Posted to alt.home.repair

Default OT Paying by credit card over the phone

My niece needs some auto parts. I called Advanced Auto Parts. They
need the money before they can order the parts from the factory
(Ford). Cool........I have a 15k limit on my card. Ready for my card
number? Well we have to have you come down here and bring the card to
order it.
What?
Well.......this is a part that comes from the dealer. We have to get
you to come in to pay for it.

I can only guess they suspect foul play. Anyone else get turned down
for trying to order over the phone?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 8, 7:03*pm, Metspitzer wrote:
My niece needs some auto parts. *I called Advanced Auto Parts. *They
need the money before they can order the parts from the factory
(Ford). *Cool........I have a 15k limit on my card. *Ready for my card
number? *Well we have to have you come down here and bring the card to
order it.
What?
Well.......this is a part that comes from the dealer. *We have to get
you to come in to pay for it.

I can only guess they suspect foul play. *Anyone else get turned down
for trying to order over the phone?

LOL...

@Metspitzer:

Ask any one of your friends who might run a business where the public
purchases things from them that accepts a credit card as payment...

Transactions which are non-swiped cost the business double what
swiped transactions cost... 2% of the transaction total vs 4%...

Apparently the Auto Parts store didn't want to pay 4% of the total
sale on a special order...

With retail business being sluggish, every penny adds up...

This is why some businesses still take imprints of the credit cards,
it proves the card was present at the time of sale...

~~ Evan
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/8/2011 7:03 PM, Metspitzer wrote:
My niece needs some auto parts. I called Advanced Auto Parts. They
need the money before they can order the parts from the factory
(Ford). Cool........I have a 15k limit on my card. Ready for my card
number? Well we have to have you come down here and bring the card to
order it.
What?
Well.......this is a part that comes from the dealer. We have to get
you to come in to pay for it.

I can only guess they suspect foul play. Anyone else get turned down
for trying to order over the phone?

If they have to order it from the dealer, why are you dealing with them?
Or not ordering it online yourself, if you know the part numbers? No
disrespect to Advance and the other FLAPS, but that is not where to buy
serious parts, it is where to buy wiper blades and cheaper generics for
non-critical systems where the part isn't model-specific.

But to answer your question, yeah- they wanna make sure you at least
have the card, and aren't just scamming for resellable parts using
somebody else's CC number. They also don't trust their own employees
that much- with a card in hand, they have a virtual paper trail. I don't
recall using a CC over the phone in years, other than to confirm a hotel
room.

--
aem sends...
Posted to alt.home.repair

Metspitzer wrote:

My niece needs some auto parts. I called Advanced Auto Parts.
They need the money before they can order the parts from the
factory (Ford).

Tell then that if they don't take your order over the phone, that you'll
simply take your business to the parts counter of the closest Ford
dealership.

Which I would guess would sell you that same part for less than what
Advance is quoting, given that Advance has to buy it from a Ford dealer
(or a Ford parts depot) and will apply their own mark-up to the price.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Home Guy wrote in :

Metspitzer wrote:

My niece needs some auto parts. I called Advanced Auto Parts.
They need the money before they can order the parts from the
factory (Ford).

Tell then that if they don't take your order over the phone, that you'll
simply take your business to the parts counter of the closest Ford
dealership.

Which I would guess would sell you that same part for less than what
Advance is quoting, given that Advance has to buy it from a Ford dealer
(or a Ford parts depot) and will apply their own mark-up to the price.

The trade gets about 20% off consumer-retail for OE auto parts. They add
that back when they sell to the consumer, so your buy price at Advance will
likely be pretty close to what you would pay at the dealer. Unless that
particular Advance store is clueless and jacks the price to the point where
consumers will notice...

--
Tegger

Posted to alt.home.repair

Metspitzer wrote in
news
My niece needs some auto parts. I called Advanced Auto Parts. They
need the money before they can order the parts from the factory
(Ford). Cool........I have a 15k limit on my card. Ready for my card
number? Well we have to have you come down here and bring the card to
order it.
What?
Well.......this is a part that comes from the dealer. We have to get
you to come in to pay for it.

I can only guess they suspect foul play. Anyone else get turned down
for trying to order over the phone?

Oh yeah. More and more places are refusing to take credit card orders by
phone. And fraud is the problem.

