Posted to misc.rural,alt.home.repair
Jim Yanik Jim Yanik is offline

Default OT? Brazing Stainless Steel?

Dean Hoffman " wrote in
:

On 3/11/12 7:51 PM, (PeteCresswell) wrote:
I've got a 15mm SS nut and I want to braze a (SS?) hex wrench to
it so I'll have a hand-friendly mega-wing nut.

But I don't weld. All I've got is one of those itty-bitty MAPP
gas torches, some bronze and silver brazing rods, and some
brazing flux for each.

Is there any hope of getting a decent bond that way?

Intended use is on the water - so I'd rather not determine
whether it will drop off or not experimentally.... -)

I'll crosspost this to a home repair group. There might be
someone who can answer that there. I do a little welding but
not professionally.

I brazed a SS handle nut to my SS 3 qt.cookpot with a Bernz-o-Matic Oxy-
MAPP torch. it worked great. I used the flux-coated rod that came in the
torch kit,the brass-looking rod with the white coating.
you can buy the rods separately at Home Depot.
the torch kit came with a chart to select the proper rod for the material
being brazed.

I don't think you can(or should) braze it with MAPP alone.
also,the Hex wrench is not going to be stainless,it will be high carbon
tool steel.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik