Posted to alt.home.repair
gregz gregz is offline

Default Silicone caulk

"dadiOH" wrote:
Will new silicone stick to old silicone? I think not but thought I'd ask.

My ex-father in law put a glass block window in one of the showers in the
house my wife inherited recently. They aren't standard, mortar in blocks,
they are a kit using a plastic frame and thin (80mm +-) blocks which are
held together and in the frame with silicone and thin metal/plastic spacers
that fit into recesses on the block edges.

After the thing is put together, the joints are caulked with silicone and it
is here that ex-FIL messed up the most...I've seen smoother cobblestone
roads. I would like to cut off the worst of it and apply new, making it
smoother. Yay or nay?

It will stick pretty good, but you have to clean it first with degreaser.
Trouble is, I don't know what's compatibility among the different
silicones.

Silicone one should work with silicone one. That smelly stuff, I often wet
with alcohol to smooth it down, not spit. Pure alcohol also make a good
degreaser. The clean silicone tends to be slippery, and after cleaning is
not.

Do a test first!!!

Greg