Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Good old 100W bulbs dirt cheap!

For those of you who still like plain old bulbs
for certain applications,
I was at HD last night and they have standard
100W incandescent bulbs from Phillips....

16 for $3!

That's right, Sixteen for $3. I couldn't believe it
and loaded up. They had 60 Watt ones too.
Posted to alt.home.repair

That's cheaper than the Dollar Tree I saw yesterday, four fer a buck.

Maybe they are unloading stock before the law takes effect?

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

wrote in message
For those of you who still like plain old bulbs
for certain applications,
I was at HD last night and they have standard
100W incandescent bulbs from Phillips....

16 for $3!

That's right, Sixteen for $3. I couldn't believe it
and loaded up. They had 60 Watt ones too.

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

On 1/20/2012 9:21 AM, Steve Barker wrote:

... Just the American made ones have gone away. ...

I think they were gone a long time ago... GE shutdown the last US
production not long after the ban legislation passed didn't they?

I know they toyed w/ trying to meet the new efficiency reqm'ts for a
while but gave it up as impractical after a while and quite an investment.

_That's_ how to create US manufacturing jobs in DC, exemplified.

Posted to alt.home.repair

--

yeah, i was buying the USA ones at walmart as recently as 2 weeks ago,
but they were interspersed with the furrin' ones. i suspect they were

--
Steve Barker

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article , dpb wrote:

On 1/20/2012 9:21 AM, Steve Barker wrote:

... Just the American made ones have gone away. ...

I think they were gone a long time ago... GE shutdown the last US
production not long after the ban legislation passed didn't they?

I know they toyed w/ trying to meet the new efficiency reqm'ts for a
while but gave it up as impractical after a while and quite an investment.

_That's_ how to create US manufacturing jobs in DC, exemplified.

--

how is it that others will meet the efficiency requirements and GE couldn't?
Could it be lack of investment in research?
Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

how is it that others will meet the efficiency requirements and GE couldn't?
Could it be lack of investment in research?

a) I'm unaware of anybody who has done same w/ an incandescent or is
even attempting to, and

b) Look up the amounts published(+) they did spend on the project before
finally pulling the plug

(+) I'd also expect that those numbers are only a fraction of the
actual investment made.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article , dpb wrote:

how is it that others will meet the efficiency requirements and GE couldn't?
Could it be lack of investment in research?

a) I'm unaware of anybody who has done same w/ an incandescent or is
even attempting to, and

b) Look up the amounts published(+) they did spend on the project before
finally pulling the plug

(+) I'd also expect that those numbers are only a fraction of the
actual investment made.

--

so phillips and satco can make the cut, but GE can't?

I couldn't find the amount spent on research. can you provide a link?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 21, 7:38*am, George wrote:
On 1/20/2012 8:35 AM, wrote:

For those of you who still like plain old bulbs
for certain applications,
I was at HD last night and they have standard
100W incandescent bulbs from Phillips....

16 *for $3!

That's right, Sixteen for $3. *I couldn't believe it
and loaded up. * They had 60 Watt ones too.

Serious question. What use is there for 100w incandescent bulbs? We had
a couple in places like the basement but they were replaced some years
ago with CFLs that work fine.

How about outside my front door, where I don't
want to wait 5 mins for it to put out light when it's
cold? Or how about a closet where I only use
it for 2 mins once a week and want light
instantly and a 20 cent bulb is more cost
effective than a $3 one? Or for a decorative
fixture where I think it looks better with the
light from an incandescent? Or for other
applications where I'm tired of the crap shoot
in buying CFLs, not knowing how fast they
will come up to brightness, how long they
will last before they crap out, which in my
experience for many is nowhere near the
number of years claimed. Or maybe I'm
just an environmental extremist and believe
the mercury in them will ruin the planet.
Any of them good enough?

Posted to alt.home.repair

How about outside my front door, where I don't
want to wait 5 mins for it to put out light when it's
cold? * Or how about a closet where I only use
it for 2 mins once a week and want light
instantly and a 20 cent bulb is more cost
effective than a $3 one? *Or for a decorative
fixture where I think it looks better with the
light from an incandescent? *Or for other
applications where I'm tired of the crap shoot
in buying CFLs, not knowing how fast they
will come up to brightness, how long they
will last before they crap out, which in my
experience for many is nowhere near the
number of years claimed. *Or maybe I'm
just an environmental extremist and believe
the mercury in them will ruin the planet.
Any of them good enough?

this discussion is like talking to many seniors about forced direct
depoit of SS checks. They resist change even when its good for them.

one doesnt like direct deposit even after having a check lost in the
mail years ago. he said it took 2 months for replacement......

