Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Good old 100W bulbs dirt cheap!

For those of you who still like plain old bulbs
for certain applications,
I was at HD last night and they have standard
100W incandescent bulbs from Phillips....

16 for $3!

That's right, Sixteen for $3. I couldn't believe it
and loaded up. They had 60 Watt ones too.
Posted to alt.home.repair

That's cheaper than the Dollar Tree I saw yesterday, four fer a buck.

Maybe they are unloading stock before the law takes effect?

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

wrote in message
For those of you who still like plain old bulbs
for certain applications,
I was at HD last night and they have standard
100W incandescent bulbs from Phillips....

16 for $3!

That's right, Sixteen for $3. I couldn't believe it
and loaded up. They had 60 Watt ones too.

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

On 1/20/2012 9:21 AM, Steve Barker wrote:

... Just the American made ones have gone away. ...

I think they were gone a long time ago... GE shutdown the last US
production not long after the ban legislation passed didn't they?

I know they toyed w/ trying to meet the new efficiency reqm'ts for a
while but gave it up as impractical after a while and quite an investment.

_That's_ how to create US manufacturing jobs in DC, exemplified.

Posted to alt.home.repair

--

yeah, i was buying the USA ones at walmart as recently as 2 weeks ago,
but they were interspersed with the furrin' ones. i suspect they were

--
Steve Barker

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article , dpb wrote:

On 1/20/2012 9:21 AM, Steve Barker wrote:

... Just the American made ones have gone away. ...

I think they were gone a long time ago... GE shutdown the last US
production not long after the ban legislation passed didn't they?

I know they toyed w/ trying to meet the new efficiency reqm'ts for a
while but gave it up as impractical after a while and quite an investment.

_That's_ how to create US manufacturing jobs in DC, exemplified.

--

how is it that others will meet the efficiency requirements and GE couldn't?
Could it be lack of investment in research?
Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

how is it that others will meet the efficiency requirements and GE couldn't?
Could it be lack of investment in research?

a) I'm unaware of anybody who has done same w/ an incandescent or is
even attempting to, and

b) Look up the amounts published(+) they did spend on the project before
finally pulling the plug

(+) I'd also expect that those numbers are only a fraction of the
actual investment made.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/20/2012 12:14 PM, IGot2P wrote:
On 1/20/2012 11:10 AM, Steve Barker wrote:
On 1/20/2012 9:40 AM, dpb wrote:
On 1/20/2012 9:21 AM, Steve Barker wrote:

... Just the American made ones have gone away. ...

I think they were gone a long time ago... GE shutdown the last US
production not long after the ban legislation passed didn't they?

I know they toyed w/ trying to meet the new efficiency reqm'ts for a
while but gave it up as impractical after a while and quite an
investment.

_That's_ how to create US manufacturing jobs in DC, exemplified.

--

yeah, i was buying the USA ones at walmart as recently as 2 weeks ago,
but they were interspersed with the furrin' ones. i suspect they were
just warehouse leftovers. I've got over 400 of them now. I probably have
enough anyway.

Just curious, why would you possibly want 400 of them? Heck, we found
four in a drawer about a month ago and couldn't give them away so we
tossed them.

Don

Well WE just happen to like light. Good old fashioned 100w bulb light.
not no slow glowing off color bull****. and not no four thousand
dollar each LED mother ****ers either.

--
Steve Barker
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/20/2012 12:50 PM, Bernie Ward wrote:
On 1/20/2012 1:14 PM, IGot2P wrote:
On 1/20/2012 11:10 AM, Steve Barker wrote:

yeah, i was buying the USA ones at walmart as recently as 2 weeks ago,
but they were interspersed with the furrin' ones. i suspect they were
just warehouse leftovers. I've got over 400 of them now. I probably have
enough anyway.

Just curious, why would you possibly want 400 of them? Heck, we found
four in a drawer about a month ago and couldn't give them away so we
tossed them.

