Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Flex Seal?

Looking for a product like Flex Seal. Read some bad reviews about how they
do business, but the product is supposedly good.

What I have is, a front door with a side light on each side. The panels are
metal, and because (ok don't yell at me!) of neglect, one panel is starting
to rust. The problem is, on the exterior, from the factory, they have a
piece of moulding at the bottom. Some years ago I caulked it, but haven't
kept an eye on it. The caulking has cracked, the wood on the metal panel
needs replaced, but I feel the need to treat the base of the panel with
something so no further rust will occur. Maybe slap a new piece of treated
lumber on the metal by caulking into place to hide the area after applying
a rubberized paint. Really don't want to buy a gallon of stuff, which would
be go to waste.

Since replacing a new entry door with sidelights is out of the question,
ideas appreciated.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Curt M." wrote in message ...
[...]

We keep our boat dock wood from rotting and the steel posts from rusting by spraying mineral oil on them a couple times a year.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Curt M." wrote in message
[...]

I would not use treated wood in contact with any metal that is not
galvanized,.

You can buy Rusteolum in as small as a pint, a half pint maybe.

Prime your replacement piece on all sides, two coats preferably with oil
based primer and then paint it all around before you glue it into place.

You should get a good life from it that way.

--
Colbyt

Posted to alt.home.repair

Curt M. wrote:
[...]

Step #1 - regardless of what else you do - is to get rid of the rust to bare
metal, then prime/paint to prevent further rusting. Check auto body supply
places for materials.

--

dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

Posted to alt.home.repair

Ted wrote:
"Curt M." wrote in message
[...]

Doesn't that make the dock slippery as hell?

Posted to alt.home.repair

Bob F wrote the following:
Ted wrote:
"Curt M." wrote in message
[...]

Yes, until the oil seeps into the wood.
I've put motor oil on treated wood. It works as good as any water sealer
and lasts longer.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
Posted to alt.home.repair

willshak wrote:
Bob F wrote the following:
Ted wrote:
"Curt M." wrote in message
[...]

I use "shake oil" from chevron on my cedar gutters. It soaks in, but doesn't
dry, so the wood can still breath. That way, supposedly the wood can dry,
preventing rot. If you seal the surface, the gutters rot. According to the
source I found this in, drying oils, like linseed oil will not work with the
gutters.