Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Silicone caulk

Will new silicone stick to old silicone? I think not but thought I'd ask.

My ex-father in law put a glass block window in one of the showers in the
house my wife inherited recently. They aren't standard, mortar in blocks,
they are a kit using a plastic frame and thin (80mm +-) blocks which are
held together and in the frame with silicone and thin metal/plastic spacers
that fit into recesses on the block edges.

After the thing is put together, the joints are caulked with silicone and it
is here that ex-FIL messed up the most...I've seen smoother cobblestone
roads. I would like to cut off the worst of it and apply new, making it
smoother. Yay or nay?

--

dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/21/2011 1:08 PM, dadiOH wrote:
Will new silicone stick to old silicone? I think not but thought I'd ask.

My ex-father in law put a glass block window in one of the showers in the
house my wife inherited recently. They aren't standard, mortar in blocks,
they are a kit using a plastic frame and thin (80mm +-) blocks which are
held together and in the frame with silicone and thin metal/plastic spacers
that fit into recesses on the block edges.

After the thing is put together, the joints are caulked with silicone and it
is here that ex-FIL messed up the most...I've seen smoother cobblestone
roads. I would like to cut off the worst of it and apply new, making it
smoother. Yay or nay?

no. nothing sticks to pure silicone. latex mixed in is for paintable
silicone, and stuff will stick to that, sorta.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 21, 3:08*pm, "dadiOH" wrote:
Will new silicone stick to old silicone? *I think not but thought I'd ask.

My ex-father in law put a glass block window in one of the showers in the
house my wife inherited recently. *They aren't standard, mortar in blocks,
they are a kit using a plastic frame and thin (80mm +-) blocks which are
held together and in the frame with silicone and thin metal/plastic spacers
that fit into recesses on the block edges.

After the thing is put together, the joints are caulked with silicone and it
is here that ex-FIL messed up the most...I've seen smoother cobblestone
roads. *I would like to cut off the worst of it and apply new, making it
smoother. *Yay or nay?

--

dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...
Get it athttp://mysite.verizon.net/xico

Nevermind about the caulk, I'm trying to follow the genealogy path
here.

The house was inherited by your wife and the work was done by your ex-
father in law.

That can't be your wife's father because if she's still your wife, he
wouldn't be an ex.

So was your ex-FIL just a guy who worked on the house that your wife
inherited from someone else?

Or if she's actually your ex-wife, why are you worried about the caulk
in her bathroom? ;-)

Color me curious.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Here's your song:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rXU-ZdmzNmo
I've had some success, trimming silicone with a new razor blade. Careful!
I've also trimmed finger the same way. As others have written, silicone
doesn't stick very well to silicone.

--

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"dadiOH" wrote in message
Will new silicone stick to old silicone? I think not but thought I'd ask.

My ex-father in law put a glass block window in one of the showers in the
house my wife inherited recently. They aren't standard, mortar in blocks,
they are a kit using a plastic frame and thin (80mm +-) blocks which are
held together and in the frame with silicone and thin metal/plastic spacers
that fit into recesses on the block edges.

After the thing is put together, the joints are caulked with silicone and it
is here that ex-FIL messed up the most...I've seen smoother cobblestone
roads. I would like to cut off the worst of it and apply new, making it
smoother. Yay or nay?

--

dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

Posted to alt.home.repair

DerbyDad03 wrote:

Nevermind about the caulk, I'm trying to follow the genealogy path
here.

The house was inherited by your wife and the work was done by your ex-
father in law.

That can't be your wife's father because if she's still your wife, he
wouldn't be an ex.

So was your ex-FIL just a guy who worked on the house that your wife
inherited from someone else?

Or if she's actually your ex-wife, why are you worried about the caulk
in her bathroom? ;-)

Color me curious.

Hi, Curious...

Ex-FIL was a jerk who married wife's mother. His #5, her #3. Wife's mother
died, so he is now an ex. Out of the picture totally, thanks be.

--

dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 21, 3:50*pm, "dadiOH" wrote:
DerbyDad03 wrote:
[...]

