Posted to alt.home.repair

Default HELP: stump removal

I've posted several times before on this problem.

I had a black acacia tree ~16 in diameter. I pruned it heavily ~7
yrs ago and it sent up HUNDREDS of root suckers every year. About
1-1/2 years ago I took it down completely, leaving a stump ~10 inches
above grade.

More suckers. LOTS of suckers. It's ruined my lawn and garden.
Round-up weakens the foliage but won't kill them. I finally used
Ortho "Poison ivy & Tough Brush Killer" late last year. It seemed to
kill them but we'll see if they come back.

'k, here's the Q: I got a powder stump killer. Directions say to
drill 1" holes all over. I got a 1" bit and it won't go in even an
inch (wood too hard, even after 1-1/2 yrs). So I tried a 1/2 in bit.
After 3 holes to 10 inches it broke off.

Any ideas how to killthis stump and stop the suckers?

Thanks a heap,
-Zz
"Zz Yzx" rhymes with "physics"; or " Isaacs" if you prefer.
http://www.abandonedbutnotforgotten.com/zzyzx_road.htm
Posted to alt.home.repair

Default stump removal

Zz Yzx wrote:
I've posted several times before on this problem.

I had a black acacia tree ~16 in diameter. I pruned it heavily ~7
yrs ago and it sent up HUNDREDS of root suckers every year. About
1-1/2 years ago I took it down completely, leaving a stump ~10 inches
above grade.

More suckers. LOTS of suckers. It's ruined my lawn and garden.
Round-up weakens the foliage but won't kill them. I finally used
Ortho "Poison ivy & Tough Brush Killer" late last year. It seemed to
kill them but we'll see if they come back.

'k, here's the Q: I got a powder stump killer. Directions say to
drill 1" holes all over. I got a 1" bit and it won't go in even an
inch (wood too hard, even after 1-1/2 yrs). So I tried a 1/2 in bit.
After 3 holes to 10 inches it broke off.

Any ideas how to killthis stump and stop the suckers?

Most plants have as much, or more, living matter below ground as above.

The stump is above ground but all the activity you see is taking place
beneath it. I'd wager that the tree has internally sealed off that part of
the stump exposed to the outside and any circulation within the remaining
tree is taking place well beyond the "scab." You'll have to get your "stump
removal" medicine well into the remains of the tree.

The 1" holes are probably your best bet - according to the makers of the
stump removal compoud.

If your drill can't handle the torque, it's time for a BIGGER drill, say
1/2". You can such a drill for not much.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Zz Yzx wrote:

Any ideas how to killthis stump and stop the suckers?

I often take the tip of my chainsaw to burrow
a few trenches into the stump.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 29 Jan 2012 08:04:02 -0800, Zz Yzx
wrote:

[...]

Google this but years ago I read to drill deep holes and fill with
salt. I don't know personally if this works. I'm sure there are
chemicals in the nursery to do this sorta stuff. Might want to ask a
good nursery in your area what they recommend.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Doug" wrote in
news
wrote:

[...]

Salt: Seems to be a general consenus when approaching root problems with
septic leech systems.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 29 Jan 2012 17:23:19 +0000 (UTC), Red Green
wrote:

"Doug" wrote in
news
wrote:

[...]

I'm told copper works, too.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/29/2012 2:34 PM, Jon Danniken wrote:
Zz Yzx wrote:
[...]

Also stump grinders.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Zz Yzx wrote:

I had a black acacia tree ~16 in diameter. I pruned it heavily ~7
yrs ago and it sent up HUNDREDS of root suckers every year. About
1-1/2 years ago I took it down completely, leaving a stump ~10 inches
above grade.

More suckers. LOTS of suckers. It's ruined my lawn and garden.
Round-up weakens the foliage but won't kill them. I finally used
Ortho "Poison ivy & Tough Brush Killer" late last year. It seemed to
kill them but we'll see if they come back.

Any ideas how to kill this stump and stop the suckers?

Unfortunately I've the same problem. The only solution that worked
for me is digging it out.

The easiest way is to hire someone with a backhoe to do it for you.
The management of my house did want to pay to have it done so my
older son and I dug it out.

Dig a circle about 3 feet (~1 meter) from the center of the stump
and cut off every root you find. Then uproot the stump.

Dick

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 29, 11:04*am, Zz Yzx wrote:
[...]

