Posted to misc.rural,alt.home.repair

Default OT? Brazing Stainless Steel?

On 3/11/12 7:51 PM, (PeteCresswell) wrote:
I've got a 15mm SS nut and I want to braze a (SS?) hex wrench to
it so I'll have a hand-friendly mega-wing nut.

But I don't weld. All I've got is one of those itty-bitty MAPP
gas torches, some bronze and silver brazing rods, and some
brazing flux for each.

Is there any hope of getting a decent bond that way?

Intended use is on the water - so I'd rather not determine
whether it will drop off or not experimentally.... -)

I'll crosspost this to a home repair group. There might be
someone who can answer that there. I do a little welding but
not professionally.

Posted to misc.rural,alt.home.repair

On Sun, 11 Mar 2012 20:05:07 -0500, Dean Hoffman
" wrote:

On 3/11/12 7:51 PM, (PeteCresswell) wrote:
I've got a 15mm SS nut and I want to braze a (SS?) hex wrench to
it so I'll have a hand-friendly mega-wing nut.

But I don't weld. All I've got is one of those itty-bitty MAPP
gas torches, some bronze and silver brazing rods, and some
brazing flux for each.

Is there any hope of getting a decent bond that way?

Intended use is on the water - so I'd rather not determine
whether it will drop off or not experimentally.... -)

I'll crosspost this to a home repair group. There might be
someone who can answer that there. I do a little welding but
not professionally.

I'm no welder, but I've done some welding and brazing over the years.
I've never heard of brazing stainless steel. It could be possible, but
I have my doubts. If all you want to do is hold the nut in the wrench,
I'd just JB Weld it in there. If you want to be 100% sure it dont come
loose, take it to a professional welder. They have special equipment
for SS. Even if they charge $50 an hour, it will probably take no more
than 10 minutes to put a little weld on it, so I doubt it would cost
more than $10. Another thing would be to get a piece of SS about 1/4
thick or more, drill and tap threads in it. You'd probably need to make
a bend toward the bottom end. But that would probably take more work
and cost more.

Whenever I have to weld anything other than steel, I just let the
welding shop do it. They have the equipment for SS, cast iron,
aluminum, etc.

Posted to misc.rural,alt.home.repair

wrote:
On 3/11/12 7:51 PM, (PeteCresswell) wrote:

I've got a 15mm SS nut and I want to braze a (SS?) hex wrench to
it so I'll have a hand-friendly mega-wing nut.

But I don't weld. * All I've got is one of those itty-bitty MAPP
gas torches, some bronze and silver brazing rods, and some
brazing flux for each.

Is there any hope of getting a decent bond that way?

Intended use is on the water - so I'd rather not determine
whether it will drop off or not experimentally.... -)

* * *I'll crosspost this to a home repair group. *There might be
someone who can answer that there. *I do a little welding but
not professionally.

I have a buddy who owns are general fab shop; SS & carbon steel
welding, sheet metal work & some machining.

He silver soldered two SS parts together for me....not as strong as
welding but the decent method to attach two slip fit parts.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fV0aLDxlvXk

here is a SS brazing video (a bit short on the details)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6dF-l-ebX9o

from what my buddy told me...... silver brazing alloys are the easiest
to use but expensive.

Based on my limited observation of the process.....gotta get the parts
HOT!

Here are some potential alternatives
http://www.mcmaster.com/#cadinlnord/90750a200/=gmgoom (drill out &
re-tap to 15mm)
http://www.mcmaster.com/#cadinlnord/92001a349/=gmi41x (drill
out & re-tap to 15mm)

cheers
Bob
Posted to misc.rural,alt.home.repair

Should be, if you can get things hot enough.

On the other hand, you might be able to have this done at an auto repair
shop. My mechanic does a couple types of welding, and has repaired an office
chair for me. And, a couple of other metal welds.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"Dean Hoffman" " wrote in message
On 3/11/12 7:51 PM, (PeteCresswell) wrote:
I've got a 15mm SS nut and I want to braze a (SS?) hex wrench to
it so I'll have a hand-friendly mega-wing nut.

But I don't weld. All I've got is one of those itty-bitty MAPP
gas torches, some bronze and silver brazing rods, and some
brazing flux for each.

Is there any hope of getting a decent bond that way?

Intended use is on the water - so I'd rather not determine
whether it will drop off or not experimentally.... -)

I'll crosspost this to a home repair group. There might be
someone who can answer that there. I do a little welding but
not professionally.

Posted to misc.rural,alt.home.repair

On 3/11/2012 6:05 PM, Dean Hoffman wrote:
On 3/11/12 7:51 PM, (PeteCresswell) wrote:
I've got a 15mm SS nut and I want to braze a (SS?) hex wrench to
it so I'll have a hand-friendly mega-wing nut.

But I don't weld. All I've got is one of those itty-bitty MAPP
gas torches, some bronze and silver brazing rods, and some
brazing flux for each.

Is there any hope of getting a decent bond that way?

Intended use is on the water - so I'd rather not determine
whether it will drop off or not experimentally.... -)

I'll crosspost this to a home repair group. There might be
someone who can answer that there. I do a little welding but
not professionally.

I silver brazed stainless steel pieces together last weekend using MAPP
gas. Takes a while to get the pieces hot enough, but worked fine. Go for it!

