Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Recommendations for Generator install in seacoast NH area

I live outside of Portsmouth, NH and I've had it with losing power. Anyway I want to get an estimate on installing an 8k or 10k (not sure which)standby generator that fails over automatically. This may be too expensive, but why not start at the top.

I talked to the people that HD recommended and they wanted over 5k to install an 8k. Considering an 8k Generac is $2249 at HD, I thought the total was pretty extreme. Of course, this is the first call I made, so perhaps that is what they get.

If anybody has any good installer recommendations it would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Jim
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 1, 4:23*pm, jtpr wrote:
I live outside of Portsmouth, NH and I've had it with losing power. *Anyway I want to get an estimate on installing an 8k or 10k (not sure which)standby generator that fails over automatically. *This may be too expensive, but why not start at the top.

I talked to the people that HD recommended and they wanted over 5k to install an 8k. *Considering an 8k Generac is $2249 at HD, I thought the total was pretty extreme. *Of course, this is the first call I made, so perhaps that is what they get. *

If anybody has any good installer recommendations it would be appreciated..

Thanks,
Jim

@jtpr:

Right, so you think that the automatic transfer switch, the sub-panel
and all of the labor to deliver, setup a proper pad and run natural
gas lines to the new generator location and all of the rewiring should
be free ?

~~ Evan
Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

On Nov 1, 3:23*pm, jtpr wrote:
I live outside of Portsmouth, NH and I've had it with losing power. *Anyway I want to get an estimate on installing an 8k or 10k (not sure which)standby generator that fails over automatically. *This may be too expensive, but why not start at the top.

I talked to the people that HD recommended and they wanted over 5k to install an 8k. *Considering an 8k Generac is $2249 at HD, I thought the total was pretty extreme. *Of course, this is the first call I made, so perhaps that is what they get. *

If anybody has any good installer recommendations it would be appreciated..

Thanks,
Jim

Choosing your own installer is probably a better choice than the box
store workers. For one thing, you're only paying one contractor's
profit, not that plus the HD markup. Follow common sense rules as you
would in choosing any contractor; there are online guides for doing
so, Google it.

Joe
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/1/2011 3:04 PM, Joe wrote:
On Nov 1, 3:23 pm, wrote:
[...]

yes. also, it's the same as hiring any other contractor. ask your
neighbors, try angie's list, get multiple bids and ask them for
references, etc.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/1/2011 4:23 PM, jtpr wrote:
I live outside of Portsmouth, NH and I've had it with losing power. Anyway I want to get an estimate on installing an 8k or 10k (not sure which)standby generator that fails over automatically. This may be too expensive, but why not start at the top.

I talked to the people that HD recommended and they wanted over 5k to install an 8k. Considering an 8k Generac is $2249 at HD, I thought the total was pretty extreme. Of course, this is the first call I made, so perhaps that is what they get.

If anybody has any good installer recommendations it would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Jim

I feel your pain. Every time the wind blows the power goes out and to
make matters worse the average PoCo restoration time is 50 hrs. :-(

So, I had a Generac sales and service center (not Lowes Depot) install a
16kw Generac (natural gas) and a 200amp auto transfer switch for $5600
18 months ago. Expensive but worth every penny. Now my quarterly power
outages only last 30 seconds.

You might be able to save a $1,000 by eliminating the auto transfer
switch. If your existing electric panel will allow installing an
interlock breaker, the electrician can set the generator up as manual
start / manual transfer. Basically you'd flip a switch to start the
generator and then flip the interlock breaker to transfer the load to
the generator.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 1 Nov 2011 14:19:16 -0700 (PDT), Evan
wrote:

On Nov 1, 4:23*pm, jtpr wrote:
[...]

It certainly should not be free, but I know two people that paid about
half that. Do you think $5000 is a fair price? I don't.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
On Nov 1, 4:23 pm, jtpr wrote:
[...]

I would have to see the house where it was to be installed, the
selected
location for the gen-set and then figure out how many feet of
utilities
were involved before you can say "this should cost x-$$$ as you have
very little information to compare it to other than he wants an 8k or
10k
generator... His gas service might need to be upgraded, might be
digging longer trenches to feed generator -- just can't magically
compare
it all and tell from here... But labor and delivery for such a
project
including the wiring permit fee costing about as much as the generator
itself sounds like it is within reason...

Your mileage and level of wiring/building inspection and thus safety
may vary...

~~ Evan
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On Nov 1, 4:23 pm, wrote:
[...]

These numbers are approximate from memory

$2700 - 16kw ng generac

$1300 - 200 amp auto transfer switch,
new meter base, all new conduit and wire from meter
to entrance panel

$1200 - 8hrs plumber to rework existing and add new natural gas line
8hrs electrican

$600 - 6% MI sales tax, plumbing & electrical permit

If I felt ripped off by anything it was the cost of the plumbing and
electrical permits and the sales tax, of course.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"jtpr" wrote in message news:31450716.229.1320179000621.JavaMail.geo-discussion-forums@vbbdd1...
I live outside of Portsmouth, NH and I've had it with losing power. Anyway I want to get an estimate on installing an 8k or 10k (not sure which)standby generator that fails over automatically. This may be too expensive, but why not start at the top.

