Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking
Eli the Bearded Eli the Bearded is offline

Default Incandescent light bulb replacements

In rec.crafts.metalworking,
Stormin Mormon wrote:
I had (about year 1988) a lamp over my work bench. When I'd turn
the grinder on, the bulb would blow. I blew through (sorry, not funny)
a four pack of Phillips, and then had a GE, or was it Sylvania. Anyhow,
the different brand lasted a lot longer.

I wonder if the LED corn cob bulbs will stand up to vibration? At seven
dollars a bulb, what's the pay back time? LONG time, I'm sure.

You needed a rough service bulb or a bulb that could handle whatever
electrical disturbance the grinder put out? LEDs probably won't
help in the later case, and will vary brand to brand in the former.
Some I've seen are a bit prone to falling apart and then it is hard
to fix the wires to get them to operate again. And it it is a hot
environment (eg totally enclosed) that could also cause problems for
the circuits that run the LEDs. My old garage door opener was a
bulb killer, but I gave up faster than you did with that lamp.
Nothing I put in there CFL, rough service, appliance, or higher
voltage rating (for any surges) would last more than a month or two.
Never risked a LED in it.

Elijah
------
seven bucks sounds cheap for an LED bulb