Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Floor Finish ?

I have finished sanding the floor and want to use a water based poly. Is
there anything special about water based that I need to know? I have always
used oil based in the past.

I just read that with water based poly you should use a base coat. After you
apply the base coast do you sand before putting on the first coat of poly?

Thanks
Chris

Posted to alt.home.repair

Chris wrote:
I have finished sanding the floor and want to use a water based poly.
Is there anything special about water based that I need to know? I
have always used oil based in the past.

Handle it gently or you will get bubbles. You'll probably get them anyway.
You want the water base to keep the wood as light as possible?

--

dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

Posted to alt.home.repair

"dadiOH" wrote in message
Chris wrote:
I have finished sanding the floor and want to use a water based poly.
Is there anything special about water based that I need to know? I
have always used oil based in the past.

Handle it gently or you will get bubbles. You'll probably get them
anyway. You want the water base to keep the wood as light as possible?

--

dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

I like the idea of the quick dry time and the non yellowing that the water
base poly is suppose to give. I am trying to keep the wood looking as
natural as possible. These floors are 60 years old and this is the first
time that they have ever been re-done.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/16/2012 1:18 PM, Chris wrote:
I have finished sanding the floor and want to use a water based poly. Is
there anything special about water based that I need to know? I have
always used oil based in the past.

I just read that with water based poly you should use a base coat. After
you apply the base coast do you sand before putting on the first coat of
poly?

Thanks
Chris

the main thing you need to know about water based poly is that it will
turn out looking like plastic and fake. And milky looking if over a
dark wood. Use some real floor finish if you want it to look like
something.

--
Steve Barker
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 16, 7:02*pm, Steve Barker wrote:
On 2/16/2012 1:18 PM, Chris wrote:

I have finished sanding the floor and want to use a water based poly. Is
there anything special about water based that I need to know? I have
always used oil based in the past.

I just read that with water based poly you should use a base coat. After
you apply the base coast do you sand before putting on the first coat of
poly?

Thanks
Chris

the main thing you need to know about water based poly is that it will
turn out looking like plastic and fake. *And milky looking if over a
dark wood. *Use some real floor finish if you want it to look like
something.

--
Steve Barker

water base can turn soft if exposed to water for a while.

oil based is far better choice

Posted to alt.home.repair

Chris wrote:
"dadiOH" wrote in message
Chris wrote:
I have finished sanding the floor and want to use a water based
poly. Is there anything special about water based that I need to
know? I have always used oil based in the past.

Handle it gently or you will get bubbles. You'll probably get them
anyway. You want the water base to keep the wood as light as
possible?

I like the idea of the quick dry time and the non yellowing that the
water base poly is suppose to give. I am trying to keep the wood
looking as natural as possible. These floors are 60 years old and
this is the first time that they have ever been re-done.

Keep in mind that your floor will look markedly different with water poly.
It has its uses but IMO wood looks dead with it...flat, no color, bluish...

--

dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

Posted to alt.home.repair
dss dss is offline

Chris,

About 15 years ago I put oak floors in my family room and kitchen. I
did four or five coats of a water-based satin poly with a light
sanding between coats. I didn't use any base sealer, just the poly.
The floors looked great and I really liked the lighter finish.

However, with a 75-pound dog and kids they didn't hold up very well.
The high traffic areas needed to be redone in about five or six years.
Being easily house-blind I waited until the dog was dead and the kids
gone. At year ten I sanded out the damaged areas and re-did the whole
thing with three or four coats of an oil-based gloss. The floors
looked great (somewhat distressed in the kitchen and next to the patio
door) and I really liked the darker finish. Five years later they look
like I just did them last week. I expect they may outlast me.

If you use a water-based poly just plan on touching them up every few
years. (Even says so on the can.) If I could time travel I would use
the oil-based from the start. I like wood floors, light or dark.

Good luck.

dss
Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

On Feb 16, 1:18*pm, "Chris" wrote:
I have finished sanding the floor and want to use a water based poly. Is
there anything special about water based that I need to know? I have always
used oil based in the past.

snip

Just keep using oil based and your results will still look great after
many years. Water based is moisture sensitive and nowhere near as
abrasion resistant as oil based poly.

Joe
Posted to alt.home.repair

In eb.com,
Chris typed:
I have finished sanding the floor and want to use a water
based poly. Is there anything special about water based
that I need to know? I have always used oil based in the
past.
I just read that with water based poly you should use a
base coat. After you apply the base coast do you sand
before putting on the first coat of poly?
Thanks
Chris

Can you read?

1. Pick up can
2. Prepare to read something
3 Read the labels on the can; all labels.

Now you have answered your own question. If not, there will be a phone
number on the label to call.
1. Pick up phone
2. Dial that number
3. Ask your question of whoever answers.
4. Follow their instructions.

