Posted to alt.home.repair
TWayne TWayne is offline

Default Floor Finish ?

In ,
dadiOH typed:
Chris wrote:
"dadiOH" wrote in message
Chris wrote:
I have finished sanding the floor and want to use a
water based poly. Is there anything special about
water based that I need to know? I have always used
oil based in the past.

Handle it gently or you will get bubbles. You'll
probably get them anyway. You want the water base to
keep the wood as light as possible?

I like the idea of the quick dry time and the non
yellowing that the water base poly is suppose to give. I
am trying to keep the wood looking as natural as
possible. These floors are 60 years old and this is the
first time that they have ever been re-done.

Keep in mind that your floor will look markedly different
with water poly. It has its uses but IMO wood looks dead
with it...flat, no color, bluish...

Finishes look fine when I use it. Sheen not as high as varnish or oil poly
but certainly good looking. Waxes easily and can be re-coated in short
periods of time. Perfect for antique furniture, too.