Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default backnuts for sink, basin, and bath wastes

Hello,

Following on from my bath waste thread, I really don't like plastic
backnuts!

What size of backnut fits which waste?

Is it a simple matter of getting a 1 1/2 inch backnut for 40mm
waste and 1 1/4 inch for 32mm waste?

Is a 1 1/2 inch backnut 1 1/2 inches across the nut's faces, or is it
the diameter of the hole?

I measured the plastic nut on my bath waste and its about 50mm af, so
I wonder whether for a 1 1/2 inch waste whether I actually need a 2
inch nut? So it's not as simple as matching the nut size tot eh pipe
size.

BTW, where can I get a 50mm af spanner to fit?

Thanks,
Stephen.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 20 Dec 2008 11:00:32 +0000, Stephen
wrote:

Hello,

Following on from my bath waste thread, I really don't like plastic
backnuts!

What size of backnut fits which waste?

Is it a simple matter of getting a 1 1/2 inch backnut for 40mm
waste and 1 1/4 inch for 32mm waste?

Is a 1 1/2 inch backnut 1 1/2 inches across the nut's faces, or is it
the diameter of the hole?

I measured the plastic nut on my bath waste and its about 50mm af, so
I wonder whether for a 1 1/2 inch waste whether I actually need a 2
inch nut? So it's not as simple as matching the nut size tot eh pipe
size.

BTW, where can I get a 50mm af spanner to fit?

Thanks,
Stephen.

What's wrong with plastic backnuts for wastes .I've never had any
problem with them . Plastic backnuts for taps are a bone of contention
tho'. Why do you need a spanner for waste backnuts? Just use your
hands ..they don't neeed to be that tight and anyway,you always get
one( backnut) with the waste when you buy it so I don't get why you
are asking this .
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 20 Dec 2008 11:00:32 +0000, Stephen wrote:

Hello,

Following on from my bath waste thread, I really don't like plastic
backnuts!

What size of backnut fits which waste?

Is it a simple matter of getting a 1 1/2 inch backnut for 40mm waste and
1 1/4 inch for 32mm waste?

Is a 1 1/2 inch backnut 1 1/2 inches across the nut's faces, or is it
the diameter of the hole?

I measured the plastic nut on my bath waste and its about 50mm af, so I
wonder whether for a 1 1/2 inch waste whether I actually need a 2 inch
nut? So it's not as simple as matching the nut size tot eh pipe size.

BTW, where can I get a 50mm af spanner to fit?

You really don't need to tighten them up so hard that you need them made
from brass.

The size is standard in that one of the 2 trap sizes always fit one of the
2 waste sizes. /If/ is it BSP then the size would be 1" and 1.25" having
approx 32mm and 40mm diameters.

A good pair of water pump pliers set to their largest size should do a
good job of tightening the back nut.

Note that some wastes will require some sort of thread sealant (tape, cord
or resin) on the threads in the 'target' section to make a seal.

Basin Wastes and Overflows JR UK diy 1 May 19th 07 10:28 AM
Old (large) bath wastes Nathan Critchlow-Watton UK diy 2 June 16th 06 10:11 AM
Kitchen sink wastes James Salisbury UK diy 1 April 29th 04 09:27 PM
Kitchen sink wastes Alex UK diy 1 August 23rd 03 12:20 AM
Bath and Basin waste. Troy UK diy 6 July 25th 03 07:41 PM