Posted to alt.home.repair
Bob[_37_] Bob[_37_] is offline

Default Why no CC's in US with chip?

On 11/9/2011 05:28, Home Guy wrote:

I've never heard of the use of a secure or virtual account number. How
does that work? I assume by virtual account number you mean a
credit-card number that is different than the one embossed on your real
card. ?

Some credit card issuers offer virtual account numbers on their web
sites. Features may vary, but it's a different number than the one on
your plastic card. It's good for only one merchant, and in some cases
you can specify a time and dollar limit. You can also cancel it early.
This came in handy for me when I used a virtual number to subscribe to
an online publication. Deep down in the terms and conditions was an
evergreen clause -- automatic renewal unless I cancelled. I chose not
to renew and forgot about it. When I was notified that "there is a
problem with your credit card" I simply ignored it.