Posted to alt.home.repair
Jake[_7_] Jake[_7_] is offline

Default Recommendations for Generator install in seacoast NH area

On 11/1/2011 8:02 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On Tue, 1 Nov 2011 14:19:16 -0700 (PDT), Evan
wrote:

On Nov 1, 4:23 pm, wrote:
I live outside of Portsmouth, NH and I've had it with losing power. Anyway I want to get an estimate on installing an 8k or 10k (not sure which)standby generator that fails over automatically. This may be too expensive, but why not start at the top.

I talked to the people that HD recommended and they wanted over 5k to install an 8k. Considering an 8k Generac is $2249 at HD, I thought the total was pretty extreme. Of course, this is the first call I made, so perhaps that is what they get.

If anybody has any good installer recommendations it would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Jim

@jtpr:

Right, so you think that the automatic transfer switch, the sub-panel
and all of the labor to deliver, setup a proper pad and run natural
gas lines to the new generator location and all of the rewiring should
be free ?

~~ Evan

It certainly should not be free, but I know two people that paid about
half that. Do you think $5000 is a fair price? I don't.

These numbers are approximate from memory

$2700 - 16kw ng generac

$1300 - 200 amp auto transfer switch,
new meter base, all new conduit and wire from meter
to entrance panel

$1200 - 8hrs plumber to rework existing and add new natural gas line
8hrs electrican

$600 - 6% MI sales tax, plumbing & electrical permit

If I felt ripped off by anything it was the cost of the plumbing and
electrical permits and the sales tax, of course.