My wife works for a bank, and she has to attend all their fraud seminars.
Fraud is the primary reason the interest rate is so high on credit card
balances: Somebody's gotta pay for all that fraud.

--
Tegger
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 8 Nov 2011 16:28:33 -0800 (PST), Evan
wrote:

[...]

That is a very good reason.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 08 Nov 2011 19:30:52 -0500, aemeijers
wrote:

On 11/8/2011 7:03 PM, Metspitzer wrote:
My niece needs some auto parts. I called Advanced Auto Parts. They
need the money before they can order the parts from the factory
(Ford). Cool........I have a 15k limit on my card. Ready for my card
number? Well we have to have you come down here and bring the card to
order it.
What?
Well.......this is a part that comes from the dealer. We have to get
you to come in to pay for it.

I can only guess they suspect foul play. Anyone else get turned down
for trying to order over the phone?

If they have to order it from the dealer, why are you dealing with them?
Or not ordering it online yourself, if you know the part numbers? No

My sister started this transaction. My only part is supplying the
cash.

It turns out that even though I drove 25 miles or so to show them the
card they were not able to order the part.

disrespect to Advance and the other FLAPS, but that is not where to buy
serious parts, it is where to buy wiper blades and cheaper generics for
non-critical systems where the part isn't model-specific.

But to answer your question, yeah- they wanna make sure you at least
have the card, and aren't just scamming for resellable parts using
somebody else's CC number. They also don't trust their own employees
that much- with a card in hand, they have a virtual paper trail. I don't
recall using a CC over the phone in years, other than to confirm a hotel
room.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 9 Nov 2011 01:21:39 +0000 (UTC), Tegger
wrote:

Metspitzer wrote in
news
My niece needs some auto parts. I called Advanced Auto Parts. They
need the money before they can order the parts from the factory
(Ford). Cool........I have a 15k limit on my card. Ready for my card
number? Well we have to have you come down here and bring the card to
order it.
What?
Well.......this is a part that comes from the dealer. We have to get
you to come in to pay for it.

I can only guess they suspect foul play. Anyone else get turned down
for trying to order over the phone?

Oh yeah. More and more places are refusing to take credit card orders by
phone. And fraud is the problem.

My wife works for a bank, and she has to attend all their fraud seminars.
Fraud is the primary reason the interest rate is so high on credit card
balances: Somebody's gotta pay for all that fraud.

I can understand that fraud would be a problem for the bank but not
for the merchant. Ok maybe I can, but it still sucks.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Metspitzer wrote in
:

wrote:

My wife works for a bank, and she has to attend all their fraud
seminars. Fraud is the primary reason the interest rate is so high on
credit card balances: Somebody's gotta pay for all that fraud.

I can understand that fraud would be a problem for the bank but not
for the merchant. Ok maybe I can, but it still sucks.

The merchant still needs to pay his suppliers, usually in 30-days. Less if
he wants to take advantage of 2%-in-10 or other deals offered by the
supplier. Then he needs to wait to get reimbursed by the bank. This takes
time, and time affects cash-flow. Since most businesses only get to keep
about 5%-15% of their gross, late payments can be devastating, and failure
to manage cash-flow often results in bankruptcy, or at least loss of credit
with suppliers and a bad reputation.

Plus, this would need to be done one-by-one, for each instance of fraud.
The labor alone would be a killer.

So they're careful about who they allow to pay by phone.

Yes, it sucks.

--
Tegger

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/8/2011 16:28, Evan wrote:

This is why some businesses still take imprints of the credit cards,
it proves the card was present at the time of sale...

In the past ten years the only businesses I have had take credit card
imprints have been hotels. I use a secure or virtual account number to
guarantee the reservation, but they have never honored it at the desk
unless the reservation included prepayment.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 8, 7:03*pm, Metspitzer wrote:
My niece needs some auto parts. *I called Advanced Auto Parts. *They
need the money before they can order the parts from the factory
(Ford).

Then your next call should have been to the Ford dealer.

You can look up the part and price here, but the dealer parts guy
might give you the wholesale discount if they like you.
http://www.fordparts.com/
-----

- gpsman
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 9, 12:03*am, Bob wrote:
On 11/8/2011 16:28, Evan wrote:

This is why some businesses still take imprints of the credit cards,
it proves the card was present at the time of sale...

