Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Chain saw brand

On Tue, 8 May 2012 19:09:23 -0500, "Attila.Iskander"
wrote:

"HeyBub" wrote in message
news
Vinny From NYC wrote:
On Tue, 8 May 2012 12:13:40 +0000 (UTC), Doug Miller
wrote Re Chain saw brand:

I can't believe all the nonsense I'm reading in these responses.
None of you have any idea what the guy wants a chain saw for,

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0324216/

and to insist -- without knowing this -- that he simply must
have a Stihl, is simply idiotic.

wrong

And the view of someone from New York City on chainsaws is meaningful?

Well they do have trees in and around NYC.

I don't think they allow chain saws in Central Park, though.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/8/2012 11:11 PM, Ron wrote:
On May 8, 10:34 pm,
wrote:
Recently got a good deal on a small Solo trimming saw.

Can you use it to trim your posts?

+1
ROFLMAO!
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 8 May 2012 20:46:32 +0000 (UTC), Doug Miller
wrote Re Chain saw brand:

If the chainsaw sees use only three times a year, it doesn't matter if it starts on the first pull or
the tenth pull.

wrong
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Frank" wrote in message
On 5/8/2012 9:39 PM, Attila.Iskander wrote:

"Steve Barker" wrote in message
On 5/8/2012 7:08 PM, Attila.Iskander wrote:

"Frank" wrote in message
On 5/8/2012 8:13 AM, Doug Miller wrote:
Steve wrote in news:4
:

On 5/7/2012 6:20 PM, Meanie wrote:
I'm searching for a used chainsaw and want to know what are good
brands to
look for.

Thank you

there is no "S" on brands in this question. There is only ONE
brand of
chainsaw. STIHL. the rest are toys.

I can't believe all the nonsense I'm reading in these responses. None
of you have any idea
what the guy wants a chain saw for, and to insist -- without knowing
this -- that he simply must
have a Stihl, is simply idiotic.

If he heats with wood, and will be using the saw for six hours every
weekend cutting
firewood, then, yes, he probably needs a Stihl.

If he's a typical homeowner who's only going to use it for a few
hours a year, *any* chain
saw will do _just_fine_.

That was me, and I bought a Poulan which worked well until oil pump
failed and I had repaired under warranty. It only had a few hours on
it. Now to start it, I have to tape the trigger down as the trigger
lock is broken. My son bought one and it quit working after only a
couple of hours use.

I will never buy another chain saw advertised for occasional use and
the Poulan brand is on my s-list.

Agreed that the newer chainsaws are crap
Poulan and Sears are now identical except for color scheme.
But I have enough of the old (pre-plastic parts) stuff to last the rest
of my life.

AFAIK, the craftsman saws have always been made by Poulan. We had a
Poulan for a while (1980's) until someone decided they liked it better
than we did. It worked ok.

History is interesting
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Poulan

Is interesting.
In my many years, I've seen brand quality go up and down in washing
machines, lawn mowers and cars.
In general, US trend is to make a good product, then find a way to make it
cheaper and the brand suffers.
Japanese have tended to make a poor, cheap product and make it better.
That's when I started buying Japanese cars when their quality exceeded
American.

Indeed
Being COMPLETELY and without question loyal to one brand to the point of
never considering anything else, is just foolish.
Also claiming that only one brand is the be-all and end-all of the decisions
making process is not any better.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"dpb" wrote in message ...
On 5/8/2012 8:36 PM, Attila.Iskander wrote:
"dpb" wrote in message

I don't suppose it would have gotten much use on the times it
didn't...

Actually at one time, it was my primary

Whooosh...

Sounds like it's windy where you are
Have you considered ear plugs to reduce the volume of wing going between
your ears ?
Could help reduce that whooshing sound you hear.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Steve B" wrote in :

What's a good brand of chainsaw?

Stihl or Husqvarna.

I've found, over the years, that most of the time when a person tells me that [most-expensive
brand] is the only brand of [object] that's worth buying, he's not trying to convince *me* of that.

He's trying to reassure *himself* that he didn't waste his money when he bought his.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/9/2012 10:02 AM, Steve B wrote:
"Doug wrote in message

No, you only think you did. You don't have enough information to make an
intelligent answer
to his question. And -- surprise! -- you didn't.

Hmmmmm.

What's a good brand of chainsaw?

Stihl or Husqvarna.

According to the last part of your post, I am not the only stupid person
here. Do you want to start a 12 step program meeting?

Steve

I've noticed Asplundh tree service uses Stihl exclusively. They maintain
thousands of miles of power lines in our state so I think they know what
the **** they're doing. I've never seen anyone in an Asplundh bucket
running a Poulan or a Homelite. LOL!

If I couldn't afford a Stihl, I'd prolly just buy a good quality
arborist's hand saw.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Doug wrote in message

No, you only think you did. You don't have enough information to make an
intelligent answer
to his question. And -- surprise! -- you didn't.

