Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] rminv@yahoo.com is offline

Default Stump removal w Hammer Drill

On Feb 4, 5:35*pm, "Clot" wrote:
JIMMIE wrote:
On Feb 3, 9:51 am, Bubba wrote:
On Mon, 2 Feb 2009 19:39:33 -0800 (PST), wrote:
Ok, another idea: what about using a circular saw to cut the stump
into bite-size pieces that can be hammered off? Will the dirt dull a
circular saw blade in the same way it dulls a chain on a chain saw?

There is a product that you can pour on it that rots the stump out.
Dont remember what it is. Just use Google.
Ive also heard of some of the country fellows drilling several holes
in then and pouring kerosene and oil in them. Let it soak in for a
few days and then light it. Not a good idea though if you live in
the city limits.
Bubba

Saltpetre, its a strong oxidizer that breaks down the wood. I works
but results are slow. I saw my dad do it years ago and think it took a
couple of years.

Saltpetre has potassium and nitrogen that are good nutrients. You also want
phosphate. Bird crap could be used as a source. Do not expect a quick
result. In my experience, it has required two or three years before I was
eager to attack the residue.- Hide quoted text -

OK the stump has been removed. Here is what I did:

Used a circular saw to cut a checkerboard pattern in the top surface.
Blade depth about 2-3 inches. Then I took a BFH to it and pounded out
the squares. Repeat.
When I got low enough, I used a sawzall to cut the remaining roots.
Worked very well.

Tim