Posted to alt.home.repair
Jim Elbrecht Jim Elbrecht is offline

Default Stump removal w Hammer Drill

On Sat, 31 Jan 2009 21:12:36 -0800 (PST), wrote:

Anybody ever try to remove (chip out) a stump using a chisel
attachment and a hammer drill in the hammer mode?

(I've been looking for an excuse to buy one of these and wondering if
this is my chance)

Jump up a notch and buy a Bosch 35lb demo hammer or it's equivalent,
and a clay spade.
http://bosch.cpotools.com/hammers_an...11335k-rt.html
[$800 reconditioned]

I still had to do some digging, but it severed 5-6" pine roots in
short order- and saved me a whole lot of digging when I could angle it
under the tree to cut the tap root.

I chopped the smaller roots with a sacrificial axe and a sharp maddox
depending on where I was standing in relation to the root.

Jim