Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Chain saw brand

I'm searching for a used chainsaw and want to know what are good brands to
look for.

Thank you

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Meanie" wrote in message ...
I'm searching for a used chainsaw and want to know what are good brands to
look for.

Thank you

Stihl first, Husqvarna second. Save yourself a lot of time and trouble, and
don't even think about anything else. Buy a good one, and don't worry about
another for ten or twenty years.

Yes, I know, people will write in after this and tell glorious stories of
their Mac and Echo and Poulans that lasted generations. And then there's
all the ones in the landfill that people don't talk about.

Look at features before you buy, and buy according to what you will use it
for. Engine size, bar size, etc.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Meanie" wrote in :

I'm searching for a used chainsaw and want to know what are good brands to
look for.

It's not possible to give a meaningful answer to that question without knowing how much you
are going to use it, and what you will be using it for.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 7, 4:20*pm, "Meanie" wrote:
I'm searching for a used chainsaw and want to know what are good brands to
look for.

Thank you

Stick with the major brands, Stihl, Husky. Echo is comin along. Do
not buy
any saw that was sold in the 'big box stores'. Those are all cheap
pieces of junk no matter what the brand name.

Best will be a professional grade saw that has a dealer near you as
you _will) be taking it in occasionally.

Harry K.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/7/2012 6:20 PM, Meanie wrote:
I'm searching for a used chainsaw and want to know what are good brands to
look for.

Thank you

there is no "S" on brands in this question. There is only ONE brand of
chainsaw. STIHL. the rest are toys.

www.stihlusa.com

--
Steve Barker

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 7 May 2012 16:36:47 -0700, "Steve B" wrote:

Stihl first, Husqvarna second. Save yourself a lot of time and trouble, and
don't even think about anything else. Buy a good one, and don't worry about
another for ten or twenty years.

I agree with these brands being the best, but Echo are also very good.
Whatever you do, do not buy a Homelite. They were always the worst.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 8 May 2012 12:13:40 +0000 (UTC), Doug Miller
wrote Re Chain saw brand:

I can't believe all the nonsense I'm reading in these responses. None of you have any idea
what the guy wants a chain saw for,

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0324216/

and to insist -- without knowing this -- that he simply must
have a Stihl, is simply idiotic.

wrong
Posted to alt.home.repair

You know, that's very thoughtful. Over the years, I've owned six or seven
saws. Light duty, occasional home owner use. The one I have the most success
is a rebuilt Homelite, I bought years ago.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"Doug Miller" wrote in message

I'm searching for a used chainsaw and want to know what are good brands to
look for.

It's not possible to give a meaningful answer to that question without
knowing how much you
are going to use it, and what you will be using it for.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote Re Chain saw brand:

I can't believe all the nonsense I'm reading in these responses.
None of you have any idea what the guy wants a chain saw for,

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0324216/

and to insist -- without knowing this -- that he simply must
have a Stihl, is simply idiotic.

wrong

And the view of someone from New York City on chainsaws is meaningful?

Posted to alt.home.repair

.

"Doug Miller" wrote in message
I'm searching for a used chainsaw and want to know what are good brands to
look for.

It's not possible to give a meaningful answer to that question without
knowing how much you
are going to use it, and what you will be using it for.

You probably got one of the saws built back when Homelight was
building real, professional saws. I think the last series was the
"Homelight XXX". I had a Homelite 360 Pro -. After that they went
the way of Poulan and McCullough and started building
cheap POS for the big box market.

Harry K
Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 8, 5:57*am, Frank wrote:
On 5/8/2012 8:13 AM, Doug Miller wrote:

Steve *wrote in news:4
:

On 5/7/2012 6:20 PM, Meanie wrote:
I'm searching for a used chainsaw and want to know what are good brands to
look for.

Thank you

there is no "S" on brands in this question. *There is only ONE brand of
chainsaw. *STIHL. *the rest are toys.

I can't believe all the nonsense I'm reading in these responses. None of you have any idea
what the guy wants a chain saw for, and to insist -- without knowing this -- that he simply must
have a Stihl, is simply idiotic.

If he heats with wood, and will be using the saw for six hours every weekend cutting
firewood, then, yes, he probably needs a Stihl.

If he's a typical homeowner who's only going to use it for a few hours a year, *any* chain
saw will do _just_fine_.

That was me, and I bought a Poulan which worked well until oil pump
failed and I had repaired under warranty. *It only had a few hours on
it. *Now to start it, I have to tape the trigger down as the trigger
lock is broken. *My son bought one and it quit working after only a
couple of hours use.

I will never buy another chain saw advertised for occasional use and the
Poulan brand is on my s-list.

My experience with the big box saws is limited to one. My neighbor
bought one and asked me to show him how to set it up and use.

1. Would not run. Start on choke jusst fine and die as soon as it
was taken off choke.
2. Broke the chainbrake (cheap thin plastic) handle just setting it
down crooked.

Saw went back to the store the next day and never cut even a sliver.