Don

Multiple choice:
A. Bulb-boy's not very 'bright'.
B. Bulb-boy's a troll
C. Bulb-boy's waiting for them to become scarce and plans on selling
them to some dumbass on fleabay.

Thanks for calling me names.

C. is the correct answer.

--
Steve Barker
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article , dpb wrote:

how is it that others will meet the efficiency requirements and GE couldn't?
Could it be lack of investment in research?

a) I'm unaware of anybody who has done same w/ an incandescent or is
even attempting to, and

b) Look up the amounts published(+) they did spend on the project before
finally pulling the plug

(+) I'd also expect that those numbers are only a fraction of the
actual investment made.

--

so phillips and satco can make the cut, but GE can't?

I couldn't find the amount spent on research. can you provide a link?

Posted to alt.home.repair

JimT wrote:

They think they are going to get rich selling them on eBay. Yup,
that's right. P.T. Barnum had a phrase for these guys.

Right now, today, Ebay has GE 100-watt bulbs for $40 and $75.

'Course these prices are for multi-packs.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from...All-Categories

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

so phillips and satco can make the cut, but GE can't?

I've not seen it.

Oh, the news article says the EcoAdvantage bulb is exclusively available
at HD. That explains not having seen one (and never will in all
likelihood as the closest BORG is 200 mi).

I see from the Philips page they're a halogen element and in looking at
the specs, they cut 25% of output to gain 28% in energy compared to a
standard incandescent. I guess it's just enough to slink in under the
specific way the regulations are written that marketing them as
replacements even when are close to the next lower standard rating is
good enough to get by.

GE apparently was really after a bulb w/ equivalent lumens but inside
the energy mandate and that, at least so far, seems unachievable.

The GE $$ invested in the program was in several news stories at the
time they announced they were dropping the effort--your google surely
must work as well as mine.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/20/2012 5:37 PM, Steve Barker wrote:

Well WE just happen to like light. Good old fashioned 100w bulb light.
not no slow glowing off color bull****. and not no four thousand dollar
each LED mother ****ers either.

As we age, we are more prone to resist change. We tend to dislike
anything new. But since we're old, we've earned the right to use
whatever ****ing light bulbs we want.

That said, I have to share this story. My wife is old and grumpy. She
hates CFLs and LED lights. So the other day I bought one of those 75
watt equivalent Philips bulbs and installed it in one of our matching
table lamps. I didn't tell her I made the switch. The other matching
lamp had a standard 75 watt incandescent bulb. So I powered both lamps
up and called her in the room. I asked her to identify which table lamp
had the LED bulb. After looking back and forth at both lamps for a good
30 seconds, she guessed wrong. She failed the test. Bwahahahahaha! After
all these years, I finally had her speechless.

Yes, the LED bulb is a bit pricey but seeing her speechless was priceless.

www.homedepot.com
Philips 17-Watt (75W) Ambient LED A21 Light Bulb
Model # 418400
Internet # 202920469
Store SKU # 974449
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/20/2012 7:29 PM, Grumpy Old Flatulator wrote:
[...]

I'll swap out some of my cfls with leds when the cfls go out but some of
them are going to outlive me. I keep an eye on the prices of leds at HD
but I can't justify buying them yet.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 20 Jan 2012 16:38:02 -0600, Steve Barker
wrote:

On 1/20/2012 12:50 PM, Bernie Ward wrote:
On 1/20/2012 1:14 PM, IGot2P wrote:
On 1/20/2012 11:10 AM, Steve Barker wrote:

yeah, i was buying the USA ones at walmart as recently as 2 weeks ago,
but they were interspersed with the furrin' ones. i suspect they were
just warehouse leftovers. I've got over 400 of them now. I probably have
enough anyway.

Just curious, why would you possibly want 400 of them? Heck, we found
four in a drawer about a month ago and couldn't give them away so we
tossed them.

Don

Multiple choice:
A. Bulb-boy's not very 'bright'.
B. Bulb-boy's a troll
C. Bulb-boy's waiting for them to become scarce and plans on selling
them to some dumbass on fleabay.

