Posted to alt.home.repair
DerbyDad03 DerbyDad03 is offline

Default Silicone caulk

On Dec 21, 8:16*pm, gregz wrote:
DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Dec 21, 3:50 pm, "dadiOH" wrote:
DerbyDad03 wrote:
Nevermind about the caulk, I'm trying to follow the genealogy path
here.

The house was inherited by your wife and the work was done by your ex-
father in law.

That can't be your wife's father because if she's still your wife, he
wouldn't be an ex.

So was your ex-FIL just a guy who worked on the house that your wife
inherited from someone else?

Or if she's actually your ex-wife, why are you worried about the caulk
in her bathroom? *;-)

Color me curious.

Hi, Curious...

Ex-FIL was a jerk who married wife's mother. *His #5, her #3. *Wife's mother
died, so he is now an ex. *Out of the picture totally, thanks be.

--

dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...
Get it athttp://mysite.verizon.net/xico-Hide quoted text -

Probably wouldn't have figured that one out! ;-)

BTW I'd think the old silicon would peel off fairly easily.

At least the Dow 732 silicon that I like to use does.

Holds like crazy but pretty easy to get off of smooth surfaces
especially glass.

Silicone one, from my use, is very difficult to get off glass. It like
bonds. I was trying to take silicone off my windshield, had to use razor,
AND, my finger nails.

Greg- Hide quoted text -

I'll have to try to remove some 732 from glass. I know I've used it on
glass before (fish tanks) but I'm not sure if I ever tried to get it
off.

I can say that I've used it on wood, steel, foam, fiberglass and
plastic and it peels of off all of them with ease, yet seals and holds
wonderfully. (OK, some types of foam didn't hold so well and styrofoam
didn't hold at all.) Works great to bond sandable foam to fiberglass.

You might try some lighter fluid (like for cigarette lighters, not
charcoal) next time. I use lighter fluid to remove labels and
adhesives from most surfaces. If I have trouble getting the 732 off
glass, I'll try lighter fluid to loosen it up.

My best use of 732:

My wife had an old mini van with a leak at the top of the windshield.
We took it to a auto glass shop and they said there was too much rust
on the frame behind the windshield to seal it properly. They suggested
going to a body shop to have the body repaired and then have them seal
the windshield.

I took the van home and put a bead of clear 732 in the seam where the
top of the windshield met the body. She drove the van for 3 more years
without any further leaks. Western NY with lots of rain, snow and salt.