Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Match indoor paint color

Need to paint my LR/DR walls. A certain beautiful green from a
picture mat.

I heard of a gadget -- spectro-something? -- that electronically
matches the color of the sample you bring in.

My nabe BM store doesn't have it.

Before I start calling around, does anyone have experience matching
colors with the gadget?

Appreciate your input.

HB
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Higgs Boson" wrote in message
Need to paint my LR/DR walls. A certain beautiful green from a
picture mat.

I heard of a gadget -- spectro-something? -- that electronically
matches the color of the sample you bring in.

My nabe BM store doesn't have it.

Before I start calling around, does anyone have experience matching
colors with the gadget?

Appreciate your input.

HB

Have used the Analyzer at both Lowes and H.D. with good results. Try to
take a "chip sample" about 1"x1" and they should do a good job. Bear in
mind that a picture mat will have been reproduced numerous times and a
perfect match will be a "guess and by -golly" situation !!

HTH

Bill

Posted to alt.home.repair

Higgs Boson wrote:
Need to paint my LR/DR walls. A certain beautiful green from a
picture mat.

I heard of a gadget -- spectro-something? -- that electronically
matches the color of the sample you bring in.

My nabe BM store doesn't have it.

Before I start calling around, does anyone have experience matching
colors with the gadget?

Appreciate your input.

Virtually everyone has experience with the "gadget." These "gadgets" can be
found at Lowes, Home Depot, Walmar Superstores, Ace, Sherwin-Williams, and
just about anywhere paint is sold.

The device will concoct a paint that is extremely close, if not perfect, to
the sample. Bear in mind that texture of the surface, sheen (gloss vs.
flat), undercoat*, and lighting can create a slight perception of difference
from your target color.

Buy a quart of quality tinted paint and try it out.

------------
* If you're going to apply a primer, get it tinted the same color.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Higgs Boson" wrote in message
Need to paint my LR/DR walls. A certain beautiful green from a
picture mat.

I heard of a gadget -- spectro-something? -- that electronically
matches the color of the sample you bring in.

My nabe BM store doesn't have it.

Before I start calling around, does anyone have experience matching
colors with the gadget?

Appreciate your input.

HB

Ace Hardware does it for me. WW

Posted to alt.home.repair

"HeyBub" wrote in
m:

Higgs Boson wrote:
[...]

Agree to tint. Suggest to tint at 75% level. Some places have this
option. Makes enough difference to minimize misses on the first coat of
paint over primer.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 21, 8:04*pm, Higgs Boson wrote:
Need to paint my LR/DR walls. *A certain beautiful green from a
picture mat.

I heard of a gadget -- spectro-something? -- that electronically
matches the color of the *sample you bring in.

My nabe BM store doesn't have it.

Before I start calling around, does anyone have experience matching
colors with the gadget?

Appreciate your input.

HB

Matched some paint to place mats a few years ago. Worked great.

Jimmie
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 21, 7:04*pm, Higgs Boson wrote:
Need to paint my LR/DR walls. *A certain beautiful green from a
picture mat.

I heard of a gadget -- spectro-something? -- that electronically
matches the color of the *sample you bring in.

My nabe BM store doesn't have it.

Before I start calling around, does anyone have experience matching
colors with the gadget?

Appreciate your input.

HB

nabe BM Did you mean "nearby" and "bricks & mortar"? If yoiur are
going to pretend to tweet, at least use the correct abbreviations.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 21, 10:03*pm, "hr(bob) "
wrote:
On Oct 21, 7:04*pm, Higgs Boson wrote:

Need to paint my LR/DR walls. *A certain beautiful green from a
picture mat.

I heard of a gadget -- spectro-something? -- that electronically
matches the color of the *sample you bring in.

My nabe BM store doesn't have it.

Before I start calling around, does anyone have experience matching
colors with the gadget?

Appreciate your input.

*nabe BM * *Did you mean "nearby" and "bricks & mortar"? *If yoiur are
going to pretend to tweet, at least use the correct abbreviations.

Neighborhood and Benjamin Moore.

To the OP, if your paint store doesn't have a color analyzer, it's not
a paint store. I'm surprised that BM lets them sell their paint if
they're that amateurish.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 21, 7:03*pm, "hr(bob) "
wrote:
On Oct 21, 7:04*pm, Higgs Boson wrote:

Need to paint my LR/DR walls. *A certain beautiful green from a
picture mat.

I heard of a gadget -- spectro-something? -- that electronically
matches the color of the *sample you bring in.

My nabe BM store doesn't have it.

Before I start calling around, does anyone have experience matching
colors with the gadget?