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 21, 8:22*am, bob haller wrote:
[...]

mail years ago. he said it took 2 months for replacement......- Hide quoted text -

I'd say this discussion is like talking to folks that
can't understand there are some applications that
an ordinary old incandescent is well suited to.
Like my example of an outside location, where I
turn it on for 5 mins once in a blue moon and don't
want to wait 5 mins for a CFL on a cold night. And
where I'm not going to
pay $15 for an LED that's going to be exposed
to moisture, etc and will probably fail long before
that magical 40,000 hour number that some
folks will just swallow because it's printed on the
box.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
[...]

You COULD put a CFL in the porch light and have it driven by a
light-sensitive switch. Leave it on all the time. It would deter evil-doers
lurking in your yard, all the ready for mischief. It would welcome visitors
who would not stumble on your darkened steps.

'Course it would cost an itty-bit more, but what's a few bucks when we're
talking about your safety or that of your mother-in-law?

I've got TEN surrounding my duplex. So far, I've not been troubled by a
midnight goblin or a rickety mother-in-law.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Red Red is offline

On Jan 21, 7:37*am, "
wrote:

this discussion is like talking to many seniors about forced direct
depoit of SS checks. They resist change even when its good for them.

one doesnt like direct deposit even after having a check lost in the
mail years ago. he said it took 2 months for replacement......- Hide quoted text -

I'd say this discussion is like talking to folks that
can't understand there are some applications that
an ordinary old incandescent is well suited to.

Very true! A major complaint by those folks is that incandescent
bulbs waste energy in the form of heat. But that is exactly why I use
them in a well pump house. The heat is enough to keep the pipes and
tank from freezing. And it is saving energy when you compare 100w
from a bulb versus 600-1500w from a heater. But those close minded
liberal tree huggers just can't see beyond their own little world.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/21/2012 8:22 AM, bob haller wrote:

How about outside my front door, where I don't
want to wait 5 mins for it to put out light when it's
cold? Or how about a closet where I only use
it for 2 mins once a week and want light
instantly and a 20 cent bulb is more cost
effective than a $3 one? Or for a decorative
fixture where I think it looks better with the
light from an incandescent? Or for other
applications where I'm tired of the crap shoot
in buying CFLs, not knowing how fast they
will come up to brightness, how long they
will last before they crap out, which in my
experience for many is nowhere near the
number of years claimed. Or maybe I'm
just an environmental extremist and believe
the mercury in them will ruin the planet.
Any of them good enough?

this discussion is like talking to many seniors about forced direct
depoit of SS checks. They resist change even when its good for them.

Some do. And many are really eager to learn if the new thing is better
or worse and not simply reject it.

one doesnt like direct deposit even after having a check lost in the
mail years ago. he said it took 2 months for replacement......

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 21, 9:48*am, George wrote:
[...]

Excuse me ****wit, but I have NOT rejected CFLs
All I have done is point out that they are not well
suited for ALL applications. And that when you
buy one, you really don't know what the light will
look like, how long it takes to warm up and put
out light, how much you can really dim it, etc.

It's amazing that some ****wits think CFLs are
ideally suited to ALL applications and anyone who
dares raise objections is just stupid. Maybe it's because
all they have is one bulb in their trailer and don't give
a damn how it looks, how long it takes to put out
light, etc. These same ****wits would probably
think it great if the govt decided they should all
eat tofu five times a week and forced that down
their throats too.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 21 Jan 2012 05:22:12 -0800 (PST), bob haller wrote:

How about outside my front door, where I don't
want to wait 5 mins for it to put out light when it's
cold? * Or how about a closet where I only use
it for 2 mins once a week and want light
instantly and a 20 cent bulb is more cost
effective than a $3 one? *Or for a decorative
fixture where I think it looks better with the
light from an incandescent? *Or for other
applications where I'm tired of the crap shoot
in buying CFLs, not knowing how fast they
will come up to brightness, how long they
will last before they crap out, which in my
experience for many is nowhere near the
number of years claimed. *Or maybe I'm
just an environmental extremist and believe
the mercury in them will ruin the planet.
Any of them good enough?

this discussion is like talking to many seniors about forced direct
depoit of SS checks. They resist change even when its good for them.

