Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Bathroom Heater Choices

I need to boost the heat in our bathroom because our forced air heating
system is set to 65-68 degF. The heater needs to run on 120V, so 1.5kW is
the limit.

Am i better off with an infrared heater such as this one:

http://tinyurl.com/3glupt3

or a ceiling fan heater such as this one:

http://tinyurl.com/44mohz6

or a plain vanilla wall mounted fan heater?

Any suggestions/experiences appreciated.

--
Pete
Posted to alt.home.repair

Pete wrote:

I need to boost the heat in our bathroom because our forced air heating
system is set to 65-68 degF. The heater needs to run on 120V, so 1.5kW is
the limit.

Am i better off with an infrared heater such as this one:

http://tinyurl.com/3glupt3

or a ceiling fan heater such as this one:

http://tinyurl.com/44mohz6

or a plain vanilla wall mounted fan heater?

Any suggestions/experiences appreciated.

Perhaps a large towel heater. http://www.runtalnorthamerica.com/ Not
inexpensive.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 29, 2:14*pm, Pete wrote:
I need to boost the heat in our bathroom because our forced air heating
system is set to 65-68 degF. The heater needs to run on 120V, so 1.5kW is
the limit.

Am i better off with an infrared heater such as this one:

http://tinyurl.com/3glupt3

or a ceiling fan heater such as this one:

http://tinyurl.com/44mohz6

or a plain vanilla wall mounted fan heater?

Any suggestions/experiences appreciated.

--
Pete

there are also floor heaters that go between concrete board and tile,
if you were thinking of retiling...

warm feet helps a lot

when single i kept the house under 60 to save energy.

my simple solution , turn shower on in bathroom set hot....close
bathroom door, bathroom now heats up fast

i would take my clothes off and drop them into the hamper, then return
to nice warm bathroom
Posted to alt.home.repair

Pete wrote:
I need to boost the heat in our bathroom because our forced air
heating system is set to 65-68 degF. The heater needs to run on 120V,
so 1.5kW is the limit.

Do you want to leave the heater running full time, as in you want the
bathroom to always be warmer than the rest of the house, or do you want to
use it for when you're taking a bath or shower?

For me, it is the latter, so a little wall mounted fan heater heats
*quickly* and distributes the heat for the best results.

Jon

Posted to alt.home.repair

Pete wrote:
I need to boost the heat in our bathroom because our forced air heating
system is set to 65-68 degF. The heater needs to run on 120V, so 1.5kW is
the limit.

Am i better off with an infrared heater such as this one:

http://tinyurl.com/3glupt3

or a ceiling fan heater such as this one:

http://tinyurl.com/44mohz6

or a plain vanilla wall mounted fan heater?

Any suggestions/experiences appreciated.

I like radiant heat. Heat lamps can also be used in proper receptacles.

Greg

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 29 Oct 2011 11:14:04 -0700, Pete wrote:

I need to boost the heat in our bathroom because our forced air heating
system is set to 65-68 degF. The heater needs to run on 120V, so 1.5kW is
the limit.

Am i better off with an infrared heater such as this one:

http://tinyurl.com/3glupt3

or a ceiling fan heater such as this one:

http://tinyurl.com/44mohz6

or a plain vanilla wall mounted fan heater?

Any suggestions/experiences appreciated.

Thanks all for the suggestions.

I only need the extra heat when using the shower or tub. There is already a
250W heat lamp, but it is useless because the ceiling is higher than
normal.

I'm leaning towards the 1500W ceiling-mounted infrared heater, for several
reasons:

1. It avoids the room warm-up time of a fan heater.
2. You don't have to close the door to keep the heat in.
3. There should be a lot less heat lost via the room's extractor fan
(expecially if a fan heater and extractor fan are in the same unit).
4. It has no moving parts to break down.

(1, 2 and 3 apply because infrared heaters mostly heat objects, not air)

On the other hand, I'm guessing:

1. The warmth from an infrared heater is a lot less uniform as you move
around the room.
2. Infrared heaters are less suitable for thermostatic control (again,
because they don't heat the air much).

Time for some experiments!

--
Pete
Posted to alt.home.repair

1. It avoids the room warm-up time of a fan heater.
2. You don't have to close the door to keep the heat in.
3. There should be a lot less heat lost via the room's extractor fan
(expecially if a fan heater and extractor fan are in the same unit).

do you keep the fan on when you are trying to stay warm?

maybe try turning it off?

