Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Incandescent light bulb replacements

At my church, we have a lot of "can lights" in the ceiling. They
had been taking out the 150 watt filament bulbs, and using CF
"curly cue" bulbs. Now they are installing LED flood lights, and
are totally pleased with them.

They T-30 are about $40 each, and can't remember. 18 watts
power draw, is it? Brighter actually than the 150 watt filament
bulbs that had been in there. The flood light style throws the light
down and out, instead of bouncing around the tin can.

I don't have any can lights. But, they do offer "corn cob" shaped
LED on Ebay. The CF bulbs I have in, are still working. And some
straight bulb fluorescents I've got for various uses. I'm not spending
$7 per bulb just yet on the LED. Maybe later?

I had (about year 1988) a lamp over my work bench. When I'd turn
the grinder on, the bulb would blow. I blew through (sorry, not funny)
a four pack of Phillips, and then had a GE, or was it Sylvania. Anyhow,
the different brand lasted a lot longer.

I wonder if the LED corn cob bulbs will stand up to vibration? At seven
dollars a bulb, what's the pay back time? LONG time, I'm sure.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 3 Mar 2012 21:51:10 -0500, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:

[...]

.

compared to a rough service incandescent the payback is about 7 bulbs.
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking

In article , cayoung61
says...

[...]

It would have to be a really crappy LED design to _not_ stand up to
vibration better than an incandescent or fluorescent. No little thin
wires, nothing working at high temperature, everything well supported,
vibration resistance should be much better. However I have great
confidence in the ability of industry to screw up a simple design.
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking

In rec.crafts.metalworking,
Stormin Mormon wrote:
I had (about year 1988) a lamp over my work bench. When I'd turn
the grinder on, the bulb would blow. I blew through (sorry, not funny)
a four pack of Phillips, and then had a GE, or was it Sylvania. Anyhow,
the different brand lasted a lot longer.

I wonder if the LED corn cob bulbs will stand up to vibration? At seven
dollars a bulb, what's the pay back time? LONG time, I'm sure.

You needed a rough service bulb or a bulb that could handle whatever
electrical disturbance the grinder put out? LEDs probably won't
help in the later case, and will vary brand to brand in the former.
Some I've seen are a bit prone to falling apart and then it is hard
to fix the wires to get them to operate again. And it it is a hot
environment (eg totally enclosed) that could also cause problems for
the circuits that run the LEDs. My old garage door opener was a
bulb killer, but I gave up faster than you did with that lamp.
Nothing I put in there CFL, rough service, appliance, or higher
voltage rating (for any surges) would last more than a month or two.
Never risked a LED in it.

Elijah
------
seven bucks sounds cheap for an LED bulb
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking

Stormin Mormon wrote:

I had (about year 1988) a lamp over my work bench. When I'd turn
the grinder on, the bulb would blow. I blew through (sorry, not funny)
a four pack of Phillips, and then had a GE, or was it Sylvania. Anyhow,
the different brand lasted a lot longer.

I wonder if the LED corn cob bulbs will stand up to vibration? At seven
dollars a bulb, what's the pay back time? LONG time, I'm sure.

Oh, if it was truly shock to the filament, both CFL and LEDs should
be much more robust. The LEDs should be able to take massive mechanical
abuse, probably the first thing to go would be the plastic housings.

Jon

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 03 Mar 2012 22:17:44 -0600, the renowned Jon Elson
wrote:

Stormin Mormon wrote:

I had (about year 1988) a lamp over my work bench. When I'd turn
the grinder on, the bulb would blow. I blew through (sorry, not funny)
a four pack of Phillips, and then had a GE, or was it Sylvania. Anyhow,
the different brand lasted a lot longer.

I wonder if the LED corn cob bulbs will stand up to vibration? At seven
dollars a bulb, what's the pay back time? LONG time, I'm sure.

Oh, if it was truly shock to the filament, both CFL and LEDs should
be much more robust. The LEDs should be able to take massive mechanical
abuse, probably the first thing to go would be the plastic housings.

Jon

Don't use them (LED or CFL) on garage door openers, though.

Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mar 3, 9:06*pm, "J. Clarke" wrote:
In article , cayoung61
says...

