Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Stump removal w Hammer Drill

Anybody ever try to remove (chip out) a stump using a chisel
attachment and a hammer drill in the hammer mode?

(I've been looking for an excuse to buy one of these and wondering if
this is my chance)

Tim
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 31 Jan 2009 21:12:36 -0800 (PST), wrote:

Anybody ever try to remove (chip out) a stump using a chisel
attachment and a hammer drill in the hammer mode?

(I've been looking for an excuse to buy one of these and wondering if
this is my chance)

Jump up a notch and buy a Bosch 35lb demo hammer or it's equivalent,
and a clay spade.
http://bosch.cpotools.com/hammers_an...11335k-rt.html
[$800 reconditioned]

I still had to do some digging, but it severed 5-6" pine roots in
short order- and saved me a whole lot of digging when I could angle it
under the tree to cut the tap root.

I chopped the smaller roots with a sacrificial axe and a sharp maddox
depending on where I was standing in relation to the root.

Jim
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
Anybody ever try to remove (chip out) a stump using a chisel
attachment and a hammer drill in the hammer mode?

(I've been looking for an excuse to buy one of these and wondering if
this is my chance)

Tim

Don't think that will work.

I have used a pressure washer to get the dirt from around the roots so I
could make a clean cut.

Got a few strange looks from people driving by.

Colbyt

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 1, 7:42*am, Jim Elbrecht wrote:

I chopped the smaller roots with a sacrificial axe and a sharp maddox
depending on where I was standing in relation to the root.

You mean mattock. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Mattocking.jpg

Maddox is an angry bovine.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 1 Feb 2009 11:40:39 -0800 (PST), Handplanes
wrote:

On Feb 1, 7:42*am, Jim Elbrecht wrote:

I chopped the smaller roots with a sacrificial axe and a sharp maddox
depending on where I was standing in relation to the root.

You mean mattock. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Mattocking.jpg

Yes I did. And I wish I could remember what Agent wanted me to change
it to,but I thought Agent was ignorant and added it.g So now I'm
trying to find Agent's dictionary and make it right again.

Maddox is an angry bovine.

Or a Georgia Governor. And since 1964 I've confused the 2.g

Jim
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On Feb 1, 7:42 am, Jim Elbrecht wrote:
I chopped the smaller roots with a sacrificial axe and a sharp maddox
depending on where I was standing in relation to the root.

You mean mattock. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Mattocking.jpg

Yes I did. And I wish I could remember what Agent wanted me to change
it to,but I thought Agent was ignorant and added it.g So now I'm
trying to find Agent's dictionary and make it right again.

Maddox is an angry bovine.

Or a Georgia Governor. And since 1964 I've confused the 2.g

Wasn't he the one that passed out ax handles for a photo op once? Mebbe
that is how they got conflated in your head.

--
aem sends....
Posted to alt.home.repair

aemeijers wrote:

Jim Elbrecht wrote:
On Sun, 1 Feb 2009 11:40:39 -0800 (PST), Handplanes
wrote:

-snip-
Maddox is an angry bovine.

Or a Georgia Governor. And since 1964 I've confused the 2.g

Wasn't he the one that passed out ax handles for a photo op once? Mebbe
that is how they got conflated in your head.

That's the guy- and though I remember 'ax handles', too, it seems they
were pick handles, so even closer to a mattock-
http://www.southerncurrents.com/misc/maddox_r.htm .

Jim
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 2, 8:14�am, George wrote:
On Sat, 31 Jan 2009 21:12:36 -0800 (PST), wrote:
Anybody ever try to remove (chip out) a stump using a chisel
attachment and a hammer drill in the hammer mode?

(I've been looking for an excuse to buy one of these and wondering if
this is my chance)

Better, an opportunity to practice Zen. �Eventually, they rot.

cut stump off level with grade

dig all around stump, garden hose exposed stump

use chain saw to grind down stump uder grade level.

cover with dirt, seed and forget.

its time consuming but way easiest way
Posted to alt.home.repair

Hey, that's a super duper idea. For stump removal, sawzall
and a LOT of blades is the way to go. Cut the tree as high
as you can, so you've got a lot of trunk to pull on. And
then use a chain and pull it out with the truck. Or come
along tool to the trailer hitch.

Farther out in the country, drill a bunch of holes, soak the
stump with kerosene and burn it out.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Colbyt" wrote in message
m...

I have used a pressure washer to get the dirt from around
the roots so I
could make a clean cut.

Got a few strange looks from people driving by.

Colbyt

Posted to alt.home.repair

I've had several stumps. Wouldn't risk damaging a chain saw or
Sawzall, but I drilled several 1" holes deep into the stump and keep
them filled with 34-0-0, nitrogen fertilizer. After 2-4 years,
depending on the stump size, I easily take out the remains with an
axe.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Ok, another idea: what about using a circular saw to cut the stump
into bite-size pieces that can be hammered off? Will the dirt dull a
circular saw blade in the same way it dulls a chain on a chain saw?