Had the same happen to me, different type tree. I had the stump ground
but this didnt stop the suckers from coming up. It took about two or
three years for them to stop. Just keep them mowed down until they
do.

Jimmie

Posted to alt.home.repair

http://www.ehow.com/how_12107210_kil...acia-tree.html

Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

Did you ever hear the expression: "There's a Sucker born every minute"?
Now you know why they say that!!!!

(And if you happen to own a rooster, keep him away from those suckers,
or you know what you'll end up with......)

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Doug" wrote in newscuai71bka86b3vmalnq8okhg5160t7d1b@
4ax.com:

Google this but years ago I read to drill deep holes and fill with
salt. I don't know personally if this works.

I do. Worked just fine for me about six years ago to kill a mulberry, after numerous other treatments had
failed. However, it wasn't anywhere nearly as large as the OP's acacia (only about 3" diameter, not
16").

Posted to alt.home.repair

Zz Yzx wrote:
I've posted several times before on this problem.

I had a black acacia tree ~16 in diameter. I pruned it heavily ~7
yrs ago and it sent up HUNDREDS of root suckers every year. About
1-1/2 years ago I took it down completely, leaving a stump ~10 inches
above grade.

More suckers. LOTS of suckers. It's ruined my lawn and garden.
Round-up weakens the foliage but won't kill them. I finally used
Ortho "Poison ivy & Tough Brush Killer" late last year. It seemed to
kill them but we'll see if they come back.

'k, here's the Q: I got a powder stump killer. Directions say to
drill 1" holes all over. I got a 1" bit and it won't go in even an
inch (wood too hard, even after 1-1/2 yrs). So I tried a 1/2 in bit.
After 3 holes to 10 inches it broke off.

Any ideas how to kill this stump and stop the suckers?

Dynamite. Try half a stick first

--

dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 29 Jan 2012 15:39:27 -0500, "Cliff Hartle"
wrote:

http://www.ehow.com/how_12107210_kil...acia-tree.html

As long as you are using ferilizer, may as well just drill a 1 foot
deep hole and tamp it full of super-phosphate , soak it with deisel
fuel, fasten a fuse, stand well back and light.

Then just shovel the hole full.

Posted to alt.home.repair

The one time I took out a stump, I used a Sawzall, and amazing number of
Harbor Freight blades. Then, a cable tool "come along" to the back of my
van, and keep pulling. had to cut a lot more roots, too. Came out, after a
lot of work.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"Dick Adams" wrote in message

Any ideas how to kill this stump and stop the suckers?

Unfortunately I've the same problem. The only solution that worked
for me is digging it out.

The easiest way is to hire someone with a backhoe to do it for you.
The management of my house did want to pay to have it done so my
older son and I dug it out.

Dig a circle about 3 feet (~1 meter) from the center of the stump
and cut off every root you find. Then uproot the stump.

Dick

Posted to alt.home.repair

As to drilling holes. Stumps often have sand, rocks, and other debris mixed
in with the wood. Never know, a carbide bit and hammer drill might do the
trick. I'll admit, I've not tried.

As others have suggested to saw it out, might need name brand blades, and a
sawzall to cut the roots out from under it.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"Zz Yzx" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

Doesn't that dull the chain, rapidly?

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"83LowRider" wrote in message
Zz Yzx wrote:

Any ideas how to killthis stump and stop the suckers?

I often take the tip of my chainsaw to burrow
a few trenches into the stump.

Posted to alt.home.repair

What kind of bit did you use? Have you tried a self-feeding type like
one of these?

http://www.swaintools.com/store/pc/v...?idCategory=43

--
Often wrong, never in doubt.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Use a real brush killer like Garlon

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 29 Jan 2012 18:25:31 -0500, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:

The one time I took out a stump, I used a Sawzall, and amazing number of
Harbor Freight blades. Then, a cable tool "come along" to the back of my
van, and keep pulling. had to cut a lot more roots, too. Came out, after a
lot of work.

I would try everything else before I tried digging.
Pulled about 30 feet of old evergreen bushes and a 3" tree.
Even with a come-along cabled to a tree, I still had to dig and chop
with the bushes.
I soaked the ground first, and that just got me mud.
Still had to dig and chop.
The tree was all digging and chopping.
Unless you need the ground right away, like you're putting a swimming
pool in there, just cut flush and use the drill and salt.
If you can cover the ground with tarp, that might kill off any
"blooming."
Wish I had done that instead of what I did.
Don't know about Acacia though.
I had a big Maple cut down, and they ground out the stump.
Nothing came back, and what's left of the roots that had broken the
surface are dead wood.