And there, folks, you have the true "liberal/progressive" (leftist) agenda
shining through; force people to do what *I* think is good for them, for "I
know better what they need better than they".

one doesnt like direct deposit even after having a check lost in the
mail years ago. he said it took 2 months for replacement......

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/21/2012 8:07 AM, wrote:
On Jan 21, 7:38 am, wrote:
On 1/20/2012 8:35 AM, wrote:

[...]

Isn't using 100 watt bulbs in a closet and in outside home light a
little risky? There was a house fire right down the road from us and
the cause was found to be a 100w bulb in a outside residential fixture.

I have found that the cheepo CFLs have all of the issues.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/21/2012 8:46 AM, George wrote:

i call bull**** on that.

I have found that the cheepo CFLs have all of the issues.

--
Steve Barker
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/21/2012 8:07 AM, wrote:
On Jan 21, 7:38 am, wrote:
On 1/20/2012 8:35 AM, wrote:

[...]

100W lamp in a 60W fixture. Unlikely but possible.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/21/2012 8:07 AM, wrote:
On Jan 21, 7:38 am, wrote:
On 1/20/2012 8:35 AM, wrote:

[...]

Sorry that you have a limited imagination and can't imagine how leaving
a fixture on all the time on an old house with old dry siding and crappy
wiring could be a problem. Maybe they could fire all of the state police
fire marshals and lab folks and just have you stop over and declare "I
can't see how this fire started"?

I have found that the cheepo CFLs have all of the issues.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 21 Jan 2012 09:46:40 -0500, George wrote:

On 1/21/2012 8:07 AM, wrote:
On Jan 21, 7:38 am, wrote:
On 1/20/2012 8:35 AM, wrote:

[...]

Are you saying that there are no 100W fixtures? If it's a 60W fixture, it is
a good idea to use a 60W bulb, no?

I have found that the cheepo CFLs have all of the issues.

I've found it's a crap shoot. Expensive good. I'll pass, thanks.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/21/2012 8:07 AM, wrote:
On Jan 21, 7:38 am, *wrote:
On 1/20/2012 8:35 AM, wrote:

[...]

I've found it's a crap shoot. *Expensive good. *I'll pass, thanks.- Hide quoted text -

He's a dim bulb troll.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 21, 9:46*am, George wrote:
On 1/21/2012 8:07 AM, wrote:

On Jan 21, 7:38 am, *wrote:
On 1/20/2012 8:35 AM, wrote:

[...]

I have found that the cheepo CFLs have all of the issues.- Hide quoted text -

OK, so now you're obviously a troll.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/21/2012 3:46 PM, zzzzzzzzzz wrote:

A lousy attempt at trolling. Try again.

Did your mother drop you on your head when you were little?

Posted to alt.home.repair

I hope you don't think that now we have to "prove" that items have
legitimate uses. In a free country, we should do what we want, and can
afford to pay for. It's not the government's place to decide what has
"legitimate lighting purpose".

What's next? Having all our outgoing emails censored and approved, for
legitimate communication purpose?

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"George" wrote in message

Serious question. What use is there for 100w incandescent bulbs? We had
a couple in places like the basement but they were replaced some years
ago with CFLs that work fine.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 21 Jan 2012 08:36:31 -0500, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:

I hope you don't think that now we have to "prove" that items have
legitimate uses. In a free country, we should do what we want, and can
afford to pay for. It's not the government's place to decide what has
"legitimate lighting purpose".

Anarchist!

What's next? Having all our outgoing emails censored and approved, for
legitimate communication purpose?

I hope you have good justification for that statement.

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

On 1/21/2012 6:38 AM, George wrote:

Serious question. What use is there for 100w incandescent bulbs?...

Been thru this over and over...

Primarily outside in cold temperature applications where the warmup
period is excessive (or it's so cold they won't light at all). My
particular application is the barn when having calving or the like at
2AM and it's bitter cold and not in a very good mood anyway I'll be d-d
if I'm going to wait to see anything--and the heat doesn't do any harm
besides. As another suggested, if my stash of 100's runs out, I'll just
move up to 150's that aren't under the ban (yet, anyway).