Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Flex-Seal As Seen On TV

Has anyone used the Flex-seal product I have seen advertised on TV? If
so, is it any good? I have some leaky ducts and they show it works for
that.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 25, 5:19*pm, Chuck wrote:
Has anyone used the Flex-seal product I have seen advertised on TV? If
so, is it any good? I have some leaky ducts and they show it works for
that.

Heating/cooling ducts? Use something similar to this like the pro's
do:

3M Foil Duct Sealing Tape

http://www.acehardware.com/product/i...ductId=3579785

I'm pretty sure that the HVAC installation pro's aren't spraying any
"as seen on TV" products on their duct work.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/25/2011 9:51 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Nov 25, 5:19 pm, wrote:
Has anyone used the Flex-seal product I have seen advertised on TV? If
so, is it any good? I have some leaky ducts and they show it works for
that.

Heating/cooling ducts? Use something similar to this like the pro's
do:

3M Foil Duct Sealing Tape

http://www.acehardware.com/product/i...ductId=3579785

I'm pretty sure that the HVAC installation pro's aren't spraying any
"as seen on TV" products on their duct work.

Sorry, I meant gutters. Not ducts.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 25, 5:19 pm, wrote:
Has anyone used the Flex-seal product I have seen advertised on TV? If
so, is it any good? I have some leaky ducts and they show it works for
that.

Heating/cooling ducts? Use something similar to this like the pro's
do:

3M Foil Duct Sealing Tape

http://www.acehardware.com/product/i...ductId=3579785

I'm pretty sure that the HVAC installation pro's aren't spraying any
"as seen on TV" products on their duct work.

Sorry, I meant gutters. Not ducts.

It sounds like you got your mind in the gutter!!!

And what the hell is Flex-Seal? Probably just an expensive form of
duct tape, which was originally designed to SEAL DUCTS.

Sober up and start this thread over. You screwed this one up to bad
to save it. Next time include a web link so we can know what
Flex-Seal is..... Not all of us waste our lives watching commercials
on tv.

PS. The proper repair item for gutters is called Butyl Caulking.
Solder also works on galvanized steel gutters.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/25/2011 5:19 PM, Chuck wrote:
Has anyone used the Flex-seal product I have seen advertised on TV? If
so, is it any good? I have some leaky ducts and they show it works for
that.

Do you mean this stuff?

https://www.getflexseal.com/?tag=im|sm|go|tm&a_aid=011&a_bid=a4cc8494

I wondered the same thing myself. I have four leaks at gutter joints
where gutter sealant just doesn't work any more. And wouldn't you know
it, three are right over doorways ... LOL

The hip roof design on this long low ranch has over 200' of gutter
wrapping completely around the house. Continuous guttering would be nice
but not cheap.

I wonder if a heat gun would remove the old sealant so I could clean the
joints and do the job right?

John

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 25 Nov 2011 17:19:14 -0500, Chuck wrote:

Has anyone used the Flex-seal product I have seen advertised on TV? If
so, is it any good? I have some leaky ducts and they show it works for
that.

I'm curious how many cans of the stuff they used to do the bottom of that
boat in the commercial :-) (also noticed that the ad says 24 weeks for
delivery - holy cow!)

Wouldn't trust it myself, just because it had been advertised on TV.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Jules Richardson wrote in
:

On Fri, 25 Nov 2011 17:19:14 -0500, Chuck wrote:

Has anyone used the Flex-seal product I have seen advertised on TV?
If so, is it any good? I have some leaky ducts and they show it works
for that.

I'm curious how many cans of the stuff they used to do the bottom of
that boat in the commercial :-) (also noticed that the ad says 24
weeks for delivery - holy cow!)

Please allow 2-4 weeks for delivery.

Wouldn't trust it myself, just because it had been advertised on TV.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Chuck wrote in :

Has anyone used the Flex-seal product I have seen advertised on TV? If
so, is it any good? I have some leaky ducts and they show it works for
that.

"As Seen on TV" is a warning label.

Off the cuff thought and never actually tried it but line the trough
with Vycor. Continuous rolls in various widths and it's sticky sticky.
Only problem I can think of it's not meant to be constantly exposed to
UV.

http://www.na.graceconstruction.com/...24_Guide-B.pdf
Posted to alt.home.repair

"DerbyDad03" wrote in message
On Nov 25, 5:19 pm, Chuck wrote:
Has anyone used the Flex-seal product I have seen advertised on TV? If
so, is it any good? I have some leaky ducts and they show it works for
that.

