Posted to uk.d-i-y
JR JR is offline

Default Basin Wastes and Overflows

Hi

I've bought a resin wash basin, and now I need to get the waste fittings for
it.

I've looked in the Screwfix and Toolstation catalogues, but can't seem to
find a waste which is just a plain (i.e. non-gold-plated) "plug hole" with a
built in overflow. There are all sorts of trendy chrome ones with integral
plugs, springs, etc, but all I want is one with an overflow that fits in the
hole in the back of the basin and provides somewhere to fasten the chain for
the plug.

Some of the chrome "plug hole only" wastes look alright and say they're
"slotted for overflow". If I got one of these, where would I get an
overflow for it?

Have overflows gone out of fashion, or am I just looking in the wrong place?

Also, assuming I get hold of a suitable waste, do I just seal round it with
silicone sealant, or is there a specific type I need to use?

Cheers

Jason

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 19 May 2007 09:24:32 +0100, "JR"
mused:

Hi

I've bought a resin wash basin, and now I need to get the waste fittings for
it.

I've looked in the Screwfix and Toolstation catalogues, but can't seem to
find a waste which is just a plain (i.e. non-gold-plated) "plug hole" with a
built in overflow. There are all sorts of trendy chrome ones with integral
plugs, springs, etc, but all I want is one with an overflow that fits in the
hole in the back of the basin and provides somewhere to fasten the chain for
the plug.

Some of the chrome "plug hole only" wastes look alright and say they're
"slotted for overflow". If I got one of these, where would I get an
overflow for it?

Have overflows gone out of fashion, or am I just looking in the wrong place?

All the sinks I've fitted recently have the overflow cast into the
sink itself, so it actually runs internally and then into a slot in
the waste pipe.

http://www.bes.co.uk/, part no. 10266?

Also, assuming I get hold of a suitable waste, do I just seal round it with
silicone sealant, or is there a specific type I need to use?

Decent clear silicone will do fine.
--
Regards,
Stuart.

Bathtub overflows [email protected] Home Repair 4 February 16th 07 11:08 PM
Brine tank overflows. Alan Home Repair 3 March 16th 05 04:25 AM
GE GSD3800 dishwaher overflows Sligo the Druid Home Repair 5 August 30th 04 03:08 PM
Adding a basin to a toilet with no route for basin waste pipe Richard Hamer UK diy 24 July 22nd 04 12:12 AM
Loo overflows Simon Elliott UK diy 9 March 27th 04 11:25 PM