Posted to alt.home.repair
Pete[_14_] Pete[_14_] is offline

Default Bathroom Heater Choices

On Sat, 29 Oct 2011 11:14:04 -0700, Pete wrote:

I need to boost the heat in our bathroom because our forced air heating
system is set to 65-68 degF. The heater needs to run on 120V, so 1.5kW is
the limit.

Am i better off with an infrared heater such as this one:

http://tinyurl.com/3glupt3

or a ceiling fan heater such as this one:

http://tinyurl.com/44mohz6

or a plain vanilla wall mounted fan heater?

Any suggestions/experiences appreciated.

Thanks all for the suggestions.

I only need the extra heat when using the shower or tub. There is already a
250W heat lamp, but it is useless because the ceiling is higher than
normal.

I'm leaning towards the 1500W ceiling-mounted infrared heater, for several
reasons:

1. It avoids the room warm-up time of a fan heater.
2. You don't have to close the door to keep the heat in.
3. There should be a lot less heat lost via the room's extractor fan
(expecially if a fan heater and extractor fan are in the same unit).
4. It has no moving parts to break down.

(1, 2 and 3 apply because infrared heaters mostly heat objects, not air)

On the other hand, I'm guessing:

1. The warmth from an infrared heater is a lot less uniform as you move
around the room.
2. Infrared heaters are less suitable for thermostatic control (again,
because they don't heat the air much).

Time for some experiments!

--
Pete