Heating/cooling ducts? Use something similar to this like the pro's
do:

3M Foil Duct Sealing Tape

http://www.acehardware.com/product/i...ductId=3579785

I'm pretty sure that the HVAC installation pro's aren't spraying any
"as seen on TV" products on their duct work.

reply:

That tape is some of the toughest stuff I have ever seen once it is stuck on
to something.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair
jim jim is offline

On Nov 25, 5:19 pm, Chuck wrote:

Has anyone used the Flex-seal product I have seen advertised on TV? If
so, is it any good? I have some leaky ducts and they show it works for
that.

Heating/cooling ducts? Use something similar to this like the pro's
do:

3M Foil Duct Sealing Tape

http://www.acehardware.com/product/i...ductId=3579785

I'm pretty sure that the HVAC installation pro's aren't spraying any
"as seen on TV" products on their duct work.

reply:

That tape is some of the toughest stuff I have ever seen once it is stuck on
to something.

Steve

The link is for Aluminium Joint tape and I always use that on joints
of ducts as it is 100 percent better then Duct tape which is for lazy
men to use stead of nails or screws . The gutter product you talk of
is crazy glue in an aerosal and can work just as stop gap mesure .

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 25, 5:19 pm, Chuck wrote:

[...]

I'd like to see the math for that computation. ;-)
Posted to alt.home.repair

jim wrote in
:

... On Nov 25, 5:19 pm, Chuck wrote:

[...]

Jim, you ignorant slut!

:-)
Posted to alt.home.repair

I got suckered in. First can for 19.99 plus 9.99 shipping, the next
can free plus 9.99 shipping.

Wrong. 39.98 for the first can. They claim I ordered the 'Jumbo' size
cans. I received 14 ounce cans. I wonder how big the normal cans are.
That was not an option. Any refund? Nope. 50 bucks for 2 cans ****es
me off big time. Customer service was as good as 'Peggy'.

I did not yet use the stuff and probably never will. If flunked the
test my local TV station did on it. WNEP.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/28/2011 11:17 AM, Thomas wrote:
I got suckered in. First can for 19.99 plus 9.99 shipping, the next
can free plus 9.99 shipping.

Wrong. 39.98 for the first can. They claim I ordered the 'Jumbo' size
cans. I received 14 ounce cans. I wonder how big the normal cans are.
That was not an option. Any refund? Nope. 50 bucks for 2 cans ****es
me off big time. Customer service was as good as 'Peggy'.

I did not yet use the stuff and probably never will. If flunked the
test my local TV station did on it. WNEP.

Thanks for the reply. I will not be ordering any...
Posted to alt.home.repair
N8N N8N is offline

On Nov 25, 5:19 pm, Chuck wrote:

Has anyone used the Flex-seal product I have seen advertised on TV? If
so, is it any good? I have some leaky ducts and they show it works for
that.

Heating/cooling ducts? Use something similar to this like the pro's
do:

3M Foil Duct Sealing Tape

http://www.acehardware.com/product/i...ductId=3579785

I'm pretty sure that the HVAC installation pro's aren't spraying any
"as seen on TV" products on their duct work.

reply:

That tape is some of the toughest stuff I have ever seen once it is stuck on
to something.

Steve

Yes, last time I had a pro HVAC guy do anything, all joints were
sealed with either foil tape or else clear silicone. I've also seen
some grey mastic-like stuff used. I've never seen a pro use what we
commonly call "duct tape" for anything.

nate

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 25, 5:19 pm, Chuck wrote:

[...]

nate- Hide quoted text -

After my furnace/AC unit was installed a few years ago, I could feel a
few spots in the corners where air was leaking out.

I sealed every seam with the foil tape and eliminated all air leakage.