Hmmmmm.

What's a good brand of chainsaw?

Stihl or Husqvarna.

According to the last part of your post, I am not the only stupid person
here. Do you want to start a 12 step program meeting?

Steve

I've noticed Asplundh tree service uses Stihl exclusively. They maintain
thousands of miles of power lines in our state so I think they know what
the **** they're doing. I've never seen anyone in an Asplundh bucket
running a Poulan or a Homelite. LOL!

If I couldn't afford a Stihl, I'd prolly just buy a good quality
arborist's hand saw.

anytime you see a forest firefighter team at work on the news or a tv
show, guess what brand saw is in their hand? There's a reason Stihl is
number one.

--
Steve Barker
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Doug Miller" wrote in message
. ..
"Steve B" wrote in :

What's a good brand of chainsaw?

Stihl or Husqvarna.

I've found, over the years, that most of the time when a person tells me
that [most-expensive
brand] is the only brand of [object] that's worth buying, he's not trying
to convince *me* of that.

He's trying to reassure *himself* that he didn't waste his money when he
bought his.

Actually, what reinforces my belief that I bought a good chain saw (Husky)
is hearing all the whiners who are looking for a new chain saw after one or
two or three years of normal use with their el cheapo chain saws.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Doug wrote in message

No, you only think you did. You don't have enough information to make an
intelligent answer
to his question. And -- surprise! -- you didn't.

Hmmmmm.

What's a good brand of chainsaw?

Stihl or Husqvarna.

According to the last part of your post, I am not the only stupid person
here. Do you want to start a 12 step program meeting?

Steve

I've noticed Asplundh tree service uses Stihl exclusively. They maintain
thousands of miles of power lines in our state so I think they know what
the **** they're doing. I've never seen anyone in an Asplundh bucket
running a Poulan or a Homelite. LOL!

sigh
That's like claiming that you've never seen a fighter pilot go to war in a
hang-glider.
But hey, the fun part of usenet is having idi, er individuals make that
kind of argument in all seriousness.

If I couldn't afford a Stihl, I'd prolly just buy a good quality
arborist's hand saw.

There you go
Stick to what you can handle.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Steve B" wrote in :

What's a good brand of chainsaw?

Stihl or Husqvarna.

I've found, over the years, that most of the time when a person tells me
that [most-expensive
brand] is the only brand of [object] that's worth buying, he's not trying
to convince *me* of that.

He's trying to reassure *himself* that he didn't waste his money when he
bought his.

Actually, what reinforces my belief that I bought a good chain saw (Husky)
is hearing all the whiners who are looking for a new chain saw after one or
two or three years of normal use with their el cheapo chain saws.

Uh-huh. Keep telling yourself that.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Steve B" wrote in :

[...]

Funny.
He was pushing Stihl but bought a Husky
Can you see the disconnect and possible hypocrisy ?

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Attila.Iskander" wrote in :

Funny.
He was pushing Stihl but bought a Husky
Can you see the disconnect and possible hypocrisy ?

http://groups.google.com/group/alt.h...c?dmode=source
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Doug Miller" wrote in message
. ..
"Attila.Iskander" wrote in
:

Funny.
He was pushing Stihl but bought a Husky
Can you see the disconnect and possible hypocrisy ?

http://groups.google.com/group/alt.h...c?dmode=source

Interesting
He's a thief too...

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Steve B" wrote in :

[...]

You're right, Doug. You're always right. I mean, you wrote it, so it must
be right. And you just keep on sawing two branches a year with your little
saw, there. Anyone who cuts more than a cord a winter knows the real skinny
about chain saws. The rest are just occasional users, and any old thing
will work.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Steve B" wrote in message

[...]

I have a refurbished Sears 42cc 18" chain saw, that I bought 17 years ago
for about $60 (if memory serves)
Have kept it in a case in the back of the pickup for about 5 years year
round.
Used it to salvage firewood and interesting lumber for a friend who carves
and makes bowls.
I still have it and it still works
GO figure
Just the savings on buying that "cheap' saw paid for a bunch of other saws I
bought in the following years.
Many of those have been passed on to good homes where they are
appreciated, even though they are not Stihls..

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Steve B" wrote in :

[...]

If you only cut a cord a year, you wasted your money.

FWIW, I just finished cutting up a fallen tree in my back yard, a large cherry about 60 years
old. We had to haul close to half of it to the dump because it was full of termites. After
splitting and stacking the rest, it amounts to around 2/3 cord -- would have been over a cord,
definitely, if the wood had all been sound. The saw? A 16" Poulan that I bought at Lowe's
about ten years ago -- which, according to you, is just a toy.