[...]

confidence in the ability of industry to screw up a simple design.- Hide quoted text -

Have had several "decorative" LED lights give up the ghost, haven't
lasted any longer than the incandescents or CFLs that they replaced.
So you're right, they can screw up almost anything. Had a couple dead
out of the packages, too. Since all of the current lights, no matter
what type, are the products of that great Chinese QC, it's no wonder.
The LED bulb failures were total, not just a few defective individual
LEDs croaking like on a cheap flashlight. And this is with a
stationary floor lamp, not on any sort of vibrating tool. At least
the dead ones don't have any mercury.

Stan
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking

"Stanley Schaefer" wrote in message
On Mar 3, 9:06 pm, "J. Clarke" wrote:
In article , cayoung61
says...

[...]

A study by UC Irvine's Department of Population Health & Disease Prevention
has discovered that LED diodes contain unsafe levels of carcinogenic toxins.
While LED's less energy friendly cousin's, CFLs, contain a measured amount
of mercury, LEDs are laden with lead, arsenic and a handful of other
chemicals that have been linked to different cancers, neurological damage,
kidney disease, hypertension, skin rashes and other serious illnesses. Not
only are these chemicals harmful to consumers if the bulbs are mishandled or
broken, but extracting those toxins from the earth is a destructive process.

Study Finds LED Light Bulbs Contain Unsafe Levels of Carcinogenic Toxins |
Inhabitat - Green Design Will Save the World

Best Regards
Tom.
--
http://fija.org/

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking

I can't remember where, probably here. I've heard the Chinese made LED corn
cob lights have a high failure rate.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"J. Clarke" wrote in message
in.local...

I wonder if the LED corn cob bulbs will stand up to vibration? At seven
dollars a bulb, what's the pay back time? LONG time, I'm sure.

It would have to be a really crappy LED design to _not_ stand up to
vibration better than an incandescent or fluorescent. No little thin
wires, nothing working at high temperature, everything well supported,
vibration resistance should be much better. However I have great
confidence in the ability of industry to screw up a simple design.

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking

In article , says...

"Stanley Schaefer" wrote in message
On Mar 3, 9:06 pm, "J. Clarke" wrote:
In article , cayoung61
says...

[...]

Is there a link to the actual study anywhere? All I can find is stories
based on a press release that may or may not have any relation to the
content of the paper. The same press release goes on about the copper
content like the copper contend of LEDs is going to end the world, so it
has to be taken with a huge dose of salt.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/3/2012 10:17 PM, Jon Elson wrote:
Stormin Mormon wrote:

I had (about year 1988) a lamp over my work bench. When I'd turn
the grinder on, the bulb would blow. I blew through (sorry, not funny)
a four pack of Phillips, and then had a GE, or was it Sylvania. Anyhow,
the different brand lasted a lot longer.

I wonder if the LED corn cob bulbs will stand up to vibration? At seven
dollars a bulb, what's the pay back time? LONG time, I'm sure.

Oh, if it was truly shock to the filament, both CFL and LEDs should
be much more robust. The LEDs should be able to take massive mechanical
abuse, probably the first thing to go would be the plastic housings.

Jon

I have a couple wall-fixture porch lights that killed every kind of CFL
and incan bulb I tried in them within days. Apparently the fixtures just
vibrate when the doors slam, since that's when the bulbs would always
start to flicker or go out.

Last year I took a chance and bought a couple of these for $16 each-
Utilitech 40-Watt Equivalent Indoor Warm White LED Light Bulb
Item #: 338802 Model #: LA19DM/LED
http://www.lowes.com/webapp/wcs/stor...ct Id=3341246

So far they have worked perfectly--they are not ideal but they are
bright enough, and have never flickered even a bit. And they are even
cheaper now,,, on sale for $10 each.

--------

I have two other "difficult" fixtures however, vibration probably the
culprit there too:

One is a light mounted over the kitchen stove, in the underside of the
stove hood/microwave (the OEM bulb lasted a long time, but I can't get
them anymore and every cheaper replacement the same size I tried burned
out very quickly if the exhaust fan is used at all).

The second is a small lamp on a Sears bench grinder I have (Model#
21162). It is a smaller-socket halogen bulb and it worked great but
burned out after only a couple months. A replacement I bought only
lasted about as long, and cost me ~$7.

