Posted to alt.home.repair
Harry K Harry K is offline

Default Chain saw brand

On May 8, 5:57*am, Frank wrote:
On 5/8/2012 8:13 AM, Doug Miller wrote:

Steve *wrote in news:4
:

On 5/7/2012 6:20 PM, Meanie wrote:
I'm searching for a used chainsaw and want to know what are good brands to
look for.

Thank you

there is no "S" on brands in this question. *There is only ONE brand of
chainsaw. *STIHL. *the rest are toys.

I can't believe all the nonsense I'm reading in these responses. None of you have any idea
what the guy wants a chain saw for, and to insist -- without knowing this -- that he simply must
have a Stihl, is simply idiotic.

If he heats with wood, and will be using the saw for six hours every weekend cutting
firewood, then, yes, he probably needs a Stihl.

If he's a typical homeowner who's only going to use it for a few hours a year, *any* chain
saw will do _just_fine_.

That was me, and I bought a Poulan which worked well until oil pump
failed and I had repaired under warranty. *It only had a few hours on
it. *Now to start it, I have to tape the trigger down as the trigger
lock is broken. *My son bought one and it quit working after only a
couple of hours use.

I will never buy another chain saw advertised for occasional use and the
Poulan brand is on my s-list.

My experience with the big box saws is limited to one. My neighbor
bought one and asked me to show him how to set it up and use.

1. Would not run. Start on choke jusst fine and die as soon as it
was taken off choke.
2. Broke the chainbrake (cheap thin plastic) handle just setting it
down crooked.

Saw went back to the store the next day and never cut even a sliver.

Harry K