Thanks for calling me names.

Makes you feel pretty good when BW calls you dumb, eh? ;-)

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/20/2012 6:47 PM, HeyBub wrote:
JimT wrote:
They think they are going to get rich selling them on eBay. Yup,
that's right. P.T. Barnum had a phrase for these guys.

Right now, today, Ebay has GE 100-watt bulbs for $40 and $75.

'Course these prices are for multi-packs.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from...All-Categories

Hey! He's got more than 10. Hurry! Buy them!

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/20/2012 7:47 PM, HeyBub wrote:
JimT wrote:

They think they are going to get rich selling them on eBay. Yup,
that's right. P.T. Barnum had a phrase for these guys.

Right now, today, Ebay has GE 100-watt bulbs for $40 and $75.

'Course these prices are for multi-packs.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from...All-Categories

They also have them for less than 52 cents a piece.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/96-100-Watt-...em3f0b5f 130d

Maybe I can trade some Pokemon cards for 100 watt bulbs? Nah, Pokemon's
are probably worth more. There are going to be a lot of people stuck
with hundreds of 100 watt bulbs. LOL
Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

You will pay for this prank. And pay dearly.

Posted to alt.home.repair

JimT wrote:

They think they are going to get rich selling them on eBay. Yup,
that's right. P.T. Barnum had a phrase for these guys.

Right now, today, Ebay has GE 100-watt bulbs for $40 and $75.

'Course these prices are for multi-packs.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from...All-Categories

They also have them for less than 52 cents a piece.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/96-100-Watt-...em3f0b5f 130d

Maybe I can trade some Pokemon cards for 100 watt bulbs? Nah, Pokemon's
are probably worth more. There are going to be a lot of people stuck
with hundreds of 100 watt bulbs. LOL

Reminds me a lot of people I have seen stock up on commodity stuff
thinking it will be worth something. Problem is there are the other
thousands of people why did the same thing.

There is also a similar thing with Lionel trains. Old trains can be
worth a lot because they are rare. So thousands of folks pay lots of
money for new trains that must be kept in the original packaging. Only
problem is there are 100,000 people doing the same thing so the trains
will never appreciate.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 21, 7:38*am, George wrote:
On 1/20/2012 8:35 AM, wrote:

For those of you who still like plain old bulbs
for certain applications,
I was at HD last night and they have standard
100W incandescent bulbs from Phillips....

16 *for $3!

That's right, Sixteen for $3. *I couldn't believe it
and loaded up. * They had 60 Watt ones too.

Serious question. What use is there for 100w incandescent bulbs? We had
a couple in places like the basement but they were replaced some years
ago with CFLs that work fine.

How about outside my front door, where I don't
want to wait 5 mins for it to put out light when it's
cold? Or how about a closet where I only use
it for 2 mins once a week and want light
instantly and a 20 cent bulb is more cost
effective than a $3 one? Or for a decorative
fixture where I think it looks better with the
light from an incandescent? Or for other
applications where I'm tired of the crap shoot
in buying CFLs, not knowing how fast they
will come up to brightness, how long they
will last before they crap out, which in my
experience for many is nowhere near the
number of years claimed. Or maybe I'm
just an environmental extremist and believe
the mercury in them will ruin the planet.
Any of them good enough?
Posted to alt.home.repair

How about outside my front door, where I don't
want to wait 5 mins for it to put out light when it's
cold? * Or how about a closet where I only use
it for 2 mins once a week and want light
instantly and a 20 cent bulb is more cost
effective than a $3 one? *Or for a decorative
fixture where I think it looks better with the
light from an incandescent? *Or for other
applications where I'm tired of the crap shoot
in buying CFLs, not knowing how fast they
will come up to brightness, how long they
will last before they crap out, which in my
experience for many is nowhere near the
number of years claimed. *Or maybe I'm
just an environmental extremist and believe
the mercury in them will ruin the planet.
Any of them good enough?

this discussion is like talking to many seniors about forced direct
depoit of SS checks. They resist change even when its good for them.

one doesnt like direct deposit even after having a check lost in the
mail years ago. he said it took 2 months for replacement......

