Posted to alt.home.repair
dadiOH[_3_] dadiOH[_3_] is offline

Default Silicone caulk

gregz wrote:
"dadiOH" wrote:
Will new silicone stick to old silicone? I think not but thought
I'd ask.

My ex-father in law put a glass block window in one of the showers
in the house my wife inherited recently. They aren't standard,
mortar in blocks, they are a kit using a plastic frame and thin
(80mm +-) blocks which are held together and in the frame with
silicone and thin metal/plastic spacers that fit into recesses on
the block edges.

After the thing is put together, the joints are caulked with
silicone and it is here that ex-FIL messed up the most...I've seen
smoother cobblestone roads. I would like to cut off the worst of it
and apply new, making it smoother. Yay or nay?

It will stick pretty good, but you have to clean it first with
degreaser. Trouble is, I don't know what's compatibility among the
different silicones.

Silicone one should work with silicone one. That smelly stuff, I
often wet with alcohol to smooth it down, not spit. Pure alcohol also
make a good degreaser. The clean silicone tends to be slippery, and
after cleaning is not.

Do a test first!!!

I absolutively will. All I really want is for it to bond (to the old
silicone) well enough so that casual cleaning won't pull it off.

--

dadiOH

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...