Posted to alt.home.repair
Patt

Default silicone caulk

I know to use de-natured alcohol to clean a tub prior to re-caulking with
silicone. But I read that you should use the de-natured alcohol to smooth
the bead after applying the caulk. Is that better than using water on your
finger?
Patt

Posted to alt.home.repair
RayV

Patt wrote:
I know to use de-natured alcohol to clean a tub prior to re-caulking with
silicone. But I read that you should use the de-natured alcohol to smooth
the bead after applying the caulk. Is that better than using water on your
finger?
Patt

For smoothing caulk I use white vinegar for silicone and water for
latex based.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Stubby

I don't know but after many attempts to use silicone caulk, I found that
masking tape on both sides of the bead is the only way to get a really
nice job.