Posted to alt.home.repair
EXT EXT is offline

Default Why no CC's in US with chip? (was: OT Paying by credit card over the phone)

wrote in message
On Wed, 09 Nov 2011 10:38:51 -0500, Home Guy wrote:

Robert Neville wrote:

But the US is being backwards about this by not introducing credit
cards with "chip-and-pin" technology.

Careful - your northern superiority complex is showing.

Careful - your southern ignorance is showing.

Go and read this:

http://www.bankrate.com/finance/cred...-coming-1.aspx

And then tell me where your crack-pot European "poor and expensive phone
system" theory factors into this story.

These are RFID chips that can be read by anyone standing near you and
if they watch you key in your PIN, you have been compromised.

We do have credit cards with RFID chips if you ask for them, you just wave
it close to the merchant's terminal, however, the chipped cards being
discussed have a gold contact patch on the face that must contact with the
merchant's terminal by inserting the card into a slot. Nearly all credit
cards are being changed over to this type with an auxiliary magnetic stripe
on the back. This is not a RF type of chip.