Posted to alt.home.repair

I hope you don't think that now we have to "prove" that items have
legitimate uses. In a free country, we should do what we want, and can
afford to pay for. It's not the government's place to decide what has
"legitimate lighting purpose".

What's next? Having all our outgoing emails censored and approved, for
legitimate communication purpose?

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"George" wrote in message

Serious question. What use is there for 100w incandescent bulbs? We had
a couple in places like the basement but they were replaced some years
ago with CFLs that work fine.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 21, 8:22*am, bob haller wrote:
[...]

mail years ago. he said it took 2 months for replacement......- Hide quoted text -

I'd say this discussion is like talking to folks that
can't understand there are some applications that
an ordinary old incandescent is well suited to.
Like my example of an outside location, where I
turn it on for 5 mins once in a blue moon and don't
want to wait 5 mins for a CFL on a cold night. And
where I'm not going to
pay $15 for an LED that's going to be exposed
to moisture, etc and will probably fail long before
that magical 40,000 hour number that some
folks will just swallow because it's printed on the
box.
Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

On 1/21/2012 6:38 AM, George wrote:

Serious question. What use is there for 100w incandescent bulbs?...

Been thru this over and over...

Primarily outside in cold temperature applications where the warmup
period is excessive (or it's so cold they won't light at all). My
particular application is the barn when having calving or the like at
2AM and it's bitter cold and not in a very good mood anyway I'll be d-d
if I'm going to wait to see anything--and the heat doesn't do any harm
besides. As another suggested, if my stash of 100's runs out, I'll just
move up to 150's that aren't under the ban (yet, anyway).

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/21/2012 8:07 AM, wrote:
On Jan 21, 7:38 am, wrote:
On 1/20/2012 8:35 AM, wrote:

[...]

Isn't using 100 watt bulbs in a closet and in outside home light a
little risky? There was a house fire right down the road from us and
the cause was found to be a 100w bulb in a outside residential fixture.

I have found that the cheepo CFLs have all of the issues.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/21/2012 8:22 AM, bob haller wrote:

How about outside my front door, where I don't
want to wait 5 mins for it to put out light when it's
cold? Or how about a closet where I only use
it for 2 mins once a week and want light
instantly and a 20 cent bulb is more cost
effective than a $3 one? Or for a decorative
fixture where I think it looks better with the
light from an incandescent? Or for other
applications where I'm tired of the crap shoot
in buying CFLs, not knowing how fast they
will come up to brightness, how long they
will last before they crap out, which in my
experience for many is nowhere near the
number of years claimed. Or maybe I'm
just an environmental extremist and believe
the mercury in them will ruin the planet.
Any of them good enough?

this discussion is like talking to many seniors about forced direct
depoit of SS checks. They resist change even when its good for them.

Some do. And many are really eager to learn if the new thing is better
or worse and not simply reject it.

one doesnt like direct deposit even after having a check lost in the
mail years ago. he said it took 2 months for replacement......

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

On 1/20/2012 6:48 PM, dpb wrote:

The GE $$ invested in the program was in several news stories at the
time they announced they were dropping the effort--your google surely
must work as well as mine.

General Electric is restructuring its lighting business ... The move
directly affects the companies ability to manufacture incandescent
light bulbs ...

The move will affect a number of facilities and positions globally,
including: the closing of all lighting operations in Rio de Janeiro,
Brazil, impacting approximately 900 jobs, and the closing of some
lighting operations in the U.S., impacting approximately 425 jobs.

The move is a continuation of recent activity that included facility
closures, work transfers, layoffs and the sale of operations at GE
sites in Europe, China, Indonesia, the U.S., Latin America, and India
that impacted more than 3,000 positions.

“The restructuring we are proposing, while very difficult due to the
impact on employees, would be one of the most important things we’ve
done in the 100-plus-year history of GE’s lighting business,” said
Jim Campbell, president & CEO of GE’s consumer & industrial division,
in a release.