Appreciate your input.

HB

*nabe BM * *Did you mean "nearby" and "bricks & mortar"? *If yoiur are
going to pretend to tweet, at least use the correct abbreviations.

Not "pretending to tweet". Never tweeted in my life & not going to start now.

Most NG members understand "nabe" as "neighborhood".
Also commonly understood is BM for Benjamin Moore.

HB

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 21, 7:33*pm, RicodJour wrote:
On Oct 21, 10:03*pm, "hr(bob) "
wrote:

On Oct 21, 7:04*pm, Higgs Boson wrote:

Need to paint my LR/DR walls. *A certain beautiful green from a
picture mat.

I heard of a gadget -- spectro-something? -- that electronically
matches the color of the *sample you bring in.

My nabe BM store doesn't have it.

Before I start calling around, does anyone have experience matching
colors with the gadget?

Appreciate your input.

*nabe BM * *Did you mean "nearby" and "bricks & mortar"? *If yoiur are
going to pretend to tweet, at least use the correct abbreviations.

Neighborhood and Benjamin Moore.

To the OP, if your paint store doesn't have a color analyzer, it's not
a paint store. *I'm surprised that BM lets them sell their paint if
they're that amateurish.

Interesting feedback. This store is one of the oldest in the community; been there at least 60 years. Not "amateurish"; very experienced. I was hoping they would have the analyzer so I could buy my LR/DR paint from them like I've been doing since the Pleistocene. Sometimes an experienced eyeball can do almost as well as an electronic one -- at least I hope!

If I do have to get the picture mat analyzed by, say, Home Despot, is there anything they carry that is up to BM standards? Lowe's is not close to me. Also, don't think I'd need tinted primer: This is light-medium green over white. I should think a good quality paint would do it one-coat.

ALSO Important!: Guess I would need to take the picture apart so the analyzer doesn't get confused by the glass. (Damn shame; I paid a bundle at a good picture store for the framing..)

TIA

HB
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/21/2011 8:04 PM, Higgs Boson wrote:
Need to paint my LR/DR walls. A certain beautiful green from a
picture mat.

I heard of a gadget -- spectro-something? -- that electronically
matches the color of the sample you bring in.

My nabe BM store doesn't have it.

Before I start calling around, does anyone have experience matching
colors with the gadget?

Appreciate your input.

HB

This is top quality and a bit spendy but you will love the results, one
coat is way less work (URL probably will wrap):

http://www.ppgpittsburghpaints.com/o...rior/index.htm

John

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 22, 3:01*am, John wrote:
On 10/21/2011 8:04 PM, Higgs Boson wrote:

Need to paint my LR/DR walls. *A certain beautiful green from a
picture mat.

I heard of a gadget -- spectro-something? -- that electronically
matches the color of the *sample you bring in.

My nabe BM store doesn't have it.

Before I start calling around, does anyone have experience matching
colors with the gadget?

Appreciate your input.

HB

This is top quality and a bit spendy but you will love the results, one
coat is way less work (URL probably will wrap):

http://www.ppgpittsburghpaints.com/o...r_paints/manor...

John

Tx, John. Appreciate the referral. There's no dealership near me,
which does make me wonder a little. Also, their Web site emphasizes
trim, while I am looking for walls. However, every bit of info
helps. I will call them to see if they use the Analyzer.

HB
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 21 Oct 2011 19:47:12 -0500, Bill Hall wrote:

"Higgs Boson" wrote in message
Need to paint my LR/DR walls. A certain beautiful green from a
picture mat.

I heard of a gadget -- spectro-something? -- that electronically
matches the color of the sample you bring in.

My nabe BM store doesn't have it.

Before I start calling around, does anyone have experience matching
colors with the gadget?

Appreciate your input.

HB

Have used the Analyzer at both Lowes and H.D. with good results. Try to
take a "chip sample" about 1"x1" and they should do a good job. Bear in
mind that a picture mat will have been reproduced numerous times and a
perfect match will be a "guess and by -golly" situation !!

HTH

Bill

Go to Sherwin Williams. They will do the analysis and then hand mix to get
about as perfect a match as possible. Never had much luck with analysis
alone, no matter where I went.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Higgs Boson wrote:
Need to paint my LR/DR walls. A certain beautiful green from a
picture mat.

I heard of a gadget -- spectro-something? -- that electronically
matches the color of the sample you bring in.

My nabe BM store doesn't have it.

Before I start calling around, does anyone have experience matching
colors with the gadget?

Appreciate your input.

Another option (if you have a color printer).

Print out the entire Pantone Reference chart. Find the color on the chart
that matches your target.