In the past ten years the only businesses I have had take credit card
imprints have been hotels. *I use a secure or virtual account number to
guarantee the reservation, but they have never honored it at the desk
unless the reservation included prepayment.

Sounds to me like you haven't dealt with a small enough business,
the big chain stores use electronic capture of signature of the
person using the card as well as store CCTV footage to document
who made the purchase rather than keeping a printed copy of
the receipt on file in the store for the required retention period...

Smaller stores still imprint the card, especially when the card
doesn't swipe and the numbers had to be punched in manually,
as the card is either swiped or imprinted to prove it was there
at the time of purchase... Smaller stores also still deal with
keeping extra copies of the receipts on file in case of a
charge back during the retention period...

LOL... Using a "secure" or "virtual" account number to do
anything where you have to reserve something is stupid,
as the virtual account number won't match your name
and address like the info on your actual real account will,
hotels tend to like knowing the real name of the person
reserving the room in case of a no show as they have
the information to send the bill -- this is why your attempts
at anonymous reservations with a credit card that didn't
match the name you reserved under were not honored
without payment of a deposit...

~~ Evan
Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Why no CC's in US with chip? (was: OT Paying by credit card over thephone)

Evan wrote:

the big chain stores use electronic capture of signature of the
person using the card as well as store CCTV footage

Smaller stores still imprint the card,

Here in Canada we've had a small chip on our credit cards for about 2
years now. About 75% of the retailers I go to (big box, grocery stores,
restaurants, etc) have chip-enabled readers where you slide in the card
and enter a 4-digit pin to complete the transaction. This replaces the
requirement to sign anything, and the cashier doesn't ask to see the
card (let alone take an imprint of it).

I believe that if 3 incorrect attempts are made to enter the PIN within
a short span of time that the card is automatically disabled.

At gas pumps here in Canada, when you slide in your credit card to pay
at the pump, we don't have to enter our zip-code (or postal code in our
case) to complete the transaction, which is something you have to do at
many pumps in the US (or at least in california).

At some pumps here, I don't even have to slide my card into a reader -
just wave it near a small panel on the pump marked with a "wavy" logo
that indicates some sort of RF transciever (this is NOT speed-pass).

I understand that Europe also has CC's with chip-and-pin.

But the US is being backwards about this by not introducing credit cards
with "chip-and-pin" technology. You should ask your banks and credit
card companies why they prefer to soak you with high fees and interest
rates as a way to pay for CC fraud rather than impliment technology to
reduce fraud.

LOL... Using a "secure" or "virtual" account number

I've never heard of the use of a secure or virtual account number. How
does that work? I assume by virtual account number you mean a
credit-card number that is different than the one embossed on your real
card. ?
Posted to alt.home.repair

Home Guy wrote:

But the US is being backwards about this by not introducing credit cards
with "chip-and-pin" technology. You should ask your banks and credit
card companies why they prefer to soak you with high fees and interest
rates as a way to pay for CC fraud rather than impliment technology to
reduce fraud.

Careful - your northern superiority complex is showing. Chip & Pin got a
foothold in Europe because of the poor and expensive phone systems that were in
place at the time. Credit card companies needed a secure and sure way of
validating a translation without having to make an expensive phone call.

Meanwhile, in the US ubiquitous and inexpensive local phone calls made it
possible to roll out cash registers, vending machines, gas pumps and cheap
validation terminals all across the country. The sheer number of terminals in
the US is several orders of magnitude larger than in Canada. The cost of
replacing all those terminals would ultimately be passed on to the consumer - an
expense the US isn't in a particular hurry to take on.

That said, Visa has announced plans to support Chip & Pin in the US for those
banks that want to issue those cards. They'll be available in a year or so.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Han Han is offline

Robert Neville wrote in
:

Home Guy wrote:

[...]

I liked the chip and pin in Europe. As I did the wireless portable
terminals they have, so my credit card never left my sight. IIRC, they
had them in a local Legal Sea Foods restaurant (Garden State Mall,
Paramus, NJ) now also.

--
Best regards
Han
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/9/2011 8:05 AM, Evan wrote:
On Nov 9, 12:03 am, wrote:
On 11/8/2011 16:28, Evan wrote:

[...]