Posted to alt.home.repair

I'm thinking termites.

But if not, at least cut into the face of the stump so it holds rain
water and rots faster.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Yes, it will. Also the circle saw doesn't make a deep enough
cut. The last time I took out a tree, I needed all the
length of blade I could get.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

wrote in message
Ok, another idea: what about using a circular saw to cut
the stump
into bite-size pieces that can be hammered off? Will the
dirt dull a
circular saw blade in the same way it dulls a chain on a
chain saw?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 3, 9:51*am, Bubba wrote:
On Mon, 2 Feb 2009 19:39:33 -0800 (PST), wrote:
Ok, another idea: *what about using a circular saw to cut the stump
into bite-size pieces that can be hammered off? *Will the dirt dull a
circular saw blade in the same way it dulls a chain on a chain saw?

There is a product that you can pour on it that rots the stump out.
Dont remember what it is. Just use Google.
Ive also heard of some of the country fellows drilling several holes
in then and pouring kerosene and oil in them. Let it soak in for a few
days and then light it. Not a good idea though if you live in the city
limits.
Bubba

Saltpetre, its a strong oxidizer that breaks down the wood. I works
but results are slow. I saw my dad do it years ago and think it took a
couple of years.

Jimmie
Posted to alt.home.repair

JIMMIE wrote:
On Feb 3, 9:51 am, Bubba wrote:
On Mon, 2 Feb 2009 19:39:33 -0800 (PST), wrote:
Ok, another idea: what about using a circular saw to cut the stump
into bite-size pieces that can be hammered off? Will the dirt dull a
circular saw blade in the same way it dulls a chain on a chain saw?

There is a product that you can pour on it that rots the stump out.
Dont remember what it is. Just use Google.
Ive also heard of some of the country fellows drilling several holes
in then and pouring kerosene and oil in them. Let it soak in for a
few days and then light it. Not a good idea though if you live in
the city limits.
Bubba

Saltpetre, its a strong oxidizer that breaks down the wood. I works
but results are slow. I saw my dad do it years ago and think it took a
couple of years.

Saltpetre has potassium and nitrogen that are good nutrients. You also want
phosphate. Bird crap could be used as a source. Do not expect a quick
result. In my experience, it has required two or three years before I was
eager to attack the residue.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 4, 5:35*pm, "Clot" wrote:
JIMMIE wrote:
On Feb 3, 9:51 am, Bubba wrote:
[...]

eager to attack the residue.- Hide quoted text -

OK the stump has been removed. Here is what I did:

Used a circular saw to cut a checkerboard pattern in the top surface.
Blade depth about 2-3 inches. Then I took a BFH to it and pounded out
the squares. Repeat.
When I got low enough, I used a sawzall to cut the remaining roots.
Worked very well.

Tim

Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to rminv, Ed the red wrote:
Sorry, the circular will offer only minimal success. Yes, you can saw to a
shallow depth providing the stump wood is dry. The saw binds up in wet wood.
The dirt will dull the blade. Unless you have any he patience of Job and his
entire family, better count on your great grandchildren finishing the job.

Saws-all , axe, mattock, & shovel. The is no easy manual way.

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...ll-356897-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/17/2018 1:14 PM, Ed the red wrote:
replying to rminv, Ed the red wrote:
Sorry, the circular will offer only minimal success. Yes, you can saw
to a
shallow depth providing the stump wood is dry. The saw binds up in wet
wood.
The dirt will dull the blade. Unless you have any he patience of Job
and his
entire family, better count on your great grandchildren finishing the
job.

Saws-all , axe, mattock, & shovel. The is no easy manual way.

High pressure water blaster . Straight nozzle , not fan . Cuts wood like
buttah . Messy though .

--
Snag
Yes , I'm old

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 09/17/2018 12:22 PM, Terry Coombs wrote:
On 9/17/2018 1:14 PM, Ed the red wrote:
replying to rminv, Ed the red wrote:
Sorry, the circular will offer only minimal success. Yes, you can saw
to a
shallow depth providing the stump wood is dry. The saw binds up in wet
wood.
The dirt will dull the blade. Unless you have any he patience of Job
and his
entire family, better count on your great grandchildren finishing the
job.

Saws-all , axe, mattock, & shovel. The is no easy manual way.

High pressure water blaster . Straight nozzle , not fan . Cuts wood like
buttah . Messy though .

Fire line explosives...

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/17/2018 9:21 PM, rbowman wrote:
On 09/17/2018 12:22 PM, Terry Coombs wrote:
On 9/17/2018 1:14 PM, Ed the red wrote:
replying to rminv, Ed the red wrote:
Sorry, the circular will offer only minimal success. Yes, you can saw
to a
shallow depth providing the stump wood is dry. The saw binds up in wet
wood.
The dirt will dull the blade. Unless you have any he patience of Job
and his
entire family, better count on your great grandchildren finishing the
job.