Harry K

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in message
You know, that's very thoughtful. Over the years, I've owned six or seven
saws. Light duty, occasional home owner use. The one I have the most
success
is a rebuilt Homelite, I bought years ago.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
.

"Doug Miller" wrote in message

I'm searching for a used chainsaw and want to know what are good brands
look for.

It's not possible to give a meaningful answer to that question without
knowing how much you
are going to use it, and what you will be using it for.

I picked up an old 40+ year-old McCulloch a few years back at a garage sale
for $5.
It's ugly, scared, beaten up loud, and shakes twice as hard than a Milwaukee
vibrator with religious fervor.
It even has a lousy design that if you are careless removing the air filter,
the screw can easily fall into the open cylinder below it.
But the damn thing starts on the 2nd pull EVERY TIME, and only needs fuel,
chain oil and a sharp chain to do whatever I ask of it.
It's my go to chain saw. for real work.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Doug Miller" wrote in message
. ..
"Meanie" wrote in :

I'm searching for a used chainsaw and want to know what are good brands
look for.

It's not possible to give a meaningful answer to that question without
knowing how much you
are going to use it, and what you will be using it for.

I must be stupid. I understood the person perfectly.

Go figger.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Steve Barker" wrote in message
On 5/7/2012 6:20 PM, Meanie wrote:
I'm searching for a used chainsaw and want to know what are good brands
look for.

Thank you

there is no "S" on brands in this question. There is only ONE brand of
chainsaw. STIHL. the rest are toys.

www.stihlusa.com

--
Steve Barker

I agree with you on that. I bought a Husky, and although I am happy with
it, if I was to go buy another today, I would buy a Sthil. And with a
longer bar.

We will go this summer/fall, and gather about ten cords of wood, maybe
fifteen. We are rigging up to bring home 16' logs, then cut and split as we
take them off the trailer. Last year, I was doing limbing, and small logs,
while the two guys with the Stihls were doing the real work, particularly
the guy with the 440 Magnum. That's a saw!

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/8/2012 8:13 AM, Doug Miller wrote:

If he's a typical homeowner who's only going to use it for a few hours a year, *any* chain
saw will do _just_fine_.

I used to have one of those POS saws from a big box store. The thing
would not idle. Set it down for 10 seconds and it would die. Then you'd
have to pull your guts out to get it started again. Consequently I found
myself trying to hold the chainsaw and keep it running while I tried to
reposition a branch or log with my foot. Yah, I know, major-league stupid.

Anyway, I wised up and bought a Stihl. Never looked back.

Posted to alt.home.repair

I had a similar problem, with a saw. My Homelite PS-33 works fine, and idles
while I set it down.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"Snake Doc" wrote in message ...

I used to have one of those POS saws from a big box store. The thing
would not idle. Set it down for 10 seconds and it would die. Then you'd
have to pull your guts out to get it started again. Consequently I found
myself trying to hold the chainsaw and keep it running while I tried to
reposition a branch or log with my foot. Yah, I know, major-league stupid.

Anyway, I wised up and bought a Stihl. Never looked back.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Thank you all for your answers.

I have no real idea how often I'll use the saw. In fact, that point is
irrelevant as I prefer a quality brand which I know will remain solid with
continuous use or if it's on the shelf collecting dust for most of the year.
IMO, quality brands will still start right up without fail even after
sitting for long periods.

I believe I'll buy a Stihl.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Steve Barker" wrote

If he's a typical homeowner who's only going to use it for a few hours a
year, *any* chain
saw will do _just_fine_.

yeah, _IF_ it'll start when he needs it. And _IF_ the chain doesn't break
and slap the **** out of his arm. and and and.....

--
Steve Barker

Touche. (Sorry, can't fine the little mark that goes over the e on this
keyboard.)

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Doug Miller" wrote

If the chainsaw sees use only three times a year, it doesn't matter if it
starts on the first pull or
the tenth pull.

It matters to me. They chainsawed my sternum in half, then put it back
together with Crazy Glue and stainless steel wires. I like saws that start
on the first or second pull. But I guess that's one of the slight
differences between a good and a bad chainsaw.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Steve B" wrote in message

"Doug Miller" wrote

If the chainsaw sees use only three times a year, it doesn't matter if it
starts on the first pull or
the tenth pull.

It matters to me. They chainsawed my sternum in half, then put it back
together with Crazy Glue and stainless steel wires. I like saws that
start on the first or second pull. But I guess that's one of the slight
differences between a good and a bad chainsaw.

I've had a variety of saws over the years
I even have a 15+ year old Sears (42cc -18")
It has started every time I used it.
It got 5 days of sunrise to Sunset use a few years back when a Tornado tore
trough a town near my cabin, and I volunteered to help with the cleanup, and
loaned it to someone working with me..
All I needed to do with that one was keep feeding it gas, bar oil, sharp
chains and a new bar after 3 days..

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Frank" wrote in message
[...]