Maybe something unique to where you travel? I haven't seen any small
merchants imprint cards for a really long time. Low end CC terminals
such as the popular Verifone vx-510 are inexpensive:

http://www.1nbcard.com/content/verif...h-printer.html

And even mobile business folks and businesses that set up say at shows
use terminals with embedded aircards like this:

http://www.1nbcard.com/content/credi...es.html?&sl=EN

Or swipe adapters for smartphones running a virtual terminal.

LOL... Using a "secure" or "virtual" account number to do
anything where you have to reserve something is stupid,
as the virtual account number won't match your name
and address like the info on your actual real account will,
hotels tend to like knowing the real name of the person
reserving the room in case of a no show as they have
the information to send the bill -- this is why your attempts
at anonymous reservations with a credit card that didn't
match the name you reserved under were not honored
without payment of a deposit...

~~ Evan

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/09/11 09:26 am, Han wrote:

I liked the chip and pin in Europe. As I did the wireless portable
terminals they have, so my credit card never left my sight. IIRC, they
had them in a local Legal Sea Foods restaurant (Garden State Mall,
Paramus, NJ) now also.

At a restaurant in Canada a few years back they entered our order into a
wireless terminal, then did the cc processing the same way.

I've also seen the wireless cc terminals used by itinerant vendors at
flea markets and the like.

Perce

Posted to alt.home.repair

gpsman wrote in news:5948e2bd-245d-4d3b-8158-
:

On Nov 8, 7:03*pm, Metspitzer wrote:
My niece needs some auto parts. *I called Advanced Auto Parts. *They
need the money before they can order the parts from the factory
(Ford).

Then your next call should have been to the Ford dealer.

You can look up the part and price here, but the dealer parts guy
might give you the wholesale discount if they like you.
http://www.fordparts.com/

I've found that dealerships generally won't give a consumer ANYthing off
retail unless he buys a lot of parts from them.

A consumer who buys a lot of parts may get 10% off, but I think would be
very unlikely to ever get more than that. Greater discounts are reserved
for the trade, which may get 15%-25% off, depending on their volume and
relationship with the dealer.

--
Tegger
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2011-11-09, Home Guy wrote:

with "chip-and-pin" technology. You should ask your banks and credit
card companies why they prefer to soak you with high fees and interest
rates as a way to pay for CC fraud rather than impliment technology to
reduce fraud.

The CC companies couldn't care less about fraud or making it safer for
the customer. The reason for "high fees and interests rates" seems
pretty self evident.

The whole industry is a rip-off and different states deal regulate it
--or not!-- it in different ways. CA initially issued universally
usable ATM cards. You could go into most any retail store and either
buy merchandise or request cash, money pulled directly from your
checking acct, with no involvement by the CC companies, whatsoever.
Unlike debit cards, where CC companies get a piece of the action.

I moved from CA to CO. The banks, here, claim no such practice has
ever existed anywhere. This I found hilarious, as the bank I was
trying to open an account at here in CO has also has branches in CA
that do exactly that. Whether or not CA still has usable-everywhere
ATM cards, I do not know, having moved 3 yrs ago.

nb

Posted to alt.home.repair

Evan wrote:
On Nov 8, 7:03 pm, wrote:
[...]

Hmmm,
I and wife have couple retail business established over the years after
we retired. It is not a franchise chain stores but we do well. We often
get orders from outside our city as far away as South of the border.
We eat the difference in card processing service charge. That is called
customer service. We only do this to known repeat customers who we
personally saw at least couple times. No, to total stranger first timer.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Robert Neville wrote:
Home wrote:

[...]

Hmm,
I'll say. Europe and SE Asia started using card chip and PIN almost 10
years ago. Small business still does not want to use POS machine which
handles chip and PIN processing. This machine costs more that old swipe
and sign one. Lazy Canucks are known to use most debit and CC in the
world at an extra cost(service charge). We seniors get break on that
part on our bank account.
Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

On 11/9/2011 8:34 AM, Tegger wrote:

I've found that dealerships generally won't give a consumer ANYthing off
retail unless he buys a lot of parts from them.

A consumer who buys a lot of parts may get 10% off, but I think would be
very unlikely to ever get more than that. Greater discounts are reserved
for the trade, which may get 15%-25% off, depending on their volume and
relationship with the dealer.

Well, one just walking in off the street, I'd not expect anything different.

OTOH, if one has established relationship w/ a dealership, one may have
a totally different experience.