Take the 1" square from the Pantone chart to the paint matcher.

The printing works best on a portrait (high resolution) printer with glossy
paper.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 22, 11:24*am, "HeyBub" wrote:
Higgs Boson wrote:
Need to paint my LR/DR walls. *A certain beautiful green from a
picture mat.

I heard of a gadget -- spectro-something? -- that electronically
matches the color of the *sample you bring in.

My nabe BM store doesn't have it.

Before I start calling around, does anyone have experience matching
colors with the gadget?

Appreciate your input.

Another option (if you have a color printer).

Print out the entire Pantone Reference chart. Find the color on the chart
that matches your target.

Take the 1" square from the Pantone chart to the paint matcher.

The printing works best on a portrait (high resolution) printer with glossy
paper.

Thanks to all for useful suggestions. Experience is priceless.

Pantone Reference Chart, it's one more tool in my quest for The Perfect Match.
But printing it out...I dunno, my color printer is not as good as HeyBub describes,
so I wouldn't be sure...

The Web site itself suggests:

""This chart is intended as a reference guide only. PANTONE Computer
Video
simulations displayed may not exactly match PANTONE®-identified color
standards.
Use current PANTONE Color Publications for most accurate color".

I think I will start with removing the mat from the picture and taking it to one of
the places being suggested by kind NG members, w/ or w/o Analyzer.

Stay tuned!

HB
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/22/2011 11:40 AM, Higgs Boson wrote:
On Oct 22, 3:01 am, wrote:
[...]

I used it for an accent wall, about 170 sq' in one coat. A light
silver-blue color in eggshell over a light peach satin. It took less
than a 1/2 gallon - one coat on textured plaster, just a few dots here
and there (due to cheapo roller no doubt) to touch up. By the way, a
flashlight works well to find the little suckers ... something I should
have figured out in my 64 years but didn't ... learned just recently

I highly recommend Pittsburgh paints but I don't think they have their
own stores scattered about the country. I live in the Pittsburgh area so
its not a problem for me. If you can find it, its about $45 ~ a gallon
and worth every penny, roller or brush it spreads like a dream, covers,
and doesn't run cause it dries quickly. Look in strictly paint stores
for someone that carries it - big-box is probably a non-starter.

John

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 22, 3:01 am, *wrote:
[...]

Thanks for more info, John. There are three stores in the area -- not close, but at least one is do-able.
You are making a strong case for this paint!

Question: I said the Web site emphasized trim. But you reported using it for an "äcccent wall".
Was it treated like trim? Did you use semi-gloss, or...?

TIA

HB
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 22, 3:01 am, wrote:
[...]

As I said its wall paint. Very good wall paint. It may be a good trim
paint if eggshell in a color is what you want for trim although it may
not wear well for trim paint as it is intended for walls where abrasion
generally isn't a problem.

Not sure what your question is?

John
Posted to alt.home.repair

Higgs Boson wrote:
[...]

Yeah, the warning is meant to caution you from going to the art supply store
and buying a tube of Pantone #656 oil paint and expecting it to match.

In my suggestion, you don't CARE whether the color swatches match the
official Pantone color scheme. You're just looking for a swatch that a)
matches your target (irrespective of the Pantone number, and b) You can take
to the paint store to duplicate.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 22, 3:01 am, * *wrote:
[...]

You answered it by saying it was wall paint. I only brought up the
point because their Web site seemed to emphasize trim.
I want wall paint for the walls (naturally g) but will also need
trim for windows, doors, etc.

Tx

HB
Posted to alt.home.repair

Before I start calling around, does anyone have experience matching
colors with the gadget?

Just about ANY place that sells paint (including Wally World) has a
gadget that will match your paint sample.

The color match is usually "spot on." The problem is finding the best
match for the texture. Typically, most paints only come in three
textures: flat, semi, and full gloss. If you are trying to match well
worn paint the textures will not quite match.

But it looks worse to you than it does to the average person just
walking by.

Appreciate your input.

HB

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 28 Oct 2011 13:27:23 -0400, John Gilmer wrote:

Before I start calling around, does anyone have experience matching
colors with the gadget?

Just about ANY place that sells paint (including Wally World) has a
gadget that will match your paint sample.

The color match is usually "spot on." The problem is finding the best
match for the texture. Typically, most paints only come in three
textures: flat, semi, and full gloss. If you are trying to match well
worn paint the textures will not quite match.

Eggshell is very common and matte is available in the better paints. Eggshell
is a good tradeoff (hides defects but is easy to clean).

But it looks worse to you than it does to the average person just
walking by.

Paint to the corners and no one will ever know.