Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Sink/Basin overflows

Fitted some basin new taps & a new pop up waste today. Apart from checking
for plumbing & waste leaks I always check that the overflow is working as
well.

Combi boiler, so hot & cold at the same pressure, which was pretty high.

It surprised me how quickly the sink filled up. The overflow simply would
not have coped with the flow of water from even one tap on full blast, let
alone both. So it would be largely ineffective as an overflow - wouldn't
prevent a flood if a tap was accidentally left on.

I wonder if sink & basin designers have thought about the flow rates now
that hot water could be at mains pressure?

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
The Medway Handyman wrote:
I wonder if sink & basin designers have thought about the flow rates now
that hot water could be at mains pressure?

Yes - that's why they're smaller. ;-)

--
*When blondes have more fun, do they know it?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"The Medway Handyman" wrote in message
Fitted some basin new taps & a new pop up waste today. Apart from
checking for plumbing & waste leaks I always check that the overflow is
working as well.

Combi boiler, so hot & cold at the same pressure, which was pretty high.

It surprised me how quickly the sink filled up. The overflow simply would
not have coped with the flow of water from even one tap on full blast, let
alone both. So it would be largely ineffective as an overflow - wouldn't
prevent a flood if a tap was accidentally left on.

I wonder if sink & basin designers have thought about the flow rates now
that hot water could be at mains pressure?

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk
01634 717930
07850 597257

My Doulton pedestal wash basin (correctly installed) is within 3mm of
overflowing the front before any water flows down the small overflow, it's
so ineffective it may as well not be there!

Peter

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"The Medway Handyman" wrote

Fitted some basin new taps & a new pop up waste today. Apart from
checking for plumbing & waste leaks I always check that the overflow is
working as well.

Combi boiler, so hot & cold at the same pressure, which was pretty high.

It surprised me how quickly the sink filled up. The overflow simply would
not have coped with the flow of water from even one tap on full blast, let
alone both. So it would be largely ineffective as an overflow - wouldn't
prevent a flood if a tap was accidentally left on.

I wonder if sink & basin designers have thought about the flow rates now
that hot water could be at mains pressure?

Basins are sold that have no overflows at all.
I recently fitted one in the downstairs WC.
The waste is fitted with an anti-siphon trap which is slow to discharge, the
running water can easily overtake the discharge rate.
The kids are now both teenage fortunately (?) and so far no-one's left the
taps running .

Phil

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"The Medway Handyman" wrote in message
Fitted some basin new taps & a new pop up waste today. Apart from
checking for plumbing & waste leaks I always check that the overflow is
working as well.

Combi boiler, so hot & cold at the same pressure, which was pretty high.

It surprised me how quickly the sink filled up. The overflow simply would
not have coped with the flow of water from even one tap on full blast, let
alone both. So it would be largely ineffective as an overflow - wouldn't
prevent a flood if a tap was accidentally left on.

I wonder if sink & basin designers have thought about the flow rates now
that hot water could be at mains pressure?

Someone will come along shortly to tell you it is flow not pressure that
matters and that a combi will not fill a bath as quickly as a conventional
system.

Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"ARWadworth" wrote in message
m...

"The Medway Handyman" wrote in message
Fitted some basin new taps & a new pop up waste today. Apart from
checking for plumbing & waste leaks I always check that the overflow is
working as well.

Combi boiler, so hot & cold at the same pressure, which was pretty high.

It surprised me how quickly the sink filled up. The overflow simply
would not have coped with the flow of water from even one tap on full
blast, let alone both. So it would be largely ineffective as an
overflow - wouldn't prevent a flood if a tap was accidentally left on.

I wonder if sink & basin designers have thought about the flow rates now
that hot water could be at mains pressure?

Someone will come along shortly to tell you it is flow not pressure that
matters and that a combi will not fill a bath as quickly as a conventional
system.

Looking closer I can see Mr Plowman already has.

Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
ARWadworth wrote:
Someone will come along shortly to tell you it is flow not pressure
that matters and that a combi will not fill a bath as quickly as a
conventional system.

Looking closer I can see Mr Plowman already has.

Predictable me.

Normally dribble would be along to say the solution is two combis but I'd
guess he's finally been sectioned.

--
*42.7% of statistics are made up. Sorry, that should read 47.2% *

Basin Wastes and Overflows JR UK diy 1 May 19th 07 10:28 AM
Sink Basin Removal [email protected] Home Repair 3 May 8th 07 08:12 PM
Solution required for basin/sink with no overflow grastal UK diy 5 September 5th 05 05:33 PM
basin wrench can't remove rusted bolts under sink KLS Home Repair 7 July 23rd 05 04:40 AM
freestanding bathroom sink basin JK Home Repair 2 May 24th 05 10:54 PM