I talked to the people that HD recommended and they wanted over 5k to install an 8k. Considering an 8k Generac is $2249 at HD, I thought the total was pretty extreme. Of course, this is the first call I made, so perhaps that is what they get.

If anybody has any good installer recommendations it would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Jim

25 years ago my electric power seldom ever went out, maybe once every 5 years.
Today it goes out 2 or 3 times a year and they are multi-day outages each time.
I used to think of a generator as a luxury but now its a necessity, as do my neighbors.
Everyone has one now.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Evan,

I don't think I said anywhere I want something for free. I am merely asking if the charges quoted are in line with the norm.

This is a typical question one would ask when approaching something not familiar with them. I think you're a tad defensive.

-Jim

Posted to alt.home.repair

Yes, the switch is included with the generator cost I mentioned. I'm finding that an 8kw is ~$5,000 installed, and 10kw is ~$5700 installed. That is based on 2 quotes so far. The second one was more helpful in breaking down the costs. For example, he said the propane tank could run $1000. I always thought the company supplying the gas provided that as they did a loooong time ago growing up in NY.

Then the hook up, electrician, permits, etc. I can see how it can add up. I was thinking it was a matter of the store delivering it to where you want it and the electrician running the necessary wire to the box, maybe $1000 more.

You got a good deal on the 16kw.

Live and learn,
-Jim
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 2, 6:46*am, jtpr wrote:
Yes, the switch is included with the generator cost I mentioned. *I'm finding that an 8kw is ~$5,000 installed, and 10kw is ~$5700 installed. That is based on 2 quotes so far. *The second one was more helpful in breaking down the costs. *For example, he said the propane tank could run $1000. *I always thought the company supplying the gas provided that as they did a loooong time ago growing up in NY.

Then the hook up, electrician, permits, etc. *I can see how it can add up. *I was thinking it was a matter of the store delivering it to where you want it and the electrician running the necessary wire to the box, maybe $1000 more.

You got a good deal on the 16kw.

Live and learn,
-Jim

Here is my two cents. I'd buy a PORTABLE generator and have an inlet
and
Interlockit kit installed on the panel. You should be able to do
that for under
$1500. I don't think the expense and complexity of the automatic
gensets is
worth it unless you have a situation where no one will be available to
hook
up the generator and turn it on and that it's critical that it start
itself. You can
also get conversion kits for most generators to allow them to run on
natural
gas, which I think is the best option if nat gas is available.

I know a guy who had a $7K Generac automatic system that was 5 years
old and it failed after 4 hours during the August hurricane. Company
told him it was shot and not worth repairing. These systems are more
complex than the simple $400 portable generator you can buy and have
more failure points. And if the generator I recommended above fails,
you
could buy a whole new one for less than what it's going to cost to
fix the Genera if it fails.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/2/2011 3:46 AM, jtpr wrote:
Yes, the switch is included with the generator cost I mentioned. I'm finding that an 8kw is ~$5,000 installed, and 10kw is ~$5700 installed. That is based on 2 quotes so far. The second one was more helpful in breaking down the costs. For example, he said the propane tank could run $1000. I always thought the company supplying the gas provided that as they did a loooong time ago growing up in NY.

Then the hook up, electrician, permits, etc. I can see how it can add up. I was thinking it was a matter of the store delivering it to where you want it and the electrician running the necessary wire to the box, maybe $1000 more.

look into buying your tank. you can then get it filled by different
suppliers after shopping for current propane prices

You got a good deal on the 16kw.

Live and learn,
-Jim

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 2 Nov 2011 06:04:54 -0400, "Dave" wrote Re
Recommendations for Generator install in seacoast NH area:

25 years ago my electric power seldom ever went out, maybe once every 5 years.
Today it goes out 2 or 3 times a year and they are multi-day outages each time.
I used to think of a generator as a luxury but now its a necessity, as do my neighbors.
Everyone has one now.

And so the race to the bottom continues to accelerate.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/2/2011 5:41 PM, Caesar Romano wrote:
On Wed, 2 Nov 2011 06:04:54 -0400, wrote Re
Recommendations for Generator install in seacoast NH area:

25 years ago my electric power seldom ever went out, maybe once every 5 years.
Today it goes out 2 or 3 times a year and they are multi-day outages each time.
I used to think of a generator as a luxury but now its a necessity, as do my neighbors.
Everyone has one now.

And so the race to the bottom continues to accelerate.

LOL!

While it's true that the poco stocks are performing better,
unfortunately you'll need to use the dividends to buy a standby generator.

Posted to alt.home.repair

This price was given to me over the phone as a base price before anybody looked at anything. It reflected the simplest install.

Sorry, but over 3k for a days work plus materials (cable, propane tank, etc) is a LOT of money.

-Jim