Posted to alt.home.repair
Art Todesco Art Todesco is offline

Default Bathroom Heater Choices

On 10/29/2011 2:14 PM, Pete wrote:

I need to boost the heat in our bathroom because our forced air heating
system is set to 65-68 degF. The heater needs to run on 120V, so 1.5kW is
the limit.

Am i better off with an infrared heater such as this one:

http://tinyurl.com/3glupt3

or a ceiling fan heater such as this one:

http://tinyurl.com/44mohz6

or a plain vanilla wall mounted fan heater?

Any suggestions/experiences appreciated.

In my previous house, in the Chicago area, I had a wall mounted heater
in one bath (tub) and a vanity kick plate mounted heater in the other
(shower). Vanity kick plate unit was almost identical to this one:
http://www.amazon.com/Broan-Model-11.../dp/B0014ZME9K.
Google will find a ton of wall or baseboard mounts. These were great.
Only problem with the kick plate unit was standing in front of it while
it was running ... it was too hot. I should have mounted it to one side
or the other. In my new house I opted for ceiling mounted
heater/fan/light/nightlight above the shower and above the tub, in the
other bathroom as I needed the light. They work well, but they really
don't push the warm air all the way to the floor like the heaters in the
old house. The heat comes straight down, so it is very hot in the
shower/tub, but the rest of the room didn't get a lot of heat,
especially near the floor. I added a small metal diverter to push some
of the hot air to the other parts of the room, which makes the units
acceptable. Still, the floor area doesn't get a lot of warmth. I do
like the nightlight feature. I added a motion detector, instead of the
wall switch, which is pretty nice. Walk in, the night light turns on.
If I had to do it over, I'd probably go back to a wall mounted unit, or
a baseboard type unit, or the vanity kick plate (I have no vanity in
the shower room).