thanks
Mike
Mike Patterson
Please remove the spamtrap to email me.
"I always wanted to be somebody...I should have been more
specific..." - Lily Tomlin

Wayne

Sounds strange.
There would have to be inserts that have holes vertically as well.
If they exist, I'd say it was ok, if not there is a problem.

Wayne D.

On Sun, 18 Sep 2005 19:26:36 -0400, Mike Patterson
wrote:

I bought a 1-1/4 bolt-on frame hitch receiver, after getting it on I
noticed that the hole for the pin that locks the hitch into the
receiver is drilled _vertically_ instead of horizontally.

I've never seen one like this before, did I get a defective hitch?

Thanks
Mike
Mike Patterson
Please remove the spamtrap to email me.
"I always wanted to be somebody...I should have been more specific..." -
Lily Tomlin

Mike Patterson

Nope, the only compressor I've ever owned is still in the basement
collecting dust.

I hope for the sake of the family name that you got a good deal! :-)
Mike

On Mon, 19 Sep 2005 00:54:40 GMT, Ignoramus13700
wrote:

I am curious, are you the person from whom I bought an Atlas Copco
compressor.

On Sun, 18 Sep 2005 19:26:36 -0400, Mike Patterson wrote:
I bought a 1-1/4 bolt-on frame hitch receiver, after getting it on I
noticed that the hole for the pin that locks the hitch into the
receiver is drilled _vertically_ instead of horizontally.

I've never seen one like this before, did I get a defective hitch?

Thanks
Mike
Mike Patterson
Please remove the spamtrap to email me.
"I always wanted to be somebody...I should have been more specific..." - Lily Tomlin

Mike Patterson
Please remove the spamtrap to email me.
"I always wanted to be somebody...I should have been more specific..." - Lily Tomlin

Mike Patterson

On Sun, 18 Sep 2005 23:33:36 GMT, "Vaughn"
wrote:

"Mike Patterson" wrote in message
.. .
I bought a 1-1/4 bolt-on frame hitch receiver, after getting it on I
noticed that the hole for the pin that locks the hitch into the
receiver is drilled _vertically_ instead of horizontally.

I've never seen one like this before, did I get a defective hitch?

Well, I have never seen one that way. But there are lots of things I
haven't seen. These things are highly individual to the make and monel of the
car it is made to fit. Can you get to both ends of the pin so you can easily
slide on the hitch pin clip? Can you see any reason why it would not work if it
were horizontal?

Vaughn

Thanks to all for the reponses, I've since looked at the factory
drawings and the hole is definitely wrong. I'd guess somebody got it
in the jig wrong while welding it up in the factory.

Two problems with using it as-is, can't fit a pin in from above, so
I'd have to use a pin with the swiveling "keep" on the end and insert
from below, which isn't really a problem since I planned to use one of
those anyway (already bought one). Though it makes me a bit nervouse
about the possibility of the pin falling out...

The second and more serious problem is that the ball mounts that fit
into the receiver are all drilled horizontally. I'd have to drill them
out myself, don't think it would hurt the structural integrity much,
but it'd be a bitch to drill a 5/8" hole through an inch of steel
using my el-cheapo benchtop drill press. :-)

I've emailed the company I bought it from, I expect they'll be sending
me another hitch - I hope.
Mike
Mike Patterson
Please remove the spamtrap to email me.
"I always wanted to be somebody...I should have been more specific..." - Lily Tomlin

Larry Jaques

On Mon, 19 Sep 2005 03:25:52 GMT, with neither quill nor qualm, RoyJ
quickly quoth:

Since you have to take it back, why not get a 2" reciever? More
accessories, not just more capacity.

They're too heavy for his Yugo, you silly top-poster.

Mike Patterson wrote:
I bought a 1-1/4 bolt-on frame hitch receiver, after getting it on I
noticed that the hole for the pin that locks the hitch into the
receiver is drilled _vertically_ instead of horizontally.

I've never seen one like this before, did I get a defective hitch?

Thanks
Mike
Mike Patterson
Please remove the spamtrap to email me.
"I always wanted to be somebody...I should have been more specific..." - Lily Tomlin

- Metaphors Be With You -
http://diversify.com Web Application Programming

Mike Patterson wrote:
I bought a 1-1/4 bolt-on frame hitch receiver, after getting it on I
noticed that the hole for the pin that locks the hitch into the
receiver is drilled _vertically_ instead of horizontally.

I've never seen one like this before, did I get a defective hitch?

Thanks
Mike
Mike Patterson
Please remove the spamtrap to email me.
"I always wanted to be somebody...I should have been more specific..." - Lily Tomlin

Don't use this receiver! The attach hole is supposed to be horizontal
for structural reasons. Looking at the receiver AND the insert, there
is heavy vertical bending load on both parts. Vertical bending loads
cause tension and compression stresses which are carried by the top and
bottom, with shear load carried by the sides. Think of it as an I-beam
with two webs. I'm sure you've seen I-beams with lightening holes in
the web. Within limits, this does not impair the ability to carry
loads. Every cut or nick on the flange has a corresponding reduction
in the beam strength in bending.

With a vertical hole in your receiver mount, you might expect premature
fatigue cracking and failure. Paint "CONDEMNED" on it so nobody else
can make the mistake of using it.

Pat
(Mechanical Engineer)

RoyJ

Makes no difference on the reciever size, the capacity is determined by
the vehicle. And since you insult me about top posting, why don't you
read my post that says the reason for the 2" reciever is for the
ACCESSORIES you can use. Or don't you ever get off you duff and ride a
bike? Or use a small winch to get youself unstuck? Or need an exterior
platform to LEGALLY transport an LP or Acetelyene cylinder.

Mike Patterson wrote:

I bought a 1-1/4 bolt-on frame hitch receiver, after getting it on I
noticed that the hole for the pin that locks the hitch into the
receiver is drilled _vertically_ instead of horizontally.

I've never seen one like this before, did I get a defective hitch?

Thanks
Mike
Mike Patterson
Please remove the spamtrap to email me.
"I always wanted to be somebody...I should have been more specific..." - Lily Tomlin

- Metaphors Be With You -
http://diversify.com Web Application Programming

Leo Lichtman

"RoyJ" wrote: (clip) Makes no difference on the reciever size, the capacity
is determined by the vehicle. (clip)
I think Larry meant the weight of the receiver itself would be too much for
a Yugo. Also, I thought he was joking.

Bob May

I'd rather redrill the hole in the right orientation. Putting the pin in
from the bottom is just looking for trouble.

--
Why do penguins walk so far to get to their nesting grounds?