Posted to misc.rural,alt.home.repair
notbob notbob is offline

Default OT? Brazing Stainless Steel?

"Followup-To:" header set to alt.home.repair.]
On 2012-03-12, Jim Yanik wrote:

I don't think you can(or should) braze it with MAPP alone.
also,the Hex wrench is not going to be stainless,it will be high carbon
tool steel.

True silver solder typically has a silver content of approx 60% silver
or more and will work on pretty much any metal. It's often called
"hard" soldering as opposed to "soft" soldering, which applies to lead
based solder commonly used for simple plumbing joints and electronics.
My only reservation to hard soldering a nut to a wrench would be the
fit clearance. If there's too large a gap between the nut and the
wrench, you may have problems getting the solder to remain in place by
capillary action. Perhaps slip some brass shims in there. MAPP gas
MIGHT work if the parts are small enough, but 15mm is a pretty big nut
and wrench. I can't see it working w/o oxygen.

nb

--
Fight internet CENSORSHIP - Fight SOPA-PIPA
Contact your congressman and/or representative, now!