Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Incandescent light bulb replacements

We were running a CFL light in one side and a bug light
in the other side. The CFL was 'bug yellow' - so they though...
That xxx lamp draws bugs and takes several minutes to put out light.

Rip off for a bug light.
LED's might be better.
Martin

On 3/4/2012 1:36 PM, DougC wrote:
On 3/3/2012 10:17 PM, Jon Elson wrote:
Stormin Mormon wrote:

I had (about year 1988) a lamp over my work bench. When I'd turn
the grinder on, the bulb would blow. I blew through (sorry, not funny)
a four pack of Phillips, and then had a GE, or was it Sylvania. Anyhow,
the different brand lasted a lot longer.

I wonder if the LED corn cob bulbs will stand up to vibration? At seven
dollars a bulb, what's the pay back time? LONG time, I'm sure.

Oh, if it was truly shock to the filament, both CFL and LEDs should
be much more robust. The LEDs should be able to take massive mechanical
abuse, probably the first thing to go would be the plastic housings.

Jon

I have a couple wall-fixture porch lights that killed every kind of CFL
and incan bulb I tried in them within days. Apparently the fixtures just
vibrate when the doors slam, since that's when the bulbs would always
start to flicker or go out.

Last year I took a chance and bought a couple of these for $16 each-
Utilitech 40-Watt Equivalent Indoor Warm White LED Light Bulb
Item #: 338802 Model #: LA19DM/LED
http://www.lowes.com/webapp/wcs/stor...ct Id=3341246

So far they have worked perfectly--they are not ideal but they are
bright enough, and have never flickered even a bit. And they are even
cheaper now,,, on sale for $10 each.

--------

I have two other "difficult" fixtures however, vibration probably the
culprit there too:

One is a light mounted over the kitchen stove, in the underside of the
stove hood/microwave (the OEM bulb lasted a long time, but I can't get
them anymore and every cheaper replacement the same size I tried burned
out very quickly if the exhaust fan is used at all).

The second is a small lamp on a Sears bench grinder I have (Model#
21162). It is a smaller-socket halogen bulb and it worked great but
burned out after only a couple months. A replacement I bought only
lasted about as long, and cost me ~$7.

LEDs do not do well in heat so I dunno how a LED bulb might do over a
stovetop. With the grinder, I haven't really gone searching for
alternatives yet.