Over the last four years, GE says it has invested more than $200
million in energy-efficient lighting.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/21/2012 8:46 AM, George wrote:

i call bull**** on that.

I have found that the cheepo CFLs have all of the issues.

--
Steve Barker

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 21 Jan 2012 05:22:12 -0800 (PST), bob haller wrote:

How about outside my front door, where I don't
want to wait 5 mins for it to put out light when it's
cold? * Or how about a closet where I only use
it for 2 mins once a week and want light
instantly and a 20 cent bulb is more cost
effective than a $3 one? *Or for a decorative
fixture where I think it looks better with the
light from an incandescent? *Or for other
applications where I'm tired of the crap shoot
in buying CFLs, not knowing how fast they
will come up to brightness, how long they
will last before they crap out, which in my
experience for many is nowhere near the
number of years claimed. *Or maybe I'm
just an environmental extremist and believe
the mercury in them will ruin the planet.
Any of them good enough?

this discussion is like talking to many seniors about forced direct
depoit of SS checks. They resist change even when its good for them.

And there, folks, you have the true "liberal/progressive" (leftist) agenda
shining through; force people to do what *I* think is good for them, for "I
know better what they need better than they".

one doesnt like direct deposit even after having a check lost in the
mail years ago. he said it took 2 months for replacement......

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 21 Jan 2012 09:46:40 -0500, George wrote:

On 1/21/2012 8:07 AM, wrote:
On Jan 21, 7:38 am, wrote:
On 1/20/2012 8:35 AM, wrote:

[...]

Are you saying that there are no 100W fixtures? If it's a 60W fixture, it is
a good idea to use a 60W bulb, no?

I have found that the cheepo CFLs have all of the issues.

I've found it's a crap shoot. Expensive good. I'll pass, thanks.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 21 Jan 2012 08:36:31 -0500, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:

I hope you don't think that now we have to "prove" that items have
legitimate uses. In a free country, we should do what we want, and can
afford to pay for. It's not the government's place to decide what has
"legitimate lighting purpose".

Anarchist!

What's next? Having all our outgoing emails censored and approved, for
legitimate communication purpose?

I hope you have good justification for that statement.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/21/2012 8:07 AM, wrote:
On Jan 21, 7:38 am, wrote:
On 1/20/2012 8:35 AM, wrote:

[...]

100W lamp in a 60W fixture. Unlikely but possible.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
On Jan 21, 7:38 am, wrote:
On 1/20/2012 8:35 AM, wrote:

[...]

even if in a 60w fixture. not likely to cause a problem. Especially in
an outside fixture. He's just a liar.

--
Steve Barker

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 21, 9:48*am, George wrote:
[...]

Excuse me ****wit, but I have NOT rejected CFLs
All I have done is point out that they are not well
suited for ALL applications. And that when you
buy one, you really don't know what the light will
look like, how long it takes to warm up and put
out light, how much you can really dim it, etc.

It's amazing that some ****wits think CFLs are
ideally suited to ALL applications and anyone who
dares raise objections is just stupid. Maybe it's because
all they have is one bulb in their trailer and don't give
a damn how it looks, how long it takes to put out
light, etc. These same ****wits would probably
think it great if the govt decided they should all
eat tofu five times a week and forced that down
their throats too.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 21, 9:46*am, George wrote:
On 1/21/2012 8:07 AM, wrote:

On Jan 21, 7:38 am, *wrote:
On 1/20/2012 8:35 AM, wrote:

[...]

I have found that the cheepo CFLs have all of the issues.- Hide quoted text -

OK, so now you're obviously a troll.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/21/2012 8:07 AM, wrote:
On Jan 21, 7:38 am, *wrote:
On 1/20/2012 8:35 AM, wrote:

[...]

I've found it's a crap shoot. *Expensive good. *I'll pass, thanks.- Hide quoted text -

He's a dim bulb troll.
Posted to alt.home.repair

About how many watts?

Christopher A. Young