Mark
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/29/2011 2:14 PM, Pete wrote:

I need to boost the heat in our bathroom because our forced air heating
system is set to 65-68 degF. The heater needs to run on 120V, so 1.5kW is
the limit.

Am i better off with an infrared heater such as this one:

http://tinyurl.com/3glupt3

or a ceiling fan heater such as this one:

http://tinyurl.com/44mohz6

or a plain vanilla wall mounted fan heater?

Any suggestions/experiences appreciated.

I had heat lamps and in a current remodel replaced them with a combo
fan, light, heater. I do like the new unit and while it has not been
too cold on testing it did heat the room quickly.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/29/2011 2:14 PM, Pete wrote:

I need to boost the heat in our bathroom because our forced air heating
system is set to 65-68 degF. The heater needs to run on 120V, so 1.5kW is
the limit.

Am i better off with an infrared heater such as this one:

http://tinyurl.com/3glupt3

or a ceiling fan heater such as this one:

http://tinyurl.com/44mohz6

or a plain vanilla wall mounted fan heater?

Any suggestions/experiences appreciated.

In my previous house, in the Chicago area, I had a wall mounted heater
in one bath (tub) and a vanity kick plate mounted heater in the other
(shower). Vanity kick plate unit was almost identical to this one:
http://www.amazon.com/Broan-Model-11.../dp/B0014ZME9K.
Google will find a ton of wall or baseboard mounts. These were great.
Only problem with the kick plate unit was standing in front of it while
it was running ... it was too hot. I should have mounted it to one side
or the other. In my new house I opted for ceiling mounted
heater/fan/light/nightlight above the shower and above the tub, in the
other bathroom as I needed the light. They work well, but they really
don't push the warm air all the way to the floor like the heaters in the
old house. The heat comes straight down, so it is very hot in the
shower/tub, but the rest of the room didn't get a lot of heat,
especially near the floor. I added a small metal diverter to push some
of the hot air to the other parts of the room, which makes the units
acceptable. Still, the floor area doesn't get a lot of warmth. I do
like the nightlight feature. I added a motion detector, instead of the
wall switch, which is pretty nice. Walk in, the night light turns on.
If I had to do it over, I'd probably go back to a wall mounted unit, or
a baseboard type unit, or the vanity kick plate (I have no vanity in
the shower room).
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 29, 7:51*pm, Pete wrote:
[...]

Pete- Hide quoted text -

I agree with your analysis. My experience with infrared is that
they are good for an AREA of the bathroom, say outside the
shower. If you sink happens to be nearby, then you'll get
benefit there too. So, I think the critical part is where you
need the heat and if the bathroom is layed out in such a
way that one IR can do it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Pete" wrote in message

I need to boost the heat in our bathroom because our forced air heating
system is set to 65-68 degF. The heater needs to run on 120V, so 1.5kW is
the limit.

Am i better off with an infrared heater such as this one:

http://tinyurl.com/3glupt3

or a ceiling fan heater such as this one:

http://tinyurl.com/44mohz6

or a plain vanilla wall mounted fan heater?

Any suggestions/experiences appreciated.

--
Pete

Go to Costco and look at the Presto dish. Just walking by one that was on
at Costco made me grab one. Inexpensive, too. 110v, and throws heat across
the room with no fan. An amazing heater for wherever.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

If you have a dryer in the bathroom, get a device called "more heat".
It goes in the exhaust line from the dryer and can be set to deflect
dryer heat into the bathroom. I got mine at Home Depot.

---MIKE---

In the White Mountains of New Hampshire
(44� 15' N - Elevation 1580')

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 29 Oct 2011 16:51:02 -0700, Pete wrote:

[...]

For completeness, I should add another advantage of infrared heaters:

5. They are silent.

--
Pete
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
Pointer wrote:
On 10/29/2011 2:14 PM, Pete wrote:

I need to boost the heat in our bathroom because our forced air heating
system is set to 65-68 degF. The heater needs to run on 120V, so 1.5kW is
the limit.

Am i better off with an infrared heater such as this one:

http://tinyurl.com/3glupt3

or a ceiling fan heater such as this one:

http://tinyurl.com/44mohz6

or a plain vanilla wall mounted fan heater?

Any suggestions/experiences appreciated.