Agreed that the newer chainsaws are crap
Poulan and Sears are now identical except for color scheme.
But I have enough of the old (pre-plastic parts) stuff to last the rest of
my life.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"HeyBub" wrote in message
news
wrote Re Chain saw brand:

I can't believe all the nonsense I'm reading in these responses.
None of you have any idea what the guy wants a chain saw for,

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0324216/

and to insist -- without knowing this -- that he simply must
have a Stihl, is simply idiotic.

wrong

And the view of someone from New York City on chainsaws is meaningful?

Well they do have trees in and around NYC.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Ron Ron is offline

On May 8, 6:59*pm, "Steve B" wrote:
"Doug Miller" wrote in message

. ..

Steve Barker wrote in news:4
:

On 5/7/2012 6:20 PM, Meanie wrote:
I'm searching for a used chainsaw and want to know what are good brands
look for.

Thank you

there is no "S" on brands in this question. *There is only ONE brand of
chainsaw. *STIHL. *the rest are toys.

I can't believe all the nonsense I'm reading in these responses. None of
you have any idea
what the guy wants a chain saw for, and to insist -- without knowing
this -- that he simply must
have a Stihl, is simply idiotic.

If he heats with wood, and will be using the saw for six hours every
weekend cutting
firewood, then, yes, he probably needs a Stihl.

If he's a typical homeowner who's only going to use it for a few hours a
year, *any* chain
saw will do _just_fine_.

That is true. *However, with *any* chain *saw, I bet he's back within three
years asking about chain saws again. *Poulans, Macs, and Echos make mighty
fine boat anchors. *Other than that, if you use them more than 8 hours
total, they ain't worth. *MHO only.

I have an 8 yr old Poulan Wood Shark. Works just fine.

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

On 5/8/2012 7:08 PM, Attila.Iskander wrote:

I've had a variety of saws over the years
I even have a 15+ year old Sears (42cc -18")
It has started every time I used it.

I don't suppose it would have gotten much use on the times it didn't...

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Frank" wrote in message
[...]

AFAIK, the craftsman saws have always been made by Poulan. We had a
Poulan for a while (1980's) until someone decided they liked it better
than we did. It worked ok.

--
Steve Barker
Posted to alt.home.repair

"dpb" wrote in message ...
On 5/8/2012 7:08 PM, Attila.Iskander wrote:

I've had a variety of saws over the years
I even have a 15+ year old Sears (42cc -18")
It has started every time I used it.

I don't suppose it would have gotten much use on the times it didn't...

Actually at one time, it was my primary
Now it's relegated to a backup role
But that still gets it cranked up and used long enough for the chain to get
dull at least once a year,
I do that with all my tools that are duplicated.
That way, I'm pretty sure they'll start and work when needed

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Frank" wrote in message
[...]

History is interesting
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Poulan

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/8/2012 7:01 PM, Attila.Iskander wrote:

"Steve Barker" wrote in message
On 5/8/2012 7:13 AM, Doug Miller wrote:
Steve wrote in news:4
:

[...]

What makes you imagine that a chain wouldn't have the courage the break
on a ("holy") Stihl ??

I've never seen it happen. With 5 Stihls, 30+ years and hundreds of cords
of Osage Orange (hedge) cut.

And I've never seen it happen ever, and spent some time as a topper and
faller during my student days 40+ years ago
But then, I did more than just chop wood to make cords.
Recently got a good deal on a small Solo trimming saw. Used it to top an old
birch that was too close to the cabin.
By my drop line, I was 49' up the tree for the first cut, and 35' for the
second.
That little solo was small and light enough to be comfortable and easy to
handle.
It was actually fun to put in spikes and climb a tree.
The saw was light enough to trim branches one-handed on the way up, and
was still strong enough to cut through the trunk.
It's now all purpose trimmer saw
I'm also using it to teach the wife and kids how to handle a saw.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Ron Ron is offline

On May 8, 10:34*pm, "Attila.Iskander"
wrote:
Recently got a good deal on a small Solo trimming saw.

Can you use it to trim your posts?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/8/2012 10:11 PM, Ron wrote:
On May 8, 10:34 pm,
wrote:
Recently got a good deal on a small Solo trimming saw.

Can you use it to trim your posts?

as long as they are wood posts and not steel posts.

--
Steve Barker
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Meanie" wrote:
Thank you all for your answers.

I have no real idea how often I'll use the saw. In fact, that point is
irrelevant as I prefer a quality brand which I know will remain solid with
continuous use or if it's on the shelf collecting dust for most of the year.
IMO, quality brands will still start right up without fail even after
sitting for long periods.

I believe I'll buy a Stihl.

The only fault I see with my husky, the label slips off. It's a sticker. My
brother uses an old sears. Probably at least 40 years old. With the husky,
never had to pull more than twice, and it does have compression release. I
used to use a little piece of crap, from the 60's. Very small. Got my jobs
done. I stopped using it when the gas pump went bad.

Greg
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Meanie" wrote in message ...
I'm searching for a used chainsaw and want to know what are good brands to
look for.

Thank you

Stihl first, Husqvarna second. Save yourself a lot of time and trouble, and
don't even think about anything else. Buy a good one, and don't worry about
another for ten or twenty years.

I thought Husqvarna was just another MTD brand now. THeir mowers sure look
like it.