We've dealt w/ a particular dealership here since trucks began to
replace wagons for farm use and anything needed is on account. Discount
from list varies some but is generally 20% although occasionally
negotiate a little on really major items (like the front transfer case
gearset last year ). Shop rates are fixed, though, unfortunately,
but they're entitled to make a living, too...

Posted to alt.home.repair

Robert Neville wrote:

But the US is being backwards about this by not introducing credit
cards with "chip-and-pin" technology.

Careful - your northern superiority complex is showing.

Careful - your southern ignorance is showing.

Go and read this:

http://www.bankrate.com/finance/cred...-coming-1.aspx

And then tell me where your crack-pot European "poor and expensive phone
system" theory factors into this story.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 9, 9:34*am, Tegger wrote:
gpsman wrote

You can look up the part and price here, but the dealer parts guy
might give you the wholesale discount if they like you.
http://www.fordparts.com/

I've found that dealerships generally won't give a consumer ANYthing off
retail unless he buys a lot of parts from them.

How'd you find that out?

A consumer who buys a lot of parts may get 10% off, but I think would be
very unlikely to ever get more than that. Greater discounts are reserved
for the trade, which may get 15%-25% off, depending on their volume and
relationship with the dealer.

I can only speak for my own experience.

I couldn't say exactly what percentage of discount I have enjoyed on
my measly 5 purchases (total ~$1000) from 2 (Ford) dealerships, but I
remember being really happy every time.
-----

- gpsman

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
"Percival P. Cassidy" wrote:

I've also seen the wireless cc terminals used by itinerant vendors at
flea markets and the like.

Perce

The Apple store does that here. And one of the carwashes has them
hanging off their belts.

Posted to alt.home.repair
SMS SMS is offline

On 11/9/2011 7:06 AM, notbob wrote:

I moved from CA to CO. The banks, here, claim no such practice has
ever existed anywhere. This I found hilarious, as the bank I was
trying to open an account at here in CO has also has branches in CA
that do exactly that. Whether or not CA still has usable-everywhere
ATM cards, I do not know, having moved 3 yrs ago.

You can still get an "ATM-only" card in California that does not have
the Visa or MC logo. That's what I always request (it's not the
default). These are usable for PIN based transactions at many merchants,
but it's not like the non-PIN based Visa/MC debit cards which you can
use at most places that take credit cards (with a few exceptions).

Banks used to have reward programs for PIN based transactions since they
charged the merchant a hefty fee and there was no payment to Visa or
Mastercard but now that those merchant fees are limited by law most
banks have dropped the rewards program.

These cards were never "usable-everywhere" they were limited to
merchants that were set up to accept ATM cards, mostly places like
supermarkets and drug stores.
Posted to alt.home.repair
EXT EXT is offline

wrote in message
On Wed, 09 Nov 2011 10:38:51 -0500, Home Guy wrote:

Robert Neville wrote:

But the US is being backwards about this by not introducing credit
cards with "chip-and-pin" technology.

Careful - your northern superiority complex is showing.

Careful - your southern ignorance is showing.

Go and read this:

http://www.bankrate.com/finance/cred...-coming-1.aspx

And then tell me where your crack-pot European "poor and expensive phone
system" theory factors into this story.

These are RFID chips that can be read by anyone standing near you and
if they watch you key in your PIN, you have been compromised.

We do have credit cards with RFID chips if you ask for them, you just wave
it close to the merchant's terminal, however, the chipped cards being
discussed have a gold contact patch on the face that must contact with the
merchant's terminal by inserting the card into a slot. Nearly all credit
cards are being changed over to this type with an auxiliary magnetic stripe
on the back. This is not a RF type of chip.

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

On 11/9/2011 1:00 PM, gpsman wrote:

I call ahead with my year, make, model and part number/s and always
have my poop in a group so I don't waste his possibly commissioned
sales time, and I get his/her name, and write it down, and I use it.

Then, because I have a local dealer background, I can use "industry
speak" and/or mention I worked with the local dealer king when we were
both "trotting the lot". Chances are decent, even.... 25 years
later... we know someone in common.

Again, I wasn't responding to you but to the tony...

I will say, however, it would be the most unusual dealership I ever saw
that gave the parts counterman leeway to decide which customer he's
giving which discount based on anything other than the account.