Conclusion: you're FOS.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/10/2012 1:51 PM, Doug Miller wrote:

FWIW, I just finished cutting up a fallen tree in my back yard, a large cherry about 60 years
old. We had to haul close to half of it to the dump because it was full of termites. After
splitting and stacking the rest, it amounts to around 2/3 cord -- would have been over a cord,
definitely, if the wood had all been sound. The saw? A 16" Poulan that I bought at Lowe's
about ten years ago -- which, according to you, is just a toy.

Conclusion: you're FOS.

I've NEVER had any luck with any gas powered equipment sold at a big box
store. It's all junk, in my experience.
Posted to alt.home.repair

MARK O'MARA wrote:

I've NEVER had any luck with any gas powered equipment sold at a big box
store. It's all junk, in my experience.

That's kind of my feeling as well. The big box stores are trying to meet a price
point, and the only way the manufacturers can do that is to cut quality any
where they can. Someone posted an interesting article here recently about how
Walmart has made lawnmowers almost disposable - use for a season and throw it
away.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Amazing. I'd heard such things, but today took
the time to search it on the net.
http://www.federalobserver.com/archive.php?aid=10574

Interesting, article says Levi Strauss has a cheaper
line of clothes that go to Walmart. So, maybe Levis
from other stores are higher price, but better quality?

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"Robert Neville" wrote in message

Someone posted an interesting article here recently
about how Walmart has made lawnmowers almost
disposable - use for a season and throw it away.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Steve B" wrote in :

[...]

That is what I love about things. You can choose what you want. **** or
good products.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

"MARK O'MARA" wrote in message
On 5/10/2012 1:51 PM, Doug Miller wrote:

FWIW, I just finished cutting up a fallen tree in my back yard, a large
cherry about 60 years
old. We had to haul close to half of it to the dump because it was full
of termites. After
splitting and stacking the rest, it amounts to around 2/3 cord -- would
have been over a cord,
definitely, if the wood had all been sound. The saw? A 16" Poulan that I
bought at Lowe's
about ten years ago -- which, according to you, is just a toy.

Conclusion: you're FOS.

I've NEVER had any luck with any gas powered equipment sold at a big box
store. It's all junk, in my experience.

But wait, the omnipotent Doug has spoken. Therefore, you must be in error,
FOS, and all that. You did not see what you think you saw. You did not
experience what you think and said you experienced.

Are you on drugs?

I guess we both are, because my experiences parallel yours.

ALL HAIL DOUG!

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

MARK O'MARA wrote:

I've NEVER had any luck with any gas powered equipment sold at a big box
store. It's all junk, in my experience.

That's kind of my feeling as well. The big box stores are trying to meet a
price
point, and the only way the manufacturers can do that is to cut quality
any
where they can. Someone posted an interesting article here recently about
how
Walmart has made lawnmowers almost disposable - use for a season and throw
it
away.

Bought a Craftsman last week for $10. Cleaned the carb, power washed it,
and sold it for $50. They're good for something.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

Robert Neville wrote in news:1etqq7tedbe0nneu9to1501pqvo5rhpb6v@
4ax.com:

MARK O'MARA wrote:

I've NEVER had any luck with any gas powered equipment sold at a big box
store. It's all junk, in my experience.

That's kind of my feeling as well. The big box stores are trying to meet a price
point, and the only way the manufacturers can do that is to cut quality any
where they can. Someone posted an interesting article here recently about how
Walmart has made lawnmowers almost disposable - use for a season and throw it
away.

I'm still using a walk-behind lawnmower that I bought at Walmart in 1999. Go figure.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Steve B" wrote in :

[...]

You're the expert on the former, apparently. Some day, perhaps you will learn you can get
the latter without spending top dollar.

Or perhaps you won't.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Steve B" wrote in message

[...]

That explains how we rate your input

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Doug Miller" wrote

You're the expert on the former, apparently. Some day, perhaps you will
learn you can get
the latter without spending top dollar.

Or perhaps you won't.

Oh, I get stuff at Harbor Freight. And at yard sales. Most of the time,
you get what you pay for, and that is particularly true with certain tools
and machines.

Whatever gets the work done for you, Doug.

There's a hundred ways to cook a poodle.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 11 May 2012 15:54:23 -0400, MARK O'MARA
wrote:

I've NEVER had any luck with any gas powered equipment sold at a big box
store. It's all junk, in my experience.

I have to disagree. I was given a Homelite chain saw. I used it to
cut up a couple of branches and it worked OK one time. After that, I
used it to hold down the lid on the trash can in the shop. Since
doing that, the lid has never blown off.

Sure spend big bucks for a Stihl if you want, but that Homelite holds
the lid down as good as any of the more costly brands.

Want to cut wood? Yeah, I have a Stihl for that.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/11/2012 4:33 PM, Doug Miller wrote:
Robert wrote in news:1etqq7tedbe0nneu9to1501pqvo5rhpb6v@
4ax.com:

MARK wrote:

I've NEVER had any luck with any gas powered equipment sold at a big box
store. It's all junk, in my experience.

