Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] piper@nohoo.com is offline

Default OT? Brazing Stainless Steel?

"Followup-To:" header set to alt.home.repair.]
On 2012-03-12, Jim Yanik wrote:

I don't think you can(or should) braze it with MAPP alone.
also,the Hex wrench is not going to be stainless,it will be high carbon
tool steel.

True silver solder typically has a silver content of approx 60% silver
or more and will work on pretty much any metal. It's often called
"hard" soldering as opposed to "soft" soldering, which applies to lead
based solder commonly used for simple plumbing joints and electronics.
My only reservation to hard soldering a nut to a wrench would be the
fit clearance. If there's too large a gap between the nut and the
wrench, you may have problems getting the solder to remain in place by
capillary action. Perhaps slip some brass shims in there. MAPP gas
MIGHT work if the parts are small enough, but 15mm is a pretty big nut
and wrench. I can't see it working w/o oxygen.

nb

If it's the correct size wrench and nut it should be a pretty tight fit.
I agree the wrench is not SS. It's probably chromed steel. Also, a
wrench that large will take a lot of heat to get hot enough and I think
the chrome will cause problems. I still say take it to a professional
welder, spend $10 and be done with it. That's what I would do. By the
time you buy the silver brazing rods, burn up all the costly mapp gas,
etc. you wont be ahead.

On the other hand, do you really need SS? Take a standard nut and weld
it with a regular wire welder to a piece of steel with a hole drilled in
it. Or braze that with brass rods. That way you can save your wrench
too. Paint it when done to prevent rust.

Curious, what is this thing to be used for?