Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Trailer hitch lock is stuck

Why does the tow bar need to be removed?

Where are you? You're likely not in Arizona, where things don't rust.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"TomR" wrote in message
I bought an old used pickup truck a few months ago that has a trailer hitch
with a lock on it. I have the keys to the lock, but I can't get the lock to
open so I can remove the towbar/ball (or whatever that is called).

Here's a link to an online image of a lock that looks like the one I have:

http://www.pacifictrailers.com/index...4,s :0,i:110/

Hopefully, the link will work.

The lock has a press-type button on the end. The key goes in, and
everything seems to turn freely, etc. But I can't get the lock to come off
so I can pull the bar out and remove the towbar/ball.

I have used oil etc. to get everything loose, and I have tried tapping on
the mechanism. It just won't come apart. If I can't figure it out, I guess
I'll have to cut the lock off.

Does anyone have any suggestions of what else I could try?