I had heat lamps and in a current remodel replaced them with a combo
fan, light, heater. I do like the new unit and while it has not been
too cold on testing it did heat the room quickly.

Yeah, but you switched from radiant heat to hot air heating.

With radiant heat you can even open the window (in winter)
and still be toasty warm, whereas with the hot air -- that
can be full on, window closed, and you still feel cold and,
from breathing in that hot air, nauseaous.

Which is the nice thing about steam heat with clanking
radiators -- too bad they seem to be out of style!

David

Posted to alt.home.repair

When I was a kid back in the 50's, my parent's house
had gas heaters in the bathrooms.

Had to light them by hand. There'd be this blue
flame along the bottom, and then above that, some kind
of ceramic lattice parallel to the face of the tiled
wall, with little half-or-a-third inch cones (same ceramic
material) sticking out, that the heat from the gas flame
would slowly heat to reddish hot -- and I think it was
those things that radiated the heat out into the room.

That was a long time ago. I wonder if people still use
those things today.

(Those were the days when children weren't so protected
from everything. Concrete in playgrounds you could fall
onto (better not!), no rubber-like play-GROUNDS anywhere, and,
if you can believe it, all kids went out trick-or-treating
by themselves -- no parent would ever even think of coming
along!)

Hey -- back then, we even had something called "democracy"!

Not only that, but the constitution actually meant something!

Man, those were the days!

David

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
Steve B wrote:

"Pete" wrote in message
.. .

I need to boost the heat in our bathroom because our forced air heating
system is set to 65-68 degF. The heater needs to run on 120V, so 1.5kW is
the limit.

Am i better off with an infrared heater such as this one:

http://tinyurl.com/3glupt3

or a ceiling fan heater such as this one:

http://tinyurl.com/44mohz6

or a plain vanilla wall mounted fan heater?

Any suggestions/experiences appreciated.

--
Pete

Go to Costco and look at the Presto dish. Just walking by one that was on
at Costco made me grab one. Inexpensive, too. 110v, and throws heat across
the room with no fan. An amazing heater for wherever.

Steve

I bought one of those -- a "personal" heater -- put it across
the room, and it will throw a hot spot only two or three feet
wide.

One problem is that it's either on or off -- there's no way for
it to run at say 300 watts. Yeah, you can turn the dial, ie
an internal thermostat, and get an AVERAGE 300 watt usage, but
at any given time it's either off or on at 100% (well over 1000
watts).

Anyway, I found that I could not use for myself because that
beam of infared (from the electric coil being red hot, and
then being focused by the curved dish, like in a reflecting
telescope) heated the AIR in that narrow column of heat so
much that the relative humidity within the beam went to like zero,
which air dried out my nose so much that it hurt.

What I use it for now is in the garage on REALLY cold days,
and point it at a pipe that goes down the wall, to keep the
water in it from freezing and bursting the pipe (and causing
a later flood).

-------

Now, don't get me wrong. I like a "personal" heater -- like
an old Markel that workmen all used to use (still do?) --
turn it on low, when only the front bar (of coiled wire) turns
on (red), with the back bar and its fan off -- it uses only
300 watts, and placed maybe a yard away keeps you toasty warm.

------

Better yet is a personal fan -- one so designed that it throws
out a NARROW COLUMN of air clear across the room, hitting
you and maybe one other person. That's the wonder
VORNADO (voronado?) fan, designed by ex propeller designers.

Man, is that wonderful -- you can put it on a table across the
room, have it hit you in the face in bed, and have nothing between
it and you could hit or trip over in the night.

Costco sells those too. About $50 this last summer. Get one
or several -- you'll be glad you did!

David

Posted to alt.home.repair

(David Combs) wrote:

When I was a kid back in the 50's, my parent's house
had gas heaters in the bathrooms.

I inherited some in my current house (120 yrs old).

Had to light them by hand. There'd be this blue
flame along the bottom, and then above that, some kind
of ceramic lattice parallel to the face of the tiled
wall, with little half-or-a-third inch cones (same ceramic
material) sticking out, that the heat from the gas flame
would slowly heat to reddish hot -- and I think it was
those things that radiated the heat out into the room.

The problem was that they had no pilots. You just lit the gas with a
match; there was a little pop; and then the gas heated the ceramics
you described. I lost one to a bathroom renovation (something about
code -- who'd have thought! g) and the other I voluntarily moved to
the living room fireplace where it sits unconnected as a conversation
piece.

