Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Sink Basin Removal

I'm renovating a room that had a sink in it that we no longer want.
I've removed the fixture and am left with two 3/8" copper pipes coming
up out of the floor and the 1.5" drain pipe (I assume its copper) out
of the wall. The floor is currently tiled, and we are going to be
carpeting over top of the tile and also painting the walls. What is
the best (and easiest) way to cut and cap the protruding pipes flush
with the floor/wall? It would be ideal not to be able to see or feel
them at all when all is said and done, but I realize that might not be
possible.

Posted to alt.home.repair

I can double check this tonight when I get home. I do know where the
main water shut off valve is though. And yes, there is a basement;
but I'll have to see how easy it would be to get access to the piping
(good idea though).

Is it at least safe to use the shut off valves temporarily until I
address this (ie a few days)?

The drywall makes it hard to see what's behind the wall. I suppose I
could cut out a square of drywall and replace it after. All I can see
right now is that the drain pipe is welded to a coupling maybe an inch
from the finished wall. What kind of info would help? Maybe a
picture?

Peter

On May 8, 10:20 am, Speedy Jim wrote:

More info needed.

Where is the water shut off now? Is there a basement
giving access to the piping?

Don't rely on just a shut off valve to prevent
water coming out of those pipes.

The drain is another problem. There are maybe 50 possible
scenarios of what is in the wall/extending out.

Jim