That's kind of my feeling as well. The big box stores are trying to meet a price
point, and the only way the manufacturers can do that is to cut quality any
where they can. Someone posted an interesting article here recently about how
Walmart has made lawnmowers almost disposable - use for a season and throw it
away.

I'm still using a walk-behind lawnmower that I bought at Walmart in 1999. Go figure.

but using it as a planter doesn't really count as being a viable machine
in it's old age.

--
Steve Barker
Posted to alt.home.repair

Steve Barker wrote in
:

On 5/11/2012 4:33 PM, Doug Miller wrote:

I'm still using a walk-behind lawnmower that I bought at Walmart in 1999. Go figure.

but using it as a planter doesn't really count as being a viable machine
in it's old age.

I guess I have to spell it out for you, don't I? I'm still using it _to_cut_grass_. And it still starts on
the first or second pull.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/12/2012 9:33 AM, Doug Miller wrote:
Steve wrote in
:

On 5/11/2012 4:33 PM, Doug Miller wrote:

I'm still using a walk-behind lawnmower that I bought at Walmart in 1999. Go figure.

but using it as a planter doesn't really count as being a viable machine
in it's old age.

I guess I have to spell it out for you, don't I? I'm still using it _to_cut_grass_. And it still starts on
the first or second pull.

ohhhhhhhhhhhh... LOL!

--
Steve Barker
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/11/2012 5:33 PM, Doug Miller wrote:

I'm still using a walk-behind lawnmower that I bought at Walmart in 1999. Go figure.

That's exceptional! What brand is it?
Posted to alt.home.repair

Jack wrote in :

On 5/11/2012 5:33 PM, Doug Miller wrote:

I'm still using a walk-behind lawnmower that I bought at Walmart in 1999. Go figure.

That's exceptional! What brand is it?

Yard Machines (MTD) with a Tecumseh engine.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 05/13/2012 01:40 PM, Doug Miller wrote:
wrote in :

On 5/11/2012 5:33 PM, Doug Miller wrote:

I'm still using a walk-behind lawnmower that I bought at Walmart in 1999. Go figure.

That's exceptional! What brand is it?

Yard Machines (MTD) with a Tecumseh engine.

Wow, how many times have you replaced the flywheel key? (of course, it
doesn't take long after the first time you've done it...)

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 13 May 2012 11:28:09 -0400, Jack wrote Re
Chain saw brand:

On 5/11/2012 5:33 PM, Doug Miller wrote:

I'm still using a walk-behind lawnmower that I bought at Walmart in 1999. Go figure.

That's exceptional! What brand is it?

What's really exceptional is that anyone believe that claim.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 13 May 2012 12:47:23 -0500, Vinny From NYC
wrote:

On Sun, 13 May 2012 11:28:09 -0400, Jack wrote Re
Chain saw brand:

On 5/11/2012 5:33 PM, Doug Miller wrote:

I'm still using a walk-behind lawnmower that I bought at Walmart in 1999. Go figure.

That's exceptional! What brand is it?

What's really exceptional is that anyone believe that claim.

Maybe his lawn is 10' x 20'.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 13, 10:47*am, Vinny From NYC wrote:
On Sun, 13 May 2012 11:28:09 -0400, Jack wrote Re
Chain saw brand:

On 5/11/2012 5:33 PM, Doug Miller wrote:

I'm still using a walk-behind lawnmower that I bought at Walmart in 1999. Go figure.

That's exceptional! What brand is it?

What's really exceptional is that anyone believe that claim.

Well, I am still useing a Konda SX with HRA 214 engine I bought about
1985.

Wore the rubber off the drive wheels twice, Replaced one clutch cable,
one spark plug and a fuel filter. It is now assigned to trim mower
only after the rider is finished
but it still starts first pull every time...except for the first start
in the
spring. That takes sitting awhile in the sun to warm the old bones
and usually 3 pulls.

Of course that is comparing a quality mower to a MTD product.

Harry K
Posted to alt.home.repair
Han Han is offline

Ed Pawlowski wrote in
:

Maybe his lawn is 10' x 20'.

That is our "lawn", and the boss herself uses our push-mower to mow that.
It looks something like this: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00004RA3F/

--
Best regards
Han
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in :

On 5/11/2012 5:33 PM, Doug Miller wrote:

I'm still using a walk-behind lawnmower that I bought at Walmart in
1999. Go figure.

That's exceptional! What brand is it?

Yard Machines (MTD) with a Tecumseh engine.

Wow, how many times have you replaced the flywheel key? (of course, it
doesn't take long after the first time you've done it...)

nate

If the thing is tight to begin with, and you don't hit any solid
objects, there's no reason to shear that key.

--
Steve Barker