Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Default Good old 100W bulbs dirt cheap!

so phillips and satco can make the cut, but GE can't?

I've not seen it.

Oh, the news article says the EcoAdvantage bulb is exclusively available
at HD. That explains not having seen one (and never will in all
likelihood as the closest BORG is 200 mi).

I see from the Philips page they're a halogen element and in looking at
the specs, they cut 25% of output to gain 28% in energy compared to a
standard incandescent. I guess it's just enough to slink in under the
specific way the regulations are written that marketing them as
replacements even when are close to the next lower standard rating is
good enough to get by.

GE apparently was really after a bulb w/ equivalent lumens but inside
the energy mandate and that, at least so far, seems unachievable.

The GE $$ invested in the program was in several news stories at the
time they announced they were dropping the effort--your google surely
must work as well as mine.