Get it athttp://mysite.verizon.net/xico- Hide quoted text -

Probably wouldn't have figured that one out! ;-)

BTW I'd think the old silicon would peel off fairly easily.

At least the Dow 732 silicon that I like to use does.

Holds like crazy but pretty easy to get off of smooth surfaces
especially glass.

Posted to alt.home.repair

DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Dec 21, 3:50 pm, "dadiOH" wrote:
DerbyDad03 wrote:
[...]

Silicone one, from my use, is very difficult to get off glass. It like
bonds. I was trying to take silicone off my windshield, had to use razor,
AND, my finger nails.

Greg
Posted to alt.home.repair

"dadiOH" wrote:
Will new silicone stick to old silicone? I think not but thought I'd ask.

My ex-father in law put a glass block window in one of the showers in the
house my wife inherited recently. They aren't standard, mortar in blocks,
they are a kit using a plastic frame and thin (80mm +-) blocks which are
held together and in the frame with silicone and thin metal/plastic spacers
that fit into recesses on the block edges.

After the thing is put together, the joints are caulked with silicone and it
is here that ex-FIL messed up the most...I've seen smoother cobblestone
roads. I would like to cut off the worst of it and apply new, making it
smoother. Yay or nay?

It will stick pretty good, but you have to clean it first with degreaser.
Trouble is, I don't know what's compatibility among the different
silicones.

Silicone one should work with silicone one. That smelly stuff, I often wet
with alcohol to smooth it down, not spit. Pure alcohol also make a good
degreaser. The clean silicone tends to be slippery, and after cleaning is
not.

Do a test first!!!

Greg
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/21/2011 8:16 PM, gregz wrote:
wrote:
[...]

I agree. Technically it should stick to clean surface.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 21 Dec 2011 12:18:51 -0800 (PST), DerbyDad03
wrote:

Nevermind about the caulk, I'm trying to follow the genealogy path
here.

Figure this one:

Married four times, divorced once.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Nevermind about the caulk, I'm trying to follow the genealogy path
here.

Figure this one:

Married four times, divorced once.

Mormon?

Nope. I give you ten more try's to figure it out.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Silicone caulk (now, I'm my own grand pa)

Lousy cook.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"Parker Farnsworthy" wrote in message

Figure this one:

Married four times, divorced once.

Mormon?

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Nevermind about the caulk, I'm trying to follow the genealogy path
here.

Figure this one:

Married four times, divorced once.

Three died?

--

dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

Posted to alt.home.repair

gregz wrote:
"dadiOH" wrote:
[...]

I absolutively will. All I really want is for it to bond (to the old
silicone) well enough so that casual cleaning won't pull it off.

--

dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
On Wed, 21 Dec 2011 15:08:38 -0500, "dadiOH"
wrote:

Will new silicone stick to old silicone? I think not but thought
I'd ask.

My ex-father in law put a glass block window in one of the showers
in the house my wife inherited recently. They aren't standard,
mortar in blocks, they are a kit using a plastic frame and thin
(80mm +-) blocks which are held together and in the frame with
silicone and thin metal/plastic spacers that fit into recesses on
the block edges.

After the thing is put together, the joints are caulked with
silicone and it is here that ex-FIL messed up the most...I've seen
smoother cobblestone roads. I would like to cut off the worst of it
and apply new, making it smoother. Yay or nay?

Yes it will stick to the old silicone as long as the old is clean and
dry. I have done it numerous times on my barn roof. The roof is 50
years old and while the metal itself is still in good shape, the nails
like to pop up and create a leak. Years ago I put silicone on every
nail head on the whole roof, after making sure the nails were tight.
That worked wonders, but every year a few nails pop loose. These days
I replace the loose ones with screws, but the screws are the same
thickness as the nails, I goop them full of silicone. It sticks just
fine to the old silicone that remains around the old nail head. If I
was to make a generalization statement, I'd say that silicone sticks
to itself better than it sticks to any other material.