LEDs do not do well in heat so I dunno how a LED bulb might do over a
stovetop. With the grinder, I haven't really gone searching for
alternatives yet.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Stormin Mormon wrote:

I had (about year 1988) a lamp over my work bench. When I'd turn
the grinder on, the bulb would blow. I blew through (sorry, not funny)
a four pack of Phillips, and then had a GE, or was it Sylvania. Anyhow,
the different brand lasted a lot longer.

I wonder if the LED corn cob bulbs will stand up to vibration? At seven
dollars a bulb, what's the pay back time? LONG time, I'm sure.

Oh, if it was truly shock to the filament, both CFL and LEDs should
be much more robust. The LEDs should be able to take massive mechanical
abuse, probably the first thing to go would be the plastic housings.

Jon

Don't use them (LED or CFL) on garage door openers, though.

Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany

Why? I have used CFLs in my garage openers for, well, since CFLs came
out. And, other than one premature failure, they have always been good.
Plus, you can put a 100 watt equivalent CFL in a fixture whose maximum
filament wattage is 60 ... so you eek out a few extra lumens.
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking

"azotic" wrote in message
"Stanley Schaefer" wrote in message
On Mar 3, 9:06 pm, "J. Clarke" wrote:
In article , cayoung61
says...

[...]

Well then you had better not eat them

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

On 3/4/2012 7:57 AM, Art Todesco wrote:

Why? I have used CFLs in my garage openers for, well, since CFLs came
out. And, other than one premature failure, they have always been good.
Plus, you can put a 100 watt equivalent CFL in a fixture whose maximum
filament wattage is 60 ... so you eek out a few extra lumens.

For some reason which I don't know the cause of, a CFL won't light in my
opener socket...the instructions say they won't work but doesn't give
the reason, specifically.

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 4 Mar 2012 08:24:27 -0500, "J. Clarke"
wrote:

In article , says...

"Stanley Schaefer" wrote in message
On Mar 3, 9:06 pm, "J. Clarke" wrote:
In article , cayoung61
says...

[...]

And ALL of the "hazardous" material is totally encapsulated in the
plasic "dome" of most LEDs.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 04 Mar 2012 08:58:44 -0600, dpb wrote:

On 3/4/2012 7:57 AM, Art Todesco wrote:

Why? I have used CFLs in my garage openers for, well, since CFLs came
out. And, other than one premature failure, they have always been good.
Plus, you can put a 100 watt equivalent CFL in a fixture whose maximum
filament wattage is 60 ... so you eek out a few extra lumens.

For some reason which I don't know the cause of, a CFL won't light in my
opener socket...the instructions say they won't work but doesn't give
the reason, specifically.

Likely a solid state switch.
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking

On 3/3/2012 9:51 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
[...]

If you are comparing them to a 150 watt par38, or 150 watt R-40 flood,
which are typical style lamps for large recessed down lights, you'd be
incorrect about the light output. Of course, both these types of lamp
are no longer available in 150 watts, in an incandescent type, but when
they were, either type delivered over 2000 lumens compared to the
approximately 800 produced by the LED. Par's and R's also direct the
light downward unlike an "A" lamp.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Stormin Mormon wrote:

[...]

The so-called "shock and vibration service" inandescent bulbs are still
available and are on the DOE exempt list, so they shouldn't disappear due to
federal regulations. Each type is made a little differently, but a lamp
designed to withstand shock has more filament supports than standard bulbs
and to compare lamps those can be counted simply by looking at the lamp
(assuming it's a clear lamp).

For use in garage door openers and task lights with machine tools, I use
bulbs made for electric signs and you can find them at distributors or on
line. They're marked "sign service" in some lamp catalogs and are usually
made in 11, 15, 25 and 40 watt sizes. Their filaments use a
rhenium-tungsten alloy that only works with lower-wattage bulbs, but is
great at resisting breakage from shock and vibration.

Tomsic

Posted to alt.home.repair

"dpb" wrote in message ...
On 3/4/2012 7:57 AM, Art Todesco wrote:

Why? I have used CFLs in my garage openers for, well, since CFLs came
out. And, other than one premature failure, they have always been good.
Plus, you can put a 100 watt equivalent CFL in a fixture whose maximum
filament wattage is 60 ... so you eek out a few extra lumens.