Saws-all , axe, mattock, & shovel. The is no easy manual way.

High pressure water blaster . Straight nozzle , not fan . Cuts wood like
buttah . Messy though .

Fire line explosives...

Â* 250 grain/foot primacord maybe ?

--
Snag
Yes , I'm old

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 09/17/2018 08:33 PM, Terry Coombs wrote:
On 9/17/2018 9:21 PM, rbowman wrote:
On 09/17/2018 12:22 PM, Terry Coombs wrote:
On 9/17/2018 1:14 PM, Ed the red wrote:
replying to rminv, Ed the red wrote:
Sorry, the circular will offer only minimal success. Yes, you can saw
to a
shallow depth providing the stump wood is dry. The saw binds up in wet
wood.
The dirt will dull the blade. Unless you have any he patience of Job
and his
entire family, better count on your great grandchildren finishing the
job.

Saws-all , axe, mattock, & shovel. The is no easy manual way.

High pressure water blaster . Straight nozzle , not fan . Cuts wood like
buttah . Messy though .

Fire line explosives...

250 grain/foot primacord maybe ?

That's the stuff. Insta-Trail.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In rbowman writes:

Saws-all , axe, mattock, & shovel. The is no easy manual way.

High pressure water blaster . Straight nozzle , not fan . Cuts wood like
buttah . Messy though .

Fire line explosives...

250 grain/foot primacord maybe ?

That's the stuff. Insta-Trail.

What's that light duty explosive that shooters use
on their targets when they're hundreds of feet away
to give them a very visible and audible sign they've
aimed correctly?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/18/2018 2:13 AM, danny burstein wrote:
In rbowman writes:

Saws-all , axe, mattock, & shovel. The is no easy manual way.

High pressure water blaster . Straight nozzle , not fan . Cuts wood like
buttah . Messy though .
Fire line explosives...

250 grain/foot primacord maybe ?

That's the stuff. Insta-Trail.

What's that light duty explosive that shooters use
on their targets when they're hundreds of feet away
to give them a very visible and audible sign they've
aimed correctly?

Tannerite ?

--
Snag
Yes , I'm old

Posted to alt.home.repair

In Terry Coombs writes:

What's that light duty explosive that shooters use
on their targets when they're hundreds of feet away
to give them a very visible and audible sign they've
aimed correctly?

Tannerite ?

Ah, that's it. Thanks.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 18 Sep 2018 13:30:39 +0000 (UTC), danny burstein
wrote:

In Terry Coombs writes:

What's that light duty explosive that shooters use
on their targets when they're hundreds of feet away
to give them a very visible and audible sign they've
aimed correctly?

Tannerite ?

Ah, that's it. Thanks.

You have to detonate it :-)

"... two separate components that are mixed by the user. The
combination is relatively stable when subjected to forces less severe
than a high-velocity bullet impact, such as a hammer blow, being
dropped, or impact from a low-velocity bullet or shotgun blast. It is
also designed to be non-flammable[3] — the reaction cannot be
triggered by a burning fuse or electricity."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tannerite_(rifle_targets)

Hold my beer, watch this
Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to Jim Elbrecht, mi-matt wrote:
I have thought about doing this exact thing as far as an improvement over what
I do today. I shovel and axe one side of the tree roots and use a comealong
to pull from another tree base. This uses the weight of the tree as it comes
down as leverage as I cut more roots. usually comes over slowly. Axing
the roots is the worst part so I was considering the bosch. I like the fact
that it pulled the roots out with the tree. I have had 3 larger tree where
the person left the wire basket when planting it 30 years ago and the dam
thing is still in tack. Makes axing a pain. thought about adding a small
winch with remote to make easier. You get faster and better after doing this
a couple times.

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...ll-356897-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to Jim Elbrecht, mi-matt wrote:
bosch came out with cordless version at $200 called the bulldog!

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...ll-356897-.htm

Can this really work? - Stump Removal Bill Stock Home Repair 17 May 1st 07 02:13 PM
drill bit,drill rod,core barrel,core drilling tools, drill tube, DTH hammer and bit, drag bit, thread bit, taper bit,taper rod,integral drill rod,drill steel, button bit, shank adapter,extension rod, speed rod, rock drill, handheld ,pneumatic, motor- [email protected] Home Ownership 0 September 19th 06 03:57 AM
"Easy" (haha) stump removal? trader-of-some-jacks Home Repair 24 May 16th 05 01:34 PM
Stump Removal Bob Simon Home Repair 2 April 11th 05 12:09 AM
Tree stump removal Brian UK diy 46 April 6th 04 12:57 PM