Posted to alt.home.repair
Colbyt Colbyt is offline

Default Floor Finish ?

"Chris" wrote in message
eb.com...
I have finished sanding the floor and want to use a water based poly. Is
there anything special about water based that I need to know? I have always
used oil based in the past.

I just read that with water based poly you should use a base coat. After
you apply the base coast do you sand before putting on the first coat of
poly?

Thanks
Chris

Chris,

I am often the odd man out in this group. Just saying so you know.

I have used both. The higher grades of the water based do a good job and
last a long time. In this case you really do get what you pay for. They cost
more than the oil based. In a lot of cases the extra expense it worth the
cost.

With bare wood a screening after the first coat is a good option. The water
based product will raise some grain after the first coat. Following label
directions no additional sanding between coats is desired or needed.

Some will say it is harder to get an even sheen or a uniform coat. I say
thin to win and repeat a couple of extra times to get the shine you want.
Globing it on is not the way to go.

Just in case you have an old lambs wool applicator, don't use it. Buy the
one made for water based, wash it well and use it again. Using the lambs
wool, made for oil will give you those bubbles other mentioned.

--
Colbyt