Ricardo

Default Stainless Steel

Hi,
I originally posted this on the DIY site and it was suggested I should
try here.

I had to heat up some stainless steel rod with an acetylene torch to
put a couple of tight bends in it. How can I remove the heat discolouration?

Mike Graham

In article , Ricardo wrote:

I had to heat up some stainless steel rod with an acetylene torch to
put a couple of tight bends in it. How can I remove the heat discolouration?

Mechanically. Buff the discolouration off with a flap wheel or whatever
is handy. Alternately you can remove a lot of the discolouration with
pickle paste.

http://www.metalmangler.com| Caledon, Ontario, Canada

Ian Stirling

Steve Lusardi wrote:
Yes, use a passivation compound available at your local welding supply.

snip quoted message incorrectly placed at bottom

For ones, might lemon juice work?

--
http://inquisitor.i.am/ | | Ian Stirling.
My inner child can beat up your inner child. - Alex Greenbank
Tim Williams

"Bruce Simpson" wrote in message
Citric acid is being touted as an environmentally friendly alternative
to conventional pickling pastes. I tried using some citric acid
crystals disolved in water and found it almost totally ineffective --
even after 12 hours :-(

Maybe it doesn't work on SS that's been vibrated to all hell at 2,000°F
for a few minutes? ;-)

Tim

--
In the immortal words of Ned Flanders: "No foot longs!"

satin finish on Stainless steel radiator... Jon Nicoll UK diy 1 April 4th 04 09:32 PM
Stainless Steel mesh supplier? Reader UK diy 3 March 12th 04 01:42 AM
Stainless steel pipes. Mark UK diy 5 December 19th 03 10:48 PM
leaking stainless steel sink outlet the yorkshire dalesman UK diy 5 December 3rd 03 12:08 AM
Stainless Steel splashbacks Reestit Mutton UK diy 6 November 3rd 03 11:21 AM