We have an account at dealerships of the varietals which use; I know
what to expect there. If for some reason it required something from
another I have no expectation would get anything except list even if I
were the Pope or the Prez or the counterman's brother unless the blanket
policy was such.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 9, 8:28*am, Home Guy wrote:
But the US is being backwards about this by not introducing credit cards
with "chip-and-pin" technology. *You should ask your banks and credit
card companies why they prefer to soak you with high fees and interest
rates as a way to pay for CC fraud rather than impliment technology to
reduce fraud.

If someone watches you punch in your PIN, then they steal your chip,
how's that any better?

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Ever heard of Internet?

Greg

disrespect to Advance and the other FLAPS, but that is not where to buy
serious parts, it is where to buy wiper blades and cheaper generics for
non-critical systems where the part isn't model-specific.

But to answer your question, yeah- they wanna make sure you at least
have the card, and aren't just scamming for resellable parts using
somebody else's CC number. They also don't trust their own employees
that much- with a card in hand, they have a virtual paper trail. I don't
recall using a CC over the phone in years, other than to confirm a hotel
room.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Han Han is offline

"EXT" wrote in
news.com:

Robert Neville wrote:

But the US is being backwards about this by not introducing
credit cards with "chip-and-pin" technology.

Careful - your northern superiority complex is showing.

Careful - your southern ignorance is showing.

Go and read this:

http://www.bankrate.com/finance/cred...d-pin-credit-c
ards-coming-1.aspx

And then tell me where your crack-pot European "poor and expensive
phone system" theory factors into this story.

These are RFID chips that can be read by anyone standing near you and
if they watch you key in your PIN, you have been compromised.

We do have credit cards with RFID chips if you ask for them, you just
wave it close to the merchant's terminal, however, the chipped cards
being discussed have a gold contact patch on the face that must
contact with the merchant's terminal by inserting the card into a
slot. Nearly all credit cards are being changed over to this type with
an auxiliary magnetic stripe on the back. This is not a RF type of
chip.

Indeed this is NOT an RFID chip. That is in the tap and go cards,
whatever there name is.
I've had a Dutch card like that for ages. Great in Europe. Here in the
US the mag stripe works fine.

--
Best regards
Han
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 9, 2:42*pm, dpb wrote:
On 11/9/2011 1:00 PM, gpsman wrote:
Chances are decent, even.... 25 years
later... we know someone in common.

Again, I wasn't responding to you but to the tony...

And I didn't respond to you but to Tegger. Maybe the GG interface is
in another of its sharting fits...

I will say, however, it would be the most unusual dealership I ever saw
that gave the parts counterman leeway to decide which customer he's
giving which discount based on anything other than the account.

We have an account at dealerships of the varietals which use; I know
what to expect there. *If for some reason it required something from
another I have no expectation would get anything except list even if I
were the Pope or the Prez or the counterman's brother unless the blanket
policy was such.

I don't know. I got a $700 windshield for $150 (from a glass shop,
not a dealer/'90 Geo Metro), ostensibly just by calling back the next
day and saying, "This is gpsman at gpsco". They didn't ask for a tax
ID or nuthin'.

Of course that was Montana, where there is no state sales tax... but I
routinely negotiate discounts from sale prices at stores like Macy's.

It's not hard. You just make an lesser offer and they rarely fail
come back with -some- additional discount, free delivery, warranty,
etc..

If they can, of course, and/or if they think they might be stuck
returning it to the distributor. It has to make sense to them. If
they let me walk I know I need to step up.
-----

- gpsman
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2011-11-09, SMS wrote:

but it's not like the non-PIN based Visa/MC debit cards which you can
use at most places that take credit cards (with a few exceptions).

Which is why I refused to use one. A CC card transaction can be
disputed. Not so a debit card.

These cards were never "usable-everywhere" they were limited to
merchants that were set up to accept ATM cards, mostly places like
supermarkets and drug stores.

I originally stated "almost" any/everywhere. In the 20 yrs I used
one, that was pretty much the case. I was almost never refused a
transaction by ATM card. That included restaurants, mini-marts, gas
stations, box stores, dept stores, etc. Most stores in a mall always
excepted ATM cards as payment, including Penny's, Sears, Macy's, etc.
Granted, cash-back was pretty much limited to large sprmkt chains, but
I could always get $100+. Also, any ATM machine, including other
banks, would honor any ATM card, for a flat fee.

