grastal

Default Solution required for basin/sink with no overflow

I have just purchased a granite type basin/sink from the Far East that
has a drain hole but no overflow. Does anyone know if a basin/sink
waste exists (and where I might source such in UK) that will
automatically empty the sink should a tap be left on. I am imagining
something along the lines of a flip top plug that would automatically
flip up when the water pressure above reaches a critical point.
Thanks in advance for any help.

Ian Stirling

grastal wrote:
I have just purchased a granite type basin/sink from the Far East that
has a drain hole but no overflow. Does anyone know if a basin/sink
waste exists (and where I might source such in UK) that will
automatically empty the sink should a tap be left on. I am imagining
something along the lines of a flip top plug that would automatically
flip up when the water pressure above reaches a critical point.

Sounds very, very prone to failure.

Have you considered an auto-close tap?
Chris Bacon

grastal wrote:
I have just purchased a granite type basin/sink from the Far East that
has a drain hole but no overflow.

Get someone to drill a hole for the overflow.
Richard Conway

grastal wrote:
I have just purchased a granite type basin/sink from the Far East that
has a drain hole but no overflow. Does anyone know if a basin/sink
waste exists (and where I might source such in UK) that will
automatically empty the sink should a tap be left on. I am imagining
something along the lines of a flip top plug that would automatically
flip up when the water pressure above reaches a critical point.
Thanks in advance for any help.

One way I have seen of achieving this that I have seen on catering sinks
in the past is to use a piece of pipe instead of a plug. The pipe is
cut to the correct length so that when the sink is nearly full to the
brim the water simply runs down the middle of the pipe and down the drain.
Set Square

Richard Conway wrote:

grastal wrote:
I have just purchased a granite type basin/sink from the Far East
that has a drain hole but no overflow. Does anyone know if a
basin/sink waste exists (and where I might source such in UK) that
will automatically empty the sink should a tap be left on. I am
imagining something along the lines of a flip top plug that would
automatically flip up when the water pressure above reaches a
critical point. Thanks in advance for any help.

One way I have seen of achieving this that I have seen on catering
sinks in the past is to use a piece of pipe instead of a plug. The
pipe is
cut to the correct length so that when the sink is nearly full to the
brim the water simply runs down the middle of the pipe and down the
drain.

Yes, I've seen then in labs, etc. - but wouldn't the tube get in the way of
washing yourself?
--
Cheers,
Set Square

Christian McArdle

I have just purchased a granite type basin/sink from the Far East that
has a drain hole but no overflow.

You could always install a wet room floor...

I am imagining something along the lines of a flip top plug that would
automatically flip up when the water pressure above reaches a critical
point.

I would be sceptical that you could design an inexpensive such device of
sufficient accuracy, although maybe I'm wrong.

Christian.