Why not just try a foot or two and see how it works? Just be sure
it's completely dry because silicone does not stick to wet surfaces.

GREAT! Thanks.

--

dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...
Get it at
http://mysite.verizon.net/xico

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
Nevermind about the caulk, I'm trying to follow the genealogy path
here.

Figure this one:

Married four times, divorced once.

One of my grandfathers was married three times and never divorced.
Could that be a hint?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 22, 1:14*am, Oren wrote:
On Wed, 21 Dec 2011 21:46:12 -0800 (PST), "hr(bob) "

*wrote:

Nevermind about the caulk, I'm trying to follow the genealogy path
here.

Figure this one:

Married four times, divorced once.

Mormon?

Nope. I give you ten more try's to figure it out.

other wives died

Close enough...

First husband died in a car accident. (wife pregnant)

Second husband died in war over France. (wife pregnant)

Divorced the third husband.

Separated from the forth husband. No divorce. He died later.

Four children by the same mother.- Hide quoted text -

Figured. Answered above before coming to end of thread.
Life shorter in those days and grandfather outlived first 2 wives.

Posted to alt.home.repair

*wrote:

Nevermind about the caulk, I'm trying to follow the genealogy path
here.

Figure this one:

Married four times, divorced once.

Mormon?

Nope. I give you ten more try's to figure it out.

other wives died

Close enough...

First husband died in a car accident. (wife pregnant)

Second husband died in war over France. (wife pregnant)

Divorced the third husband.

Separated from the forth husband. No divorce. He died later.

Four children by the same mother.- Hide quoted text -

What do the pregnancies and children have to do with the question?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 21, 8:16*pm, gregz wrote:
DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Dec 21, 3:50 pm, "dadiOH" wrote:
DerbyDad03 wrote:
[...]

Greg- Hide quoted text -

I'll have to try to remove some 732 from glass. I know I've used it on
glass before (fish tanks) but I'm not sure if I ever tried to get it
off.

I can say that I've used it on wood, steel, foam, fiberglass and
plastic and it peels of off all of them with ease, yet seals and holds
wonderfully. (OK, some types of foam didn't hold so well and styrofoam
didn't hold at all.) Works great to bond sandable foam to fiberglass.

You might try some lighter fluid (like for cigarette lighters, not
charcoal) next time. I use lighter fluid to remove labels and
adhesives from most surfaces. If I have trouble getting the 732 off
glass, I'll try lighter fluid to loosen it up.

My best use of 732:

My wife had an old mini van with a leak at the top of the windshield.
We took it to a auto glass shop and they said there was too much rust
on the frame behind the windshield to seal it properly. They suggested
going to a body shop to have the body repaired and then have them seal
the windshield.

I took the van home and put a bead of clear 732 in the seam where the
top of the windshield met the body. She drove the van for 3 more years
without any further leaks. Western NY with lots of rain, snow and salt.
Posted to alt.home.repair

I had some old Silicone which needed puncturing. It was chaulky and never
dried. Apparently the mixture separated as the first thing that came out of
the puncture was a yellow oil.

- = -
http://www.panix.com/~vjp2/vasos.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

CUrious, do you prefer SIlicone on the roof to the butyl flashing compound?

(My engineer uncle agrees with you but he is to introverted to explain)

- = -
http://www.panix.com/~vjp2/vasos.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

Oren wrote:

Figure this one:

Married four times, divorced once.

Still married, two wives died while married.
--
When a cat sits in a human's lap both the human and the cat are usually
happy. The human is happy because he thinks the cat is sitting on him/her

problems with silicone caulk Fletch Home Repair 27 October 6th 09 02:06 AM
Help! Help! Silicone caulk Ivan Vegvary Home Repair 13 September 22nd 07 01:08 PM
silicone caulk Patt Home Repair 3 June 26th 06 03:26 PM
silicone caulk MKnott Home Repair 1 November 23rd 05 12:32 AM
What is silicone caulk made out of? PipeDown Home Repair 1 June 14th 05 07:14 AM