Posted to alt.home.repair
gregz gregz is offline

Default Incandescent light bulb replacements

Jon Elson wrote:
Stormin Mormon wrote:

I had (about year 1988) a lamp over my work bench. When I'd turn
the grinder on, the bulb would blow. I blew through (sorry, not funny)
a four pack of Phillips, and then had a GE, or was it Sylvania. Anyhow,
the different brand lasted a lot longer.

I wonder if the LED corn cob bulbs will stand up to vibration? At seven
dollars a bulb, what's the pay back time? LONG time, I'm sure.

Oh, if it was truly shock to the filament, both CFL and LEDs should
be much more robust. The LEDs should be able to take massive mechanical
abuse, probably the first thing to go would be the plastic housings.

Jon

In corncobs style there are no electronic parts that shake loose. Those
other LEDs using voltage converters and current regulators, bigger parts
can fatigue over time, also in cfl circuits.

I was just checking out led display at home depot. Pretty cool. Cool white,
warm white. Some of the large aluminum fins do get warm. Bright !

Greg