Posted to alt.home.repair
TWayne TWayne is offline

Default Floor Finish ?

In ,
Steve Barker typed:
On 2/16/2012 1:18 PM, Chris wrote:
I have finished sanding the floor and want to use a
water based poly. Is there anything special about water
based that I need to know? I have always used oil based
in the past. I just read that with water based poly you should use a
base coat. After you apply the base coast do you sand
before putting on the first coat of poly?

Thanks
Chris

the main thing you need to know about water based poly is
that it will turn out looking like plastic and fake. And
milky looking if over a dark wood. Use some real floor
finish if you want it to look like something.

BS - simply use the one marked for floors. In my experience it outlasts the
oil type, brush marks settle out faster and application is easier.
It sounds like a lot of the responders here have never used it and know
now of which they speak.
If in doubt, buy a small can & choose an area not normally visible when
furniture is replaced, and try it out next to a square the same size as oil
based. I suspect you'll really like it.
The soapy water cleanup is a blessing also; my brushes last a LOT longer
using the water based stuff. It looks white in the can, but you won't see
that after it's dried. See product container for sanding between coats, etc.

HTH,

Twayne`