Here in CO, an ATM card is good only at the issuing bank's branch ATM
machine, PERIOD, end of story. In short, they're useless for general
transactions. Commercial machines here in CO dispense cash only for
CCs.

nb
Posted to alt.home.repair

Home Guy wrote:

Go and read this:

http://www.bankrate.com/finance/cred...-coming-1.aspx

I did - and didn't see anything that contradicted what I posted. This statement
in particular was interesting:

"For American card issuers, the cost of implementing the new system may be
prohibitive, says Coleman."

And then tell me where your crack-pot European "poor and expensive phone
system" theory factors into this story.

I explained the origins of chip & pin and why it isn't generally available in
the US today. What exactly do you disagree with?.

Posted to alt.home.repair

SMS wrote:

You can still get an "ATM-only" card in California that does not have
the Visa or MC logo. That's what I always request (it's not the
default). These are usable for PIN based transactions at many merchants,
but it's not like the non-PIN based Visa/MC debit cards which you can
use at most places that take credit cards (with a few exceptions).

They are/were known as Visa Electron and Matercard Maestro cards. Unfortunately
my bank stopped offering them a few years ago. Also known as online only or PIN
based debit cards as they could not be used in offline signature mode.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2011-11-10, Robert Neville wrote:

They are/were known as Visa Electron and Matercard Maestro cards. Unfortunately
my bank stopped offering them a few years ago. Also known as online only or PIN
based debit cards as they could not be used in offline signature mode.

Horsecrap! They were known as "ATM" cards and were offered by every
bank as far back as the early 80s. Visa and MC were nowhere in the
picture. I used one for 20 yrs and never once succumbed to the debit
card rip-off, even long after they became the norm to clueless plastic
users in CA.

nb
Posted to alt.home.repair
Han Han is offline

wrote in
news
On Wed, 09 Nov 2011 18:02:06 -0700, Robert Neville
wrote:

Home Guy wrote:

Go and read this:

http://www.bankrate.com/finance/cred...d-pin-credit-c
ards-coming-1.aspx

I did - and didn't see anything that contradicted what I posted. This
statement in particular was interesting:

"For American card issuers, the cost of implementing the new system
may be prohibitive, says Coleman."

And then tell me where your crack-pot European "poor and expensive
phone system" theory factors into this story.

I explained the origins of chip & pin and why it isn't generally
available in the US today. What exactly do you disagree with?.

Why couldn't they just use a pin with the stripe card?
It works fine with debit cards.. What does the chip have to do with it
other than being slightly harder to duplicate?

I believe that some things like balance remaining/available get written
to the chip, so less info has to be transmitted over the data lines. The
whole chip thing was said (somewhere) to be much more secure and theft
proof.

--
Best regards
Han
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/9/2011 05:28, Home Guy wrote:

I've never heard of the use of a secure or virtual account number. How
does that work? I assume by virtual account number you mean a
credit-card number that is different than the one embossed on your real
card. ?

Some credit card issuers offer virtual account numbers on their web
sites. Features may vary, but it's a different number than the one on
your plastic card. It's good for only one merchant, and in some cases
you can specify a time and dollar limit. You can also cancel it early.
This came in handy for me when I used a virtual number to subscribe to
an online publication. Deep down in the terms and conditions was an
evergreen clause -- automatic renewal unless I cancelled. I chose not
to renew and forgot about it. When I was notified that "there is a
problem with your credit card" I simply ignored it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Home Guy wrote:

Go and read this:

http://www.bankrate.com/finance/cred...-coming-1.aspx

I did - and didn't see anything that contradicted what I posted. This statement
in particular was interesting:

"For American card issuers, the cost of implementing the new system may be
prohibitive, says Coleman."

And then tell me where your crack-pot European "poor and expensive phone
system" theory factors into this story.

I explained the origins of chip & pin and why it isn't generally available in
the US today. What exactly do you disagree with?.

Why couldn't they just use a pin with the stripe card?

Nothing, other than all CC terminals would need PIN entry capability. This
could be a problem with restaurants, for example.

It works fine with debit cards.. What does the chip have to do with it
other than being slightly harder to duplicate?

The chip allows off-line use, important for the early European market (20
years ago). As noted above, not so much in the US. The two systems started
apart, for good reason, and the cost to change either exceeds any benefit.