For some reason which I don't know the cause of, a CFL won't light in my
opener socket...the instructions say they won't work but doesn't give
the reason, specifically.

--

Mine's a two bulb unit and the only way I could get a CFL to work was to put an incandescent in the other socket.
Posted to alt.home.repair

You mean the ones for indoor use only? I'm telling Mom!

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"DougC" wrote in message

I have a couple wall-fixture porch lights that killed every kind of CFL
and incan bulb I tried in them within days. Apparently the fixtures just
vibrate when the doors slam, since that's when the bulbs would always
start to flicker or go out.

Last year I took a chance and bought a couple of these for $16 each-
Utilitech 40-Watt Equivalent Indoor Warm White LED Light Bulb
Item #: 338802 Model #: LA19DM/LED
http://www.lowes.com/webapp/wcs/stor...ct Id=3341246

So far they have worked perfectly--they are not ideal but they are
bright enough, and have never flickered even a bit. And they are even
cheaper now,,, on sale for $10 each.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Stormin Mormon" wrote:
I can't remember where, probably here. I've heard the Chinese made LED corn
cob lights have a high failure rate.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
.

"J. Clarke" wrote in message
in.local...

I wonder if the LED corn cob bulbs will stand up to vibration? At seven
dollars a bulb, what's the pay back time? LONG time, I'm sure.

It would have to be a really crappy LED design to _not_ stand up to
vibration better than an incandescent or fluorescent. No little thin
wires, nothing working at high temperature, everything well supported,
vibration resistance should be much better. However I have great
confidence in the ability of industry to screw up a simple design.

They are just like Christmas strings, all in series.

Greg
Posted to alt.home.repair

Jon Elson wrote:
Stormin Mormon wrote:

I had (about year 1988) a lamp over my work bench. When I'd turn
the grinder on, the bulb would blow. I blew through (sorry, not funny)
a four pack of Phillips, and then had a GE, or was it Sylvania. Anyhow,
the different brand lasted a lot longer.

I wonder if the LED corn cob bulbs will stand up to vibration? At seven
dollars a bulb, what's the pay back time? LONG time, I'm sure.

Oh, if it was truly shock to the filament, both CFL and LEDs should
be much more robust. The LEDs should be able to take massive mechanical
abuse, probably the first thing to go would be the plastic housings.

Jon

In corncobs style there are no electronic parts that shake loose. Those
other LEDs using voltage converters and current regulators, bigger parts
can fatigue over time, also in cfl circuits.

I was just checking out led display at home depot. Pretty cool. Cool white,
warm white. Some of the large aluminum fins do get warm. Bright !

Greg

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking

We were running a CFL light in one side and a bug light
in the other side. The CFL was 'bug yellow' - so they though...
That xxx lamp draws bugs and takes several minutes to put out light.

Rip off for a bug light.
LED's might be better.
Martin

Stormin Mormon wrote:

[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

Only in preferable Environment

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 7 Apr 2012 20:55:14 -0400, "grumpy" wrote:

At my church, we have a lot of "can lights" in the ceiling. They
had been taking out the 150 watt filament bulbs, and using CF
"curly cue" bulbs. Now they are installing LED flood lights, and
are totally pleased with them.

They T-30 are about $40 each, and can't remember. 18 watts
power draw, is it? Brighter actually than the 150 watt filament
bulbs that had been in there. The flood light style throws the light
down and out, instead of bouncing around the tin can.

Churches have lots of money, and they never work for it. They just rob
people who are stupid enough to join their church. They should pay
double what others pay for bulbs. After all, God will reimburse them!!!

Jesus was a crooked Jew who still robs people today, 2000 years later.
Never let any Jew near your wallet!!!!

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking

On Apr 8, 12:12*am, wrote:
On Sat, 07 Apr 2012 22:59:15 -0500, Richard
wrote:

On 4/7/2012 10:11 PM, wrote:
On Sat, 7 Apr 2012 20:55:14 -0400, *wrote:

At my church, we have a lot of *"can lights" in the ceiling. They
had been taking out the 150 watt filament bulbs, and using CF
"curly cue" bulbs. Now they are installing LED flood lights, and
are totally pleased with them.