Somewhere on my list of things I really should do is to seal all of
the exposed ducts in the basement but the basement is cold in the
winter as it is. Since I typically shower and get dressed in the
basement and that's where my shop and laundry room is, if I seal the
ducts and it gets colder, I'll just buy a heater to make up for the
difference. It's tolerable now, but any colder and I'd want to heat
it. Any savings from sealing the ducts would be eaten up with an
electric heater.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Of course, you can always put a vent in one of the lines.
Close the vent when not occupied.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"DerbyDad03" wrote in message

Somewhere on my list of things I really should do is to seal
all of
the exposed ducts in the basement but the basement is cold
in the
winter as it is. Since I typically shower and get dressed in
the
basement and that's where my shop and laundry room is, if I
seal the
ducts and it gets colder, I'll just buy a heater to make up
for the
difference. It's tolerable now, but any colder and I'd want
to heat
it. Any savings from sealing the ducts would be eaten up
with an
electric heater.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Red Green wrote:
jim wrote in
:

... On Nov 25, 5:19 pm, Chuck wrote:

[...]

Got my duct tape at the home depot. I love this plastic tape. I have
multiple uses. Sticks better than metal tape. About as sticky as tyvec
tape. I also seam seal foam sheeting. I have covered up some asbestos
sealing in particles.

http://www.berryplasticsbpg.com/prod...?page=flex-fix

Greg
Posted to alt.home.repair

Chuck wrote:
Has anyone used the Flex-seal product I have seen advertised on TV? If
so, is it any good? I have some leaky ducts and they show it works for that.

What kind of duct?

I have only used auto undercoating spray. Turns to dust rapidly.

Greg

Posted to alt.home.repair

Glad something works. I just bought some gorilla tape, have
to start a thread about that.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"gregz" wrote in message

Got my duct tape at the home depot. I love this plastic
tape. I have
multiple uses. Sticks better than metal tape. About as
sticky as tyvec
tape. I also seam seal foam sheeting. I have covered up some
asbestos
sealing in particles.

http://www.berryplasticsbpg.com/prod...?page=flex-fix

Greg

Posted to alt.home.repair

How long do you spend needing heat? If it's
only a couple minutes here or there, the space
heater might be the ticket. Ceramic element
heater "black box" with fan forced, is what
I'd choose. Hot shower puts out steam heat.

Oil radiator, takes too long to heat the room.

Of course, you can always put a vent in one
of the lines. [change to: heat ducts]

Close the vent when not occupied.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"DerbyDad03" wrote in message

Somewhere on my list of things I really should
do is to seal all of the exposed ducts in the
basement but the basement is cold in the winter
as it is. Since I typically shower and get dressed
in the basement and that's where my shop and
laundry room is, if I seal the ducts and it gets
colder, I'll just buy a heater to make up for the
difference. It's tolerable now, but any colder
and I'd want to heat it. Any savings from sealing
the ducts would be eaten up with an electric
heater.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in
:

How long do you spend needing heat? If it's
only a couple minutes here or there, the space
heater might be the ticket. Ceramic element
heater "black box" with fan forced, is what
I'd choose. Hot shower puts out steam heat.

Oil radiator, takes too long to heat the room.

Of course, you can always put a vent in one
of the lines. [change to: heat ducts]

Close the vent when not occupied.

Tssk... Get yourself a nice bathtub, and you can soak in it
even when it is freezing cold.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 25, 5:19 pm, Chuck wrote:

[...]

I've sat in some really, really cold work environments with a simple
glowing heater and it was a lot more comfortable than trying to fill
the place with hot air. A GLOWING heater always provides more
comfortable heat in a cold environment than hot air does, right?
Plus, only turn on when you need it, not all the time, seems there
would have to be a savings, plus comfort factor would go up a bit.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 25, 5:19*pm, Chuck wrote:
Has anyone used the Flex-seal product I have seen advertised on TV? If
so, is it any good? I have some leaky ducts and they show it works for
that.

You can get the same product from Home Depot or Lowes as "spray on
truck bed liner" for about $8 a can.

Flex Seal? Curt M. Home Repair 6 August 27th 11 10:28 PM
Bulb Seal/Bubble Seal/O-Seal John Whitworth[_5_] UK diy 3 July 24th 11 02:33 PM
Wire Flex or Aluminum Flex for Heater Duct Tube Audio Home Repair 0 May 28th 08 05:19 PM
To (re)seal or not to (re)seal granite counter tops? blueman Home Repair 11 July 31st 06 04:44 PM
short runs of flex hose vs hvac aluminum flex vs pvc pipe for DC ductwork [email protected] Woodworking 4 December 15th 04 03:43 AM