Paul

Posted to misc.rural,alt.home.repair

Dean Hoffman " wrote in
:

On 3/11/12 7:51 PM, (PeteCresswell) wrote:
I've got a 15mm SS nut and I want to braze a (SS?) hex wrench to
it so I'll have a hand-friendly mega-wing nut.

But I don't weld. All I've got is one of those itty-bitty MAPP
gas torches, some bronze and silver brazing rods, and some
brazing flux for each.

Is there any hope of getting a decent bond that way?

Intended use is on the water - so I'd rather not determine
whether it will drop off or not experimentally.... -)

I'll crosspost this to a home repair group. There might be
someone who can answer that there. I do a little welding but
not professionally.

I brazed a SS handle nut to my SS 3 qt.cookpot with a Bernz-o-Matic Oxy-
MAPP torch. it worked great. I used the flux-coated rod that came in the
torch kit,the brass-looking rod with the white coating.
you can buy the rods separately at Home Depot.
the torch kit came with a chart to select the proper rod for the material
being brazed.

I don't think you can(or should) braze it with MAPP alone.
also,the Hex wrench is not going to be stainless,it will be high carbon
tool steel.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Posted to misc.rural,alt.home.repair

"Followup-To:" header set to alt.home.repair.]
On 2012-03-12, Jim Yanik wrote:

I don't think you can(or should) braze it with MAPP alone.
also,the Hex wrench is not going to be stainless,it will be high carbon
tool steel.

True silver solder typically has a silver content of approx 60% silver
or more and will work on pretty much any metal. It's often called
"hard" soldering as opposed to "soft" soldering, which applies to lead
based solder commonly used for simple plumbing joints and electronics.
My only reservation to hard soldering a nut to a wrench would be the
fit clearance. If there's too large a gap between the nut and the
wrench, you may have problems getting the solder to remain in place by
capillary action. Perhaps slip some brass shims in there. MAPP gas
MIGHT work if the parts are small enough, but 15mm is a pretty big nut
and wrench. I can't see it working w/o oxygen.

nb

--
Fight internet CENSORSHIP - Fight SOPA-PIPA
Contact your congressman and/or representative, now!
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2012-03-12, Jim Yanik wrote:

I don't think you can(or should) braze it with MAPP alone.
also,the Hex wrench is not going to be stainless,it will be high carbon
tool steel.

True silver solder typically has a silver content of approx 60% silver
or more and will work on pretty much any metal. It's often called
"hard" soldering as opposed to "soft" soldering, which applies to lead
based solder commonly used for simple plumbing joints and electronics.
My only reservation to hard soldering a nut to a wrench would be the
fit clearance. If there's too large a gap between the nut and the
wrench, you may have problems getting the solder to remain in place by
capillary action. Perhaps slip some brass shims in there. MAPP gas
MIGHT work if the parts are small enough, but 15mm is a pretty big nut
and wrench. I can't see it working w/o oxygen.

nb

If it's the correct size wrench and nut it should be a pretty tight fit.
I agree the wrench is not SS. It's probably chromed steel. Also, a
wrench that large will take a lot of heat to get hot enough and I think
the chrome will cause problems. I still say take it to a professional
welder, spend $10 and be done with it. That's what I would do. By the
time you buy the silver brazing rods, burn up all the costly mapp gas,
etc. you wont be ahead.

On the other hand, do you really need SS? Take a standard nut and weld
it with a regular wire welder to a piece of steel with a hole drilled in
it. Or braze that with brass rods. That way you can save your wrench
too. Paint it when done to prevent rust.

Curious, what is this thing to be used for?

Posted to misc.rural,alt.home.repair

Per Paul Drahn:
I silver brazed stainless steel pieces together last weekend using MAPP
gas. Takes a while to get the pieces hot enough, but worked fine. Go for it!

Just MAPP, no oxygen - right?
--
Pete Cresswell

Posted to misc.rural,alt.home.repair

"Dean Hoffman" " wrote in message
On 3/11/12 7:51 PM, (PeteCresswell) wrote:
I've got a 15mm SS nut and I want to braze a (SS?) hex wrench to
it so I'll have a hand-friendly mega-wing nut.

But I don't weld. All I've got is one of those itty-bitty MAPP
gas torches, some bronze and silver brazing rods, and some
brazing flux for each.

Is there any hope of getting a decent bond that way?

Intended use is on the water - so I'd rather not determine
whether it will drop off or not experimentally.... -)

I'll crosspost this to a home repair group. There might be
someone who can answer that there. I do a little welding but
not professionally.

If you have a Mapp torch. I use Silver solder and flux for same. Works
great. WW

Posted to misc.rural,alt.home.repair

Per WW:

If you have a Mapp torch. I use Silver solder and flux for same. Works
great. WW

Just MAPP? Or MAPP + Oxygen?
--
Pete Cresswell

Best Brazing Flux & Metal Prep for Brazing GeoLane at PTD dot NET Metalworking 3 October 12th 07 10:27 PM
Stainless steel nuts galling on stainless steel bolts spaco Metalworking 15 April 12th 06 06:02 PM
stainless steel kklein Metalworking 7 September 5th 04 04:54 AM
Appliances-Brushed steel Vs Stainless steel DIY Novice UK diy 7 August 24th 04 06:44 PM
Stainless Steel Ricardo Metalworking 4 August 9th 03 03:07 AM