They T-30 are about $40 each, and can't remember. 18 watts
power draw, is it? Brighter actually *than the 150 watt filament
bulbs that had been in there. The flood light style throws the light
down and out, instead of bouncing around the tin can.

Churches have lots of money, and they never work for it. *They just rob
people who are stupid enough to join their church. *They should pay
double what others pay for bulbs. *After all, God will reimburse them!!!

Jesus was a crooked Jew who still robs people today, 2000 years later.
Never let any Jew near your wallet!!!!

You post that on Easter eve?

May the Lord "reimburse" you too.

Of course, Jesus was the king of the Jews. *King because he robbed
everyone and still does today.

Never let any Jew near your wallet!!!! (Especially Jesus Christ).

**** OFF FOOL!

PATECUM
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,free.UseNet,free.spam

anti-christ online.com wrote:

Richard cavelamb earthlink.net wrote:
anti-christ online.com wrote:

Churches have lots of money, and they never work for it. They
just rob people who are stupid enough to join their church.
They should pay double what others pay for bulbs. After all,
God will reimburse them!!!

Jesus was a crooked Jew who still robs people today, 2000
years later. Never let any Jew near your wallet!!!!

You post that on Easter eve?
May the Lord "reimburse" you too.

Of course, Jesus was the king of the Jews. King because he
robbed everyone and still does today.

That's just weird.

--

Never let any Jew near your wallet!!!! (Especially Jesus Christ).

feeder.eternal-september.org!aioe.org!.POSTED!not-for-mail
From: anti-christ online.com
Newsgroups: alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking
Subject: Incandescent light bulb replacements
Date: Sat, 07 Apr 2012 23:12:23 -0500

gup5l7t8kkp3prnfahh5sv3hf1uvceaeoq 4ax.com jlqnm7$95t$1 dont-
email.me 9502o7dn701rr6e1u1ad19tuobhi3s117j 4ax.com
b8mdnW6CkpWHkBzSnZ2dnUVZ_oudnZ2d earthlink.com

rec.crafts.metalworking:256650

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

On 4/7/2012 10:11 PM, wrote:
[...]

Never let any Jew near your wallet!!!! (Especially Jesus Christ).- Hide quoted text -

I think you will find it is the modern adherents of Christianity that
rob people.
Such as the nutty religions in the USA.

BTW, Jesus was not a Jew, he was a Palestinian. He spoke Aramiac, a
precursor of Arabic.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jesus#L...and_appearance

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking

In article e372304a-6140-4840-b685-
, says...

wrote:

On 4/7/2012 10:11 PM, wrote:
[...]

So what was his religion then? Was he a pagan animist or something?

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking

My friend,
HeyBub will soon be in contact with you, on this forum. He doesn't take
well to being called names.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"J. Clarke" wrote in message
in.local...

You post that on Easter eve?

May the Lord "reimburse" you too.

Of course, Jesus was the king of the Jews. King because he robbed
everyone and still does today.

Never let any Jew near your wallet!!!! (Especially Jesus Christ).

I'm an atheist, but I know an anti-semitic neonazi jackass when I see
one. plonk

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking

Jesus taught in the temples, and a few other clues of his religion.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"J. Clarke" wrote in message
in.local...
In article e372304a-6140-4840-b685-
, says...

I think you will find it is the modern adherents of Christianity that
rob people.
Such as the nutty religions in the USA.

BTW, Jesus was not a Jew, he was a Palestinian. He spoke Aramiac, a
precursor of Arabic.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jesus#L...and_appearance

So what was his religion then? Was he a pagan animist or something?

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

On 4/7/2012 10:11 PM, wrote:
[...]

So what was his religion then? *Was he a pagan animist or something?- Hide quoted text -

Christianity as we know it was an invention after he died.
The bible as we know it was heavily censored and edited by the synods
of Antioch.
So the whole edifice is a pure invention/fiction devised so that a
priest caste could make a good living out ofthe ignorance of the
general populace.
As they still do.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Synods_of_Antioch
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gnostic_Gospels
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking

In article 04356535-4e9d-46c6-9400-db8c682dc139
@x17g2000vba.googlegroups.com, says...

wrote:

On 4/7/2012 10:11 PM, wrote:
[...]

Oh for the sake of Ghu, why did I not include "don't anybody "help"
him"?