Posted to alt.home.repair
gregz gregz is offline

Default OT Paying by credit card over the phone

Metspitzer wrote:
On Tue, 08 Nov 2011 19:30:52 -0500, aemeijers
wrote:

On 11/8/2011 7:03 PM, Metspitzer wrote:
My niece needs some auto parts. I called Advanced Auto Parts. They
need the money before they can order the parts from the factory
(Ford). Cool........I have a 15k limit on my card. Ready for my card
number? Well we have to have you come down here and bring the card to
order it.
What?
Well.......this is a part that comes from the dealer. We have to get
you to come in to pay for it.

I can only guess they suspect foul play. Anyone else get turned down
for trying to order over the phone?

If they have to order it from the dealer, why are you dealing with them?
Or not ordering it online yourself, if you know the part numbers? No

My sister started this transaction. My only part is supplying the
cash.

It turns out that even though I drove 25 miles or so to show them the
card they were not able to order the part.

Ever heard of Internet?

Greg

disrespect to Advance and the other FLAPS, but that is not where to buy
serious parts, it is where to buy wiper blades and cheaper generics for
non-critical systems where the part isn't model-specific.

But to answer your question, yeah- they wanna make sure you at least
have the card, and aren't just scamming for resellable parts using
somebody else's CC number. They also don't trust their own employees
that much- with a card in hand, they have a virtual paper trail. I don't
recall using a CC over the phone in years, other than to confirm a hotel
room.