Posted to alt.home.repair
Bob F Bob F is offline

Default Flex Seal?

willshak wrote:
Bob F wrote the following:
Ted wrote:
"Curt M." wrote in message
Looking for a product like Flex Seal. Read some bad reviews about
how they do business, but the product is supposedly good. What I
have is, a front door with a side light on each side. The
panels are metal, and because (ok don't yell at me!) of neglect,
one panel is starting to rust. The problem is, on the exterior, from
the factory, they have a piece of moulding at the bottom. Some
years ago I caulked it, but haven't kept an eye on it. The caulking has
cracked, the wood on the metal panel needs replaced, but I feel the
need to treat the base of the panel with something so no further
rust will occur. Maybe slap a new piece of treated lumber on the
metal by caulking into place to hide the area after applying a
rubberized paint. Really don't want to buy a gallon of stuff, which
would be go to waste. Since replacing a new entry door with
sidelights is out of the
question, ideas appreciated.
We keep our boat dock wood from rotting and the steel posts from
rusting by spraying mineral oil on them a couple times a year.

Doesn't that make the dock slippery as hell?

Yes, until the oil seeps into the wood.
I've put motor oil on treated wood. It works as good as any water
sealer and lasts longer.

I use "shake oil" from chevron on my cedar gutters. It soaks in, but doesn't
dry, so the wood can still breath. That way, supposedly the wood can dry,
preventing rot. If you seal the surface, the gutters rot. According to the
source I found this in, drying oils, like linseed oil will not work with the
gutters.