Assumption: Greater than third grade reading comprehension level.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In ,
dadiOH typed:
Chris wrote:
"dadiOH" wrote in message
Chris wrote:
I have finished sanding the floor and want to use a
water based poly. Is there anything special about
water based that I need to know? I have always used
oil based in the past.

Handle it gently or you will get bubbles. You'll
probably get them anyway. You want the water base to
keep the wood as light as possible?

I like the idea of the quick dry time and the non
yellowing that the water base poly is suppose to give. I
am trying to keep the wood looking as natural as
possible. These floors are 60 years old and this is the
first time that they have ever been re-done.

Keep in mind that your floor will look markedly different
with water poly. It has its uses but IMO wood looks dead
with it...flat, no color, bluish...

Finishes look fine when I use it. Sheen not as high as varnish or oil poly
but certainly good looking. Waxes easily and can be re-coated in short
periods of time. Perfect for antique furniture, too.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In ,
Steve Barker typed:
On 2/16/2012 1:18 PM, Chris wrote:
I have finished sanding the floor and want to use a
water based poly. Is there anything special about water
based that I need to know? I have always used oil based
in the past. I just read that with water based poly you should use a
base coat. After you apply the base coast do you sand
before putting on the first coat of poly?

Thanks
Chris

the main thing you need to know about water based poly is
that it will turn out looking like plastic and fake. And
milky looking if over a dark wood. Use some real floor
finish if you want it to look like something.

BS - simply use the one marked for floors. In my experience it outlasts the
oil type, brush marks settle out faster and application is easier.
It sounds like a lot of the responders here have never used it and know
now of which they speak.
If in doubt, buy a small can & choose an area not normally visible when
furniture is replaced, and try it out next to a square the same size as oil
based. I suspect you'll really like it.
The soapy water cleanup is a blessing also; my brushes last a LOT longer
using the water based stuff. It looks white in the can, but you won't see
that after it's dried. See product container for sanding between coats, etc.

HTH,

Twayne`

Posted to alt.home.repair

In ,
bob haller typed:
On Feb 16, 7:02 pm, Steve Barker
wrote:
On 2/16/2012 1:18 PM, Chris wrote:

I have finished sanding the floor and want to use a
water based poly. Is there anything special about water
based that I need to know? I have always used oil based
in the past.

I just read that with water based poly you should use a
base coat. After you apply the base coast do you sand
before putting on the first coat of poly?

Thanks
Chris

the main thing you need to know about water based poly
is that it will turn out looking like plastic and fake.
And milky looking if over a dark wood. Use some real
floor finish if you want it to look like something.

--
Steve Barker

water base can turn soft if exposed to water for a while.

oil based is far better choice

Wrong: Try it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In ,
Joe typed:
On Feb 16, 1:18 pm, "Chris"
wrote:
I have finished sanding the floor and want to use a
water based poly. Is there anything special about water
based that I need to know? I have always used oil based
in the past.

snip

Just keep using oil based and your results will still
look great after many years. Water based is moisture
sensitive and nowhere near as abrasion resistant as oil
based poly.

Joe

In my experience there is little to no difference in lifetime of either oil
or water based.
I've even used iit on my cement garage floor for where the tires track to
make it easier to sweep out the winter sand & salt. It lasted longer, if
anything, than the previous oil based.

Posted to alt.home.repair

The pre-finished oak floor I recently purchased came with water-based poly. I think the company said that it's 5 or 6 machine-applied coats. It comes with a 25 year warranty so presumably they expect it to last for quite a while.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Chris" wrote in message
eb.com...
I have finished sanding the floor and want to use a water based poly. Is
there anything special about water based that I need to know? I have always
used oil based in the past.

I just read that with water based poly you should use a base coat. After
you apply the base coast do you sand before putting on the first coat of
poly?

Thanks
Chris

Chris,

I am often the odd man out in this group. Just saying so you know.

I have used both. The higher grades of the water based do a good job and
last a long time. In this case you really do get what you pay for. They cost
more than the oil based. In a lot of cases the extra expense it worth the
cost.

With bare wood a screening after the first coat is a good option. The water
based product will raise some grain after the first coat. Following label
directions no additional sanding between coats is desired or needed.

Some will say it is harder to get an even sheen or a uniform coat. I say
thin to win and repeat a couple of extra times to get the shine you want.
Globing it on is not the way to go.

Just in case you have an old lambs wool applicator, don't use it. Buy the
one made for water based, wash it well and use it again. Using the lambs
wool, made for oil will give you those bubbles other mentioned.

--
Colbyt

which floor finish is better? Sam Takoy Home Repair 2 August 24th 10 02:09 PM
Floor finish hebintn Home Repair 1 April 30th 07 10:51 PM
what finish for my floor swuzan Woodworking 16 October 19th 05 05:36 PM
What finish for my Jatoba Floor Cyrille de Brébisson Woodworking 2 October 6th 05 12:49 AM
finish sanding an oak floor RichardS UK diy 6 December 2nd 03 12:48 PM