Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Just an old 2-basin kitchen sink ...

Just an old 2-basin kitchen sink. We ripped the old copper drainpipe out
maybe 4 years ago, installed ~ 5' of pvc.

Drain runs slow. Works, but obviously only 2/3 of capacity. I start
with bakg soda and vinegar, then some crystal Drano, then the pot of
boiling water, then the plunger. No noticable effect.

Any ideas?

TIA,

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 14, 9:37*pm, Puddin' Man wrote:
Just an old 2-basin kitchen sink. We ripped the old copper drainpipe out
maybe 4 years ago, installed ~ 5' of pvc.

Drain runs slow. Works, but obviously only 2/3 of capacity. I start
with bakg soda and vinegar, then some crystal Drano, then the pot of
boiling water, then the plunger. No noticable effect.

Any ideas?

* TIA,
* P

the flat section of line after the trap is likely sluged up. why not
take it apart and check or use a low cost snake to clean it out.......

my best friend had a problem like yours, he called a plumber, the flat
area of the line was smaller than a pencil......
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 14, 8:52*pm, bob haller wrote:
On Apr 14, 9:37*pm, Puddin' Man wrote:

Just an old 2-basin kitchen sink. We ripped the old copper drainpipe out
maybe 4 years ago, installed ~ 5' of pvc.

Drain runs slow. Works, but obviously only 2/3 of capacity. I start
with bakg soda and vinegar, then some crystal Drano, then the pot of
boiling water, then the plunger. No noticable effect.

Any ideas?

* TIA,
* P

the flat section of line after the trap is likely sluged up. why not
take it apart and check or use a low cost snake to clean it out.......

my best friend had a problem like yours, he called a plumber, the flat
area of the line was smaller than a pencil......

Sounds like you had the same expeience I had a couple of months ago.
Plastic pipe may be slightly less liable to clog because the inside
generally is smoother, but the flat horizontal section still builds up
crud over time. The OP didn't say if it was always slow, but if it
has always been slow, it sure took him a long time to figure that out.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 14 Apr 2012 20:37:10 -0500, Puddin' Man
wrote:

Just an old 2-basin kitchen sink. We ripped the old copper drainpipe out
maybe 4 years ago, installed ~ 5' of pvc.

Drain runs slow. Works, but obviously only 2/3 of capacity. I start
with bakg soda and vinegar, then some crystal Drano, then the pot of
boiling water, then the plunger. No noticable effect.

Any ideas?

Yes, a snake. Sometimes you get a clog that the chemicals just won't
move. Put a real wire snake down there and find it. The chemicals
are AOK for the trap, but the clog may be a few feet down the line.
Posted to alt.home.repair
Han Han is offline

Puddin' Man wrote in
:

Just an old 2-basin kitchen sink. We ripped the old copper drainpipe
out maybe 4 years ago, installed ~ 5' of pvc.

Drain runs slow. Works, but obviously only 2/3 of capacity. I start
with bakg soda and vinegar, then some crystal Drano, then the pot of
boiling water, then the plunger. No noticable effect.

Any ideas?

TIA,

Our bathtub drains slowly after some 6 or more months of regular use.
No kids, no long hair. Snaking doesn't help, Drano-like stuff doesn't
help much either. There is a long stretch of horizontal pipe in the
floor that I should have had replaced when the kitchen ceiling was open
- it has ~3 stretches of different materials of pipe. Sludge
accumulates in the pipes. The best way to remove it is to block all
opening and run water, then do some heavy duty plunging to loosen and
flush the stuff.

--
Best regards
Han

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Puddin' Man" wrote in message
Just an old 2-basin kitchen sink. We ripped the old copper drainpipe out
maybe 4 years ago, installed ~ 5' of pvc.

Drain runs slow. Works, but obviously only 2/3 of capacity. I start
with bakg soda and vinegar, then some crystal Drano, then the pot of
boiling water, then the plunger. No noticable effect.

Any ideas?

Does it flow slow from the get-go,
If not how much water has to go down the drain before it slows down or
stops?
The volume should tell you how far down the pipe you may have a blockage.

One of the more useful tools for clogged pipes are drill operated drain
snakes
http://compare.ebay.com/like/1607544...pes& var=sbar
The smaller ones that can be run with a drill are inexpensive and will
address 70+% of the problems
For the rest just rent a professional one
http://compare.ebay.com/like/3208330...pes& var=sbar
They come with removable heads to attack different problems
These will clean out 2" or bigger pipe
They can even chop up rootlets invading the run to the sewer

Alternately, your drain pipe may just be clogged with gunk on the sidewalls

Posted to alt.home.repair

My parents old house, Dad used to have to use a drain snake every few years,
to cut through the grease build up. You may have to do the same.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..