That was a long time ago. I wonder if people still use
those things today.

The modern unvented fire has a similar layout but with pilot and
oxygen sensor. I have a couple of those.

(Those were the days when children weren't so protected
from everything. Concrete in playgrounds you could fall
onto (better not!), no rubber-like play-GROUNDS anywhere, and,
if you can believe it, all kids went out trick-or-treating
by themselves -- no parent would ever even think of coming
along!)

I suppose every generation blames the following one so I will too: The
result of all this cosseting of the children is that we've raised a
bunch of wusses, afraid to do anything unless Mommy or the nanny state
tells them to. And they've been trained well at least on the face of
it. Happily the next generation (that's your grandkids) seem to have a
little spirit left although whether they can overcome the feminists,
the PC people, the chicken little-ers, etc. remains to be seen.

Posted to alt.home.repair

When we lived in Europe our bathrooms had heated tile floors.

That really is the ultimate. Cost prohibitive, I suppose, but it was
heaven to get up on a subzero morning and have your bare feet touch
that warm floor.

Of course it was on a timer. No way you'd waste heat on a bathroom
nobody was using at night. But it came on at 0500 in time to be
toasty for morning showers.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/29/2011 9:12 PM, David Combs wrote:
In ,
wrote:
[...]

We used to have an in-wall electric space heater with fan in one bath
and an under cabinet, kick plate mounted heater/fan in the other. We
liked both, for nice toasty showers/baths. In the new house we have
ceiling units like mentioned by the OP and find they are not as good as
those mounted lower in the room (9' ceilings probably have something to
do with it). It seems you don't feel the heat as much down where we
reside ... on the floor. Also, I found that the low mounted electric
heaters help dry off you body after a shower or bath; the ceiling one,
not as good. Never tried an IR unit. Sounds like it might be worth a
try for me. This winter we'll probably try a portable electric space
heater on the floor .... the heater police will probably be breaking
down my front door!
Posted to alt.home.repair

I love my Presto Heat Dish, available at Costco. When I walked by the one
they had on demo, and felt how it put heat out to about ten feet, I bought
one instantly. I really like this heater. If you have a Costco by you,
just go and see one working and do what you think. It is light, 110v. and
is just right for the bathroom. But, also, it is diferent than most heaters
because you can point it where you want the heat to go.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 30, 12:04*pm, (---MIKE---) wrote:
If you have a dryer in the bathroom, get a device called "more heat".
It goes in the exhaust line from the dryer and can be set to deflect
dryer heat into the bathroom. *I got mine at Home Depot.

---MIKE---

In the White Mountains of New Hampshire
(44 15' N - Elevation 1580')

Electric dryer I assume? Exhausting a gas dry into the house could be,
well, problematic.

My parent's have vented their electric dryer into their laundry room
during the winter for years. They get their "deflectors" from Mom's
dresser.

Dad cuts the leg off of a pair of her pantyhose and hose clamps it to
the dryer vent hose. When it get's "linty" he replaces it.
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
Steve B wrote:
I love my Presto Heat Dish, available at Costco. When I walked by the one
they had on demo, and felt how it put heat out to about ten feet, I bought
one instantly. I really like this heater. If you have a Costco by you,
just go and see one working and do what you think. It is light, 110v. and
is just right for the bathroom. But, also, it is diferent than most heaters
because you can point it where you want the heat to go.

Steve

Again, that column/cone of air between the red-hot coil and
your face gets heated enough for the humidity within it
to go WAY down, and can thus dry out your nasal passages
too much.

(Might not bother some of you, but sure bothers my nose!)

Probably a slight cross-breeze would be a help, like outdoors
or from a fan on low, would clear away that low-humidity air.

Then the only heat is radiative heat, which is exactly what
you want.

David

Recommended wood choices for bathroom cabinet blueman Woodworking 3 February 2nd 10 06:27 PM
Bathroom fan heater aboleth UK diy 9 December 21st 09 04:11 PM
Is This Right - Bathroom Fan Heater the_constructor UK diy 1 April 12th 08 03:16 AM
Bathroom Heater Leo Home Repair 4 December 8th 06 07:15 AM
bathroom heater [email protected] UK diy 1 September 16th 05 11:22 PM