--Vic
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/29/2012 2:39 PM, Cliff Hartle wrote:
http://www.ehow.com/how_12107210_kil...acia-tree.html

Great article reference. Exactly what to do.

It seems the OP's prime problem is either the bit or drill motor that he
is using. I've had the best luck when doing this stuff to use a paddle
bit at the highest speed possible. Stop and clear chips as required.
Buy more than one bit or keep a file handy. I suspect he used a twist
bit the first time, though I don't know how he was getting ten inches
deep with a regular one. Extra depth on a speed bore requires an
extension: type speedbor in google. A ship auger should work well
also, but much more expensive.

--

___________________________________

Keep the whole world singing . . .
Dan G
remove the seven
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/29/2012 1:34 PM, Jon Danniken wrote:
Zz Yzx wrote:
[...]

Dad had a small bulldozer back on the farm, we'd tie a choker to a stump
and slap the dozer in low/low pulling most stumps right out
of the ground. ^_^

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

Stormin Mormon wrote:
Doesn't that dull the chain, rapidly?

Any ideas how to killthis stump and stop the suckers?

I often take the tip of my chainsaw to burrow
a few trenches into the stump.

Doesn't that dull the chain, rapidly?

Probably, but it's the end of the job and
there's always a few spare chains in the truck.
The guy at the shop sharpens for 4 bucks each
and I usually take him 10-12 at a time for my
two saws.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 30 Jan 2012 00:14:33 +0000 (UTC),
(Larry W) wrote:

What kind of bit did you use? Have you tried a self-feeding type like
one of these?

http://www.swaintools.com/store/pc/v...?idCategory=43

That's exactly what I used. I got 1/2 inch deep in 10 minutes.

Posted to alt.home.repair

83LowRider wrote:
Stormin Mormon wrote:
Doesn't that dull the chain, rapidly?

Any ideas how to killthis stump and stop the suckers?

I often take the tip of my chainsaw to burrow
a few trenches into the stump.

Doesn't that dull the chain, rapidly?

Probably, but it's the end of the job and
there's always a few spare chains in the truck.
The guy at the shop sharpens for 4 bucks each
and I usually take him 10-12 at a time for my
two saws.

Takes about five minutes with a file to touch them up yourself, and it's not
a difficult skill to learn.

Jon

Posted to alt.home.repair

(Larry W) wrote:
What kind of bit did you use? Have you tried a self-feeding type like
one of these?

http://www.swaintools.com/store/pc/v...?idCategory=43

That's exactly what I used. *I got 1/2 inch deep in 10 minutes.

any chance you had the drill running in reverse?
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Jon Danniken" wrote:
83LowRider wrote:
Stormin Mormon wrote:
Doesn't that dull the chain, rapidly?

Any ideas how to killthis stump and stop the suckers?

I often take the tip of my chainsaw to burrow
a few trenches into the stump.

Doesn't that dull the chain, rapidly?

Probably, but it's the end of the job and
there's always a few spare chains in the truck.
The guy at the shop sharpens for 4 bucks each
and I usually take him 10-12 at a time for my
two saws.

Takes about five minutes with a file to touch them up yourself, and it's not
a difficult skill to learn.

Jon

I tried but did not succeed learning the process. I let my brother use the
HF chain sharpener. You need carbide for stumps.

Greg
Posted to alt.home.repair

.

Zz Yzx wrote:

Any ideas how to killthis stump and stop the suckers?

I often take the tip of my chainsaw to burrow
a few trenches into the stump.

Yep, to the TOP poster.

I have used sawzall but that requires hard blades. A good soak and burn
might be enough to stop growth.

I might just try drilling holes and salt. I might try just covering for a
NO LIGHT situation. It's looking for light.

Greg

Stump removal w Hammer Drill [email protected] Home Repair 36 October 25th 19 02:44 AM
Can this really work? - Stump Removal Bill Stock Home Repair 17 May 1st 07 02:13 PM
"Easy" (haha) stump removal? trader-of-some-jacks Home Repair 24 May 16th 05 01:34 PM
Stump Removal Bob Simon Home Repair 2 April 11th 05 12:09 AM
Tree stump removal Brian